Happy 150th Birthday, International Football

VincentGuerin

Scotland 0-0 England, 150 years ago today.  The first officially recognised international match.

If we'd got through the play-offs, the fixture would have been repeated at the World Cup 149 years, 364 days later. That would have been pretty cool, but life doesn't work like that.

Scotland long held the upper hand in the fixture, with England only nudging into the lead in the head-to-head in 1983. They now lead by 48 wins to 41.

International football caught on.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Pictures like that make me think a couple of things:

1. If I ever invent a time machine, I'll be heading back to see if codified football really did look like jesters mud wrestling, and
  2. Being picked at centre-back was clearly the equivalent of being picked last in PE. Nobody was wanting to stand near old stinky Greenhalgh.

Shame it's passed so low key but at least it's been marked.

Couple of points I've always wondered: was it deliberately scheduled for St Andrews Day (did that register much to Victorians?) or was it just coincidence? Plus did Scotland genuinely play 2-2-6 and England 1-2-7 with effectively an extra 'left winger'?

23 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Shame it's passed so low key but at least it's been marked.

Couple of points I've always wondered: was it deliberately scheduled for St Andrews Day (did that register much to Victorians?) or was it just coincidence? Plus did Scotland genuinely play 2-2-6 and England 1-2-7 with effectively an extra 'left winger'?

The original 4-6-0 was when Spurs started playing with only five up front.

How shit were they all that the game finished 0-0? They didn't even have the offside rule. To commemorate the match, they should have have a Scotland v England friendly and forced them to play the same formations.