Cult Players

Damián Leandro Casalinuovo

An Argentinian striker who played about a dozen games for Raith Rovers and scored 5 goals, but in among those dozen games were two iconic goals. One against the Pars at East End Park in a 2-0 win and one against Ayr United; a 96th minute equaliser to make it 2-2.

Harry Panayiotou

Again, played about a dozen games for Rovers and only scored two goals, but those goals came against Rangers at Starks Park in a 3-3 draw that prevented Rangers winning the league and a 1-0 first leg win over Hibs in the promotion play-offs.

Actually, thinking about it, the biggest cult player in my time following Rovers is Ronnie ‘Baresi’ Coyle. He’s sadly no longer with us, as he died from leukaemia in 2011 at the age of just 46. An absolute dream of a defender with the occasional bombshell thrown in. It was Ronnie that slipped away at Bayern Munich to let Klinsmann score. It was Ronnie who tried playing a ball across the box when we were 1-0 up against Rangers and Iain Ferguson scored. But he was a much beloved player among the Rovers support due to the other 99% of his play when he was showing his silky defensive qualities and earning the nickname ‘Baresi’.

7DDD8709-FE4C-4E2A-B569-43F5A41DDA35.jpeg

Simon stainrod at Falkirk early 1990's. Massive character, skills I've never witnessed and the confidence to go with it. Scored a wide variety of unbelievable goals including diving header versus Celtic, volleys, chips, curlers and the best goal I've ever witnessed in person, straight from the centre spot at kick off at mcdermid park. 57 yards into the wind and rain straight over the just previously celebrating st Johnstone goalie. Didn't even touch the ground. Was only with us a season and a half but scored about 20 spectacular goals (no tap ins), helped us win promotion and compete in the SPL. Always voted in the holy trinity of top 3 Falkirk players ever with Kevin mccallister and Russell latapy. Played at top in England including fa cup final . Also great at winding opposition up kneeling on ball during games, flicks,  over head kicks with back of heel etc

Edited by bridge of allan bairn

On 15/02/2023 at 08:09, Scary Bear said:

An Argentinian striker who played about a dozen games for Raith Rovers and scored 5 goals, but in among those dozen games were two iconic goals. One against the Pars at East End Park in a 2-0 win and one against Ayr United; a 96th minute equaliser to make it 2-2.

Harry Panayiotou

Again, played about a dozen games for Rovers and only scored two goals, but those goals came against Rangers at Starks Park in a 3-3 draw that prevented Rangers winning the league and a 1-0 first leg win over Hibs in the promotion play-offs.

I came to post Panayiotou!  Poplatnik also falls under this

On 15/02/2023 at 08:09, Scary Bear said:

I'm off to the Head's Gone thread at the very mention of this cheating b*****d's name. 

Anyway. For us it's the afore mentioned Chic. More recently Martin Hardie has taken on the mantle of "cult player wherever he goes", see also Britton, Gerard. 

Boab McCulloch for being the fattest man I think we've ever had at left back and a man incapable of scoring goals that weren't screamers. His name was actually Scott, but was called Boab as it was short for Roberto (as in Carlos). Wonderfully bizarre player and the epitome of a Dick Campbell signing for us.

• 3 weeks later...

This man. Stevie “Cartwheel “McCormick  who won the goalden boot in 1995-96 when Kevin Drinkell’s Stirling Albion side walked the league . Beat Pierre Van Hooydonk to the goalden boot and had the Albion Choir regularly singing “well who the f###s Pierre” 

laugh a minute guy who still goes live  on facebook with the supporters and stays down south but believe he’s coming up for final home game of the season 

completerly barmy but adorable 

43423BC3-5ED9-47F4-BFD4-EF07C13D0CBC.jpeg

5 hours ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

Davie Anderson is the best midfielder I've ever seen in the lower leagues and I mention him on a week-by-week basis in the hope his name makes it into at least one episode.

I think he may have been dubbed the Maradona of the Garnock Valley by Ladeside fans. No greater accolade, IMHO.

I think every QP who saw him has him in their all time QP XI.