Scottish Football Heading Ban

3 hours ago, DiegoDiego said:

I know a girl on a rugby scholarship in the US. She had to take a maths course equivalent to standard grade which she was smashing, full marks on everything. Then she got a concussion and her next mark was 40%. It was over two months before they allowed her in competitive action.

I believe pro rugby has a concussion test which you sit pre-season and they compare your scores if a concussion is suspected,  It was however suggested some players were playing dumb in the benchmark test so if they did get concussed they had a higher chance of blagging through and getting close enough to their baseline score.

I think it was last chance u I was watching where a young american footballer was being re-assesed to be allowed to play again after a long lay off.  He was giving all the right answers when being asked by the medic(no sickness, dizzieness etc) He then later tells the camara that his head was absolutely spinning doing sprints etc but he was desperate to play and wasn't going to risk having to sit out longer by being honest.    Its madness in terms of long-term health, but you can see why players do it.  

I'm positively surprised by the PFA being so supportive, hopefully that's a sign of the message getting through not to play on and also to be looking out for there fellow pro's who may be trying to push through. 

Edited by parsforlife

The obvious difference between sports like rugby and American football is that you are more likely to get a concussion from a head injury in those sports - aside from scenarios like Murdo McLeod vs Branco in 1990 you don't get concussed from heading a football, it's the cumulative impact of heading balls time and time again that seems to be the issue.

20 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

The obvious difference between sports like rugby and American football is that you are more likely to get a concussion from a head injury in those sports - aside from scenarios like Murdo McLeod vs Branco in 1990 you don't get concussed from heading a football, it's the cumulative impact of heading balls time and time again that seems to be the issue.

Whilst I agree, those 2 sports also are looking at repetitive load happening during training which don't result in concussions. 

5 hours ago, cyderspaceman said:

I don't watch a lot of rugby but they tend not to head the ball much.    Where do the concussions happen? Badly judged tackles?

Believe it or not , that's a serious question.

A mate says it’s usually towards the end of a game of soggy biscuit.

5 minutes ago, johnnydun said:

What were the age range of the subjects? I would like to see what ball they were using. Even today's balls are lighter weight than a Mitre Delta when I was a kid. 

Lighter, which means they travel faster so as much force on impact(if not more given we accept players are more athletic than they were) 

34 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Lighter, which means they travel faster so as much force on impact(if not more given we accept players are more athletic than they were) 

Nah, it's definitely less painful now heading a ball than it was in the 80's, even the 90's imo. I get why they would stop the repetitive heading drills, but crossing scenarios etc in training, you might only head the ball 2-3 times over a 10 minute drill. I might be against the grain on my thoughts but it's just the way I see it.

I'll  be surprised if many FT clubs don't  still do set piece/cross and finish on a Friday.

I was thinking today about the impact studies. Are they contemporaneous, or studies on retired players from earlier era? 

Will the balls used now have the same impact as the ones used in the 60s? 

1 hour ago, johnnydun said:

Nah, it's definitely less painful now heading a ball than it was in the 80's, even the 90's imo. I get why they would stop the repetitive heading drills, but crossing scenarios etc in training, you might only head the ball 2-3 times over a 10 minute drill. I might be against the grain on my thoughts but it's just the way I see it.

Maybe your bonce is just getting harder. 

Arbitrary limits to heading in training without any evidence backing up the rationale for doing so is no use especially when it looks like theres no way to assess whether the measures taken will work and won't be known until players are much older.

Would be better to just ban it completely, though this would need to be done by the organ grinder (FIFA) rather than the monkey (SFA). 

Study cohort is professional footballers, but it would be interesting to see if amateur level players are affected too.

It's tricky, since we know it's a problem, but also know that measuring the effectiveness of any counter measures could take years.

I wasn't a big fan of heading. I could do it fine when trying to score goals, but when defending it always hit square on the top of my head. That's not fun.

Clubs could still do set piece training the day before a game without actually heading the ball surely. I’d say that’s what they probably do anyway, working off pitch on where to run and who to mark, with the takers practicing where to deliver the ball to and any short corners or special corners they’re going to take in the game.

11 hours ago, johnnydun said:

What were the age range of the subjects? I would like to see what ball they were using. Even today's balls are lighter weight than a Mitre Delta when I was a kid. 

Mate, an elephant is lighter than the old football tubs were.  Especially when playing in the rain as we mad f******s did!