Dumbarton vs Stenhousemuir

Outcome?  

25 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Great result. An ugly dig out in that second half but I thought our guys stepped up to keep the clean sheet, Long with a great save and Grant with some good defending late on. Declan Byrne changed us IMO, the pressing from the front allowed Gray to and our wide players to push up and we looked a much better threat. Hopefully we can get/keep Deco fit for the run in, he'll make a huge difference. Delighted to get back to winning ways.

Edited by The Moonster

I forgot how good Deco is at leading us in the oppositions half! I think we probably took him a bit for granted at times before he was out but I'd now say if we can get him fit and Wallace in behind then we would be so much more of a threat going forward. Something which could be huge moving into the most important part of the season.

Great to see the commitment and desire back in the guys. It wasn't perfect but I reckon we wanted that win more than Stenny and the guys who came in really done well. Amazing the difference one game can make but we now need to push on and build on that by putting another run together.

After the real downer of Saturday that was a performance of grit, spirit and desire tonight from Sons, so a hearty well done for a potentially vital win against opponents who have recently rolled the dice signings-wise.

Football sometimes works in strange ways and from a bare bones-looking starting eleven we had Peter Grant and Declan Byrne enter to make strong cases for regular places, but to be honest although it was never a pretty affair the attitude and commitment across the team was excellent.

Stenny will feel that at least a point was there for them, but although they really shuffled the pack in the second half we were able to see it out.  The only real negative from me was an erratic refereeing performance for both teams. 

That was much more like it. As others have said, Declan Byrne was superb, just buzzing about not giving the Stenny defence any time on the ball. And what a way for Finlay Gray to mark his 21st. He'll never forget that. Brilliant. Onwards and upwards from here hopefully.

Well, given that we were fortunate to take maximum points from our last two games, role reversal tonight, where on the balance of play we deserved a point. But them’s the breaks. Our keeper continues to give me the fear.

Another odd team selection from Naysmith but I am supposing there were fitness issues at play. 

Huge game on Saturday, and back to the astro thankfully.

21 minutes ago, Nigel Blackwell said:

Well, given that we were fortunate to take maximum points from our last two games, role reversal tonight, where on the balance of play we deserved a point. But them’s the breaks. Our keeper continues to give me the fear.

Another odd team selection from Naysmith but I am supposing there were fitness issues at play. 

Huge game on Saturday, and back to the astro thankfully.

Did you really think you were worth a point? We weren't as comfortable in the second half but I thought we well deserved the 3 points. Our 'keeper had one (very good) save to make where I thought we created a few wee half chances in the first half and one of two in the second too.

Overall I thought we wanted the win more, even though I had a tiny bit of fear given how late you scored a few weeks back... 

I felt we benefitted from the Stenny team selection; for example I thought Gavin Reilly offered more threat when he came on than Tam Orr had managed in considerably more time on the pitch.

Aye, the pitch. It's not the best, and then some, but presumably the Board has prioritised the income from Rangers B over other considerations. Whatever, it seemed to disconcert Stenny at times and especially their keeper, hardly surprising considering they play on astro.

As has been said, a good three points dug out in challenging circumstances but let's now see if we can carry the attitude and performance down to our traditional graveyard of Stair Park.

I had the fear going into last night but glad we got away with 3 points.

top marks to Gray/Grant/Orsi/O’Byrne all played great.

Maybe the had an off night but considering how much people had been talking them up, I thought stenny were average. Couple of scares at our goal but we sat back as we do. Most goal kicks went out the park along with a lot of cross balls etc. 

Didnt see the game but a massive result and it seemed we bossed the first half at least.We must keep this going vs Stranraer and I wonder if there may be changes to keep legs fresh.If Div is fit he could come in for Mckee.Also maybe McNiff back in.At least we seem to have options but 2 midweek games in a row can cause injuries etc so we will need everyone.

Fantastic performance last night. Last night should end suggestions for two up front. We played a 4-5-1 but it was less passive than usual because Declan Bryne did a huge amount of work initiating a relatively high press - a really nice change. We didn’t even sit back near the end, although as you can see that also leads to some nervy moments so dropping off near the end isn’t always the worst idea. 

I wish we could press like that every game, however with Wallace or Rusty it’s difficult as they aren’t really mobile enough to initiate the press.

Having 3 in midfield made us much more compact. On Saturday neither of Wallace or Rusty dropped back in so we completely lost control of the game. The through ball for Elgins first goal perfectly demonstrated the wide space in central midfield where Blair would usually have been to intercept.

Nice goal for Findlay, thought he was great especially later in the game. Definitely needs to work on his final ball and when to release it. 

Peter Grant was very solid, pleased about that as I was worried about his lack of pace but on that showing he’s a far more appropriate option than McGeever. If Carsy is fit at the weekend I wouldn’t mind him playing next to Grant as Buchanan looks so shaky again right now and is always close to big mistake defensively - our worst player last night I thought.

Ross McLean looks a shadow of the player who joined us. I think he lost a lot of pace during the summer and after the injury he had and has never regained it.

Man of the match for Declan Bryne imo - so much pressing and running into channels. If he stays fit I think he’ll be crucial for us in the run in. Wouldn’t be against resting him at the weekend so he’s fit for Stirling next Tuesday as he was struggling with some cramps (probably due to lack of match fitness).

26 minutes ago, lorenzo71 said:

Didnt see the game but a massive result and it seemed we bossed the first half at least.We must keep this going vs Stranraer and I wonder if there may be changes to keep legs fresh.If Div is fit he could come in for Mckee.Also maybe McNiff back in.At least we seem to have options but 2 midweek games in a row can cause injuries etc so we will need everyone.

I honestly think McKee is pretty crucial for us. His ability to consistently play simple passes and control the ball makes us so much more secure in possession. As good as Findlay was last night, I’d be 50-50 between him and Wilson because he’s also impressed me over the past couple of months.

You might call it "initiating the press" or you might equally label it "chargin' aroon' after the baw" but either way it was effective - great to see Byrne back in the side.

With Finlay Gray looking far more reminiscent of his early season performances and Grant offering a reassuring showing at the back, I'm feeling optimistic about the weeks ahead. 

Great stuff.

Edited by George Parr