Scottish Football Heading Ban

22 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I don't watch a lot of rugby but they tend not to head the ball much.    Where do the concussions happen? Badly judged tackles?

Believe it or not , that's a serious question.

I found that some fairly minor cheating against Lismore 2nd XV resulted in me being punched in the head repeatedly by their number 6 but I think that's the exception. Luckily he was almost as bad at punching as his dad was at refereeing

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

25 minutes ago, Merkland Red said:

We took our under 9s team to play in the Blackpool cup in the summer. We're not allowed to introduce headers in to training until they're 12 (I think).

English teams had the ball in the air almost all the time, with set piece routines used at every opportunity. Tough watch.

Back at the dawn of football there was a difference between the English approach and the "Scotch" game. The English tended to go in for hacking, the Scots were renowned for dribbling the ball to try and beat opponents.

Would less emphasis on heading lead to better emphasis on other skills I wonder. It used to be the last resort of the desperate manager to "stick the big lad up front and launch balls at him" in the hope of getting a headed goal 

7 hours ago, tamthebam said:

Back at the dawn of football there was a difference between the English approach and the "Scotch" game. The English tended to go in for hacking, the Scots were renowned for dribbling the ball to try and beat opponents.

Literally the complete opposite when it comes to dribbling.

In Scotland we invented the combination, or passing, game.

The English version was based on one guy dribbling and everyone else charging after him.

Our use of space and positioning is why we dominated the first decades of the fixture, and of course led to the term Scotch Professor. 

9 hours ago, tamthebam said:

It used to be the last resort of the desperate manager to "stick the big lad up front and launch balls at him" in the hope of getting a headed goal 

This is still very much used in Scotland.

22 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

Rugby is a difficult comparator, because you need to be fucking daft in the first place to play it.

Hey that’s not fair. I’ve many happy memories from my rugby days though the injuries were worse than boxing. Never liked getting cold and muddy either.

I have not read the three pages but just wanted to add my own experience.  I had a partial detached retina caused by a ball volleyed into my face at the five a sides.  (That event is irrelevant to the heading debate).  I was advised by the doctor to never again head the ball.  I play 5 or 6 asides on an outdoor pitch with no head height rule.  There aren’t a lot of high balls but occasionally I find myself going up for a header, it is instinctive.

It would be interesting to see how any restriction to heading within the game played out.

People would get used to it, just like keepers don't handle backpasses any more. I think a ban on heading in the game is a long way away though, even this SFA report said something along the lines of "heading the ball is part of football".

21 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

People would get used to it, just like keepers don't handle backpasses any more. I think a ban on heading in the game is a long way away though, even this SFA report said something along the lines of "heading the ball is part of football".

Temporary head assessment substitutions should be already be in place.  I think a ban on heading is decades away. 

On 30/11/2022 at 10:29, Shandon Par said:

Hey that’s not fair. I’ve many happy memories from my rugby days though the injuries were worse than boxing. Never liked getting cold and muddy either.

Is it yourself that talks about boxing before? Did you have many fights and get many injuries? 

1 hour ago, HeWhoWalksBehindTheRows said:

Is it yourself that talks about boxing before? Did you have many fights and get many injuries? 

Didn’t start until I was about 30. Did the odd contest but mainly just gym sparring with decent standard guys or fresh young pups needing tempered. Some places just do body sparring but I always did full contact. You could get a headache but there’s nothing like getting your head smashed about to help you learn how to not get hard/take the sting out of shots etc. If you’re fit and sharp and know how to defend yourself you can go long spells without getting hit too clean. Would get worse injuries from a typical night out. 

21 hours ago, Shandon Par said:

Didn’t start until I was about 30. Did the odd contest but mainly just gym sparring with decent standard guys or fresh young pups needing tempered. Some places just do body sparring but I always did full contact. You could get a headache but there’s nothing like getting your head smashed about to help you learn how to not get hard/take the sting out of shots etc. If you’re fit and sharp and know how to defend yourself you can go long spells without getting hit too clean. Would get worse injuries from a typical night out. 

See the source image