Lithgie Rose v Rovers

RRFC2711

Just now, Specky Ginger said:

I honestly have to say the Linlithgow fans around me were as sound as the proverbial pounds.

Agree. Fans of both teams mixed with absolutely no bother and just friendly banter around us. Refreshing to be in a ground where you could switch ends. 

Solid if unspectacular performance from Rovers. We definitely had more quality overall which showed in the second half and it never really felt like a shock was on the cards. Looking forward to Motherwell in the next round. I think we can have a right good go at them at Stark’s. 

An unfortunate failure to learn lessons from the Rose in that second half. You can't play that high a line with that slow a defence. Gullan could've had four, quite easily. Good to see him staying central and running at goal, though, after a first half mostly spent floating about on the wing again. 

1 hour ago, Auld Heid said:

Hopefully the young Raith fan who took the hit from the ball is OK it looked a sore one.

I saw that on the RaithTV coverage, looked like he/she went down like a pole axed coo. As you say, hopefully OK and perhaps Jamie can give them a jersey.

As for the rest, kind words, thank you. I must say that on the basis of the first half I would have put Linlithgow no worse than a League Two side, perhaps higher. The second half seemed to show a bit of difference in conditioning and depth, but still a good show by The Gallant. Prestonfield looks a right cracking wee stadium, and the grass condition was brilliant.

7 minutes ago, Against The Machine said:

An unfortunate failure to learn lessons from the Rose in that second half. You can't play that high a line with that slow a defence. Gullan could've had four, quite easily. Good to see him staying central and running at goal, though, after a first half mostly spent floating about on the wing again. 

Gullan left their number 2 for stoor quite a few times, I bet he wishes he could play against him every week.

I enjoyed the game which was played in good spirits by both teams.

Linlithgow really grafted hard and ran out of steam but credit to Raith. These games aren't easy and I thought they matched the Linlithgow players for attitude and when you do that the quality will show in the end. I wouldn't say anyone stood out as a right good player but as a team collective they were never really in trouble.

Again though you are coming away from a game in this country and the officiating is bottom of the barrel. The referee was poor and the stand side linesman absolutely clueless. Raith won't bother about it now but that goal which was cancelled twice just beggars belief.

In addition to the farce in the second half, Gullan (I think) was flagged offside in the first half when running clean through one on one and he was at least a yard onside. Not a fine night for the officials.

Those around me pointed out the ref blew the whistle before the ball hit the net but we got the free kick so no idea what was going on.

Thought you had a right professional performance and aside from the Stowe chance we didn’t really get a sniff.

Usually when playing against a team your level we come up short up front and centre half, mainly on the physical side and that proved the case last night.

A performance we can be proud of though and the players will improve from playing against a higher team.

Good luck in the next round, second time we’ve played Raith. No hassle and a good set of fans you can have a laugh with.

Hail the Gallant! 🌹 

53 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

In addition to the farce in the second half, Gullan (I think) was flagged offside in the first half when running clean through one on one and he was at least a yard onside. Not a fine night for the officials.

It was Connolly, but you're spot on - he was well onside as I was standing right in line with it.

Decent cup tie, had the rose put away that chance in the first half it could have been really awkward or an even better game. 

Rovers were professional apart from a few heads gone at the refereeing decisions and saw the game out well. The high line caused us problems and a very tricky cup tie navigated.  

Linlithgow started the game as I suspected, came out all guns blazing and put us under immediate pressure. Can't really remember MacDonald having a save to make throughout the game though and apart from a couple of balls flashed across goal from us we didn't really cause them any huge issues in the 1st half. Fortunate as well that their boy couldn't finish his tea with that glorious chance. 2nd half it was one way traffic and probably a combination of Linlithgow players getting tired and our full time status/additional quality got us through the tie. 

Whilst there was never any danger of their being any bother I'd have much rathered segregation was in place so all the Rovers fans were together, was zero atmosphere having everyone spread about the stadium.

13 minutes ago, Rover1990 said:

Just read Murrays interview int he Courier.  Refs reasoning for the goal being disallowed was the defender had to stretch to get to it.....hopefully these refs don't get put in charge of another Scottish cup tie for a while.

You only need to go back a couple of weeks for a high profile (and more extreme example - Liverpool scoring against) Wolves in the FA Cup, Salah being ruled onside as the defender made a deliberate play on the ball, as he was trying to cut it out whereas this was just (in my opinion) a header back towards the keeper.

12 minutes ago, true_rover said:

You only need to go back a couple of weeks for a high profile (and more extreme example - Liverpool scoring against) Wolves in the FA Cup, Salah being ruled onside as the defender made a deliberate play on the ball, as he was trying to cut it out whereas this was just (in my opinion) a header back towards the keeper.

The refs in this country are a joke.  How he can rule it a goal then change his mind is bizarre. Then to say the defender had to stretch for the ball.....i'm sure most people have to stretch for a ball when trying to header it, he still intended to play it.

4 hours ago, R.R.FC said:

Think it was Connolly, he was at least a yard and a half onside, didn't help that the lino was constantly 2 to 3 yards behind play

Edited by Wildrover