Alloa v Queens

Greenacres

2 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Are we not the 2nd or 3rd most successful club in it historically? 

I've no idea, hopeless generally at stats but I do know I've been to all 5 finals Queens have made it to ... it is 5 isn't it?

Got to say I thought it was a pretty entertaining game tonight. Seemed like it was going to be a bit of a repeat of the league game with the early QotS goal and then Alloa coming back in to it, and we had more than enough chances at 2-1 and 2-2 to win the game, but lacked that killer touch. 

Couple of really well taken goals from either side, but felt Queens deserved their win overall. 

From our side it was good to see Durnan back tonight, almost like a new signing coming back in to the team, and he was unlucky not to score from a corner. For QotS I thought Todd and Cochrane really controlled the midfield well. 

Fair play to those that travelled up from Dumfries, more away fans than I expected and not sure I’d have made the journey if the game was down there tonight. 

I also thought it was pretty entertaining tonight and very open. We had so many chances in the second half in particular and should really have had the game won, but a lack of composure in front of goal from several players cost us. QoS overall a bit more clinical, although they also passed up a few opportunities. From the two viewings on the stream it looked like Connelly dived for the penalty but perhaps the highlights will provide a definitive answer. 

Good to see Durnan back but not convinced changing the shape at half time to accommodate him was particularly wise. We looked way more open at the back with the three, although you could also argue we created more chances after the break too. Standard musical chairs from the manager anyway. 

Enjoyed the game though and great to have a live stream again, with the bonus of it finishing just in time for the Argentina Netherlands pens 😁

9 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

This cup likes us, eh?

Aye, slate the tournament as much as you like, and some of it deserves much criticism, but it's given us a few great moments over the seasons, (Partick Thistle tee-hee) and a few howlers too of course. 

Two cracking strikes for Alloa last night but what a space the scorers had to get the shots away, who would have thought it. 

9 hours ago, Waspie said:

From the two viewings on the stream it looked like Connelly dived for the penalty but perhaps the highlights will provide a definitive answer. 

Good to see Durnan back

Ironically I think it was Durnan's stupidity that gave away the penalty. It's ridiculously soft and I'd say it's indeed a dive. But Durnan has his arm on him which obviously "gives the referee a decision to make". I'd be furious if that was against us (in a fixture I gave a shit about...) but I'd be equally annoyed with my defender for needlessly putting his arm across the attacker. 

Looked an entertaining game tbf. Good to see us being so clinical up front. I think if Alloa were as clinical as us they'd have been out of sight going by the highlights. It was makeshift at the back somewhat but looked as vulnerable as ever. Hopefully tighten up for the Kelty match. 

I thought we were the better team last night overall, but when the game was at 2-2 Alloa were on top for a spell and always thought the team that scored next would win. Thought Cochrane was man of the match by a mile for us and Connelly shows why you need to play him every week, what he lacks in work rate defensively he more than makes up for in output in my opinion. Noticed a few occasions where the defenders were reluctant to pass the ball back to the keeper, don’t think they seem to have too much faith in him to be honest. Overall good win, hopefully Linfield away if they beat Kelty later today.

2 hours ago, QoS99 said:

I thought we were the better team last night overall, but when the game was at 2-2 Alloa were on top for a spell and always thought the team that scored next would win. Thought Cochrane was man of the match by a mile for us and Connelly shows why you need to play him every week, what he lacks in work rate defensively he more than makes up for in output in my opinion. Noticed a few occasions where the defenders were reluctant to pass the ball back to the keeper, don’t think they seem to have too much faith in him to be honest. Overall good win, hopefully Linfield away if they beat Kelty later today.

Ironically the weakest of our 3 performances v Alloa for me but our 1st win. We were better last month and lost 5-1! 

Still thought we were just about worth the win. Again with the contrary nature of our Alloa games thought we were better 1st half than 2nd but turned round 2-1 down. Alloa will be fizzing at the ease Connelly ran down the middle of them so early. At 1-0 we had chances to make it two. Alloa didnt threaten all that much 1st half. Two long clearances from their keeper we didnt deal with. 1st one Max tipped wide. 2nd one King scores off the loose ball. And then a wonderful strike from Cawley. Was there a deflection? Didnt look it on stream but hard to be sure.

Was important we got back into it quickly 2nd half and again a cheap goal from Alloa's pov. Great cross from Todd. At 2-2 it could have gone either way and we got fortunate at times to remain level. Penalty was soft. Like to see a better angle on it but contact looked minimal on the stream. Very good kick though. Wonder if Lee is now on penalties as 1st choice. Or will Murray still be on them if on the pitch despite his Edinburgh miss? When it was given I wondered if Ruari would be back on them or even Wullie. 

Fair play to us for not trying to sit on 3-2 either. Great 4th goal. Gibbo unlucky with the Cawley like effort but great reaction from Todd to follow up. He had so much space but he's at least 3 yards onside when you see the replay. 

Still a couple of close things at the other end before full time mind, never completely comfortable. Thought we just about shaded it overall but not a lot in it. Happy to progress.

Edited by Skyline Drifter