Scottish Football Heading Ban

Seems like a sensible approach to take given the new information coming out about the risks of brain damage from heading.  However, do many professional clubs train the day before and after matches?  

I listened to a couple of podcasts recently about concussion in rugby - there's obviously a higher level of risk in rugby given the nature of the game.  Some interesting history - the rugby authorities recommended in the early 1990s for players suffering a concussion sit out for a minimum of three weeks and return after being signed off by a neurologist.  By the late 2000s that had changed to six days and sign off by a medical professional!  I'm sure this was based on robust scientific and medical evidence and not because rugby was now professional and clubs didn't want to lose players for weeks at a time.

Edited by ICTChris

25 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

Seems like a sensible approach to take given the new information coming out about the risks of brain damage from heading.  However, do many professional clubs train the day before and after matches? 

According to Chris McLaughlin teams tend to work on set pieces the day before a game.

Perhaps you should read the post I have quoted.
And perhaps clubs could just do their set piece routines a day earlier assuming the great sage McLaughlin is right in the first place or is he thinking players memories are already too damaged to remember things for an extra day.

The announcement today is very easy for clubs to comply with but no doubt media slavers like McLaughlin and Co will try to whip this up into some sort of "worlds gone mad" crusade.

And perhaps clubs could just do their set piece routines a day earlier assuming the great sage McLaughlin is right in the first place or are you thinking players memories are already too damaged to remember things for an extra day.

The announcement today is very easy for clubs to comply with but no doubt media slavers like McLaughlin and Co will try to whip this up into some sort of "worlds gone mad" crusade.

Sorry that should be is he rather than are you

10 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

And perhaps clubs could just do their set piece routines a day earlier assuming the great sage McLaughlin is right in the first place or are you thinking players memories are already too damaged to remember things for an extra day.

The announcement today is very easy for clubs to comply with but both doubt media slavers like McLaughlin and Co will try to whip this up into some sort of "wirkds gone mad" crusade.

What on earth are you banging on about? @ICTChris asked if teams tend to train the day before and after matches and I responded with what McLaughlin reported (who is probably more in the know than us) as I happened to be watching his report on BBC news while reading the thread. Nothing more, nothing less. No comment about how teams will adapt to the change.

Edited by Mr. Brightside

9 minutes ago, Billy Jean King said:

And perhaps clubs could just do their set piece routines a day earlier assuming the great sage McLaughlin is right in the first place or is he thinking players memories are already too damaged to remember things for an extra day.

They could. But I think the reason it's standard to do this the day before a game is for two reasons. Firstly, to make it as fresh in the mind as possible going into the fixture and having been worked on with the actual team, which has probably been picked by then. Secondly, because you don't want to be doing your hard running and big physical exertion work the day before a game, so set-pieces and shape work for the game ahead makes more sense on two levels.

I'm not against the change, but that's what coaches might argue.

1 hour ago, ICTChris said:

I listened to a couple of podcasts recently about concussion in rugby - there's obviously a higher level of risk in rugby given the nature of the game.  Some interesting history - the rugby authorities recommended in the early 1990s for players suffering a concussion sit out for a minimum of three weeks and return after being signed off by a neurologist.  By the late 2000s that had changed to six days and sign off by a medical professional!  I'm sure this was based on robust scientific and medical evidence and not because rugby was now professional and clubs didn't want to lose players for weeks at a time.

I don't watch a lot of rugby but they tend not to head the ball much.    Where do the concussions happen? Badly judged tackles?

Believe it or not , that's a serious question.

5 minutes ago, cyderspaceman said:

I don't watch a lot of rugby but they tend not to head the ball much.    Where do the concussions happen? Badly judged tackles?

Believe it or not , that's a serious question.

Yes, head knocks happen in tackling or in rucks, mauls etc.  It's not just about badly judged tackles - you can be fairly tackled and suffer a head knock, concussion or not.

Edited by ICTChris

I know a girl on a rugby scholarship in the US. She had to take a maths course equivalent to standard grade which she was smashing, full marks on everything. Then she got a concussion and her next mark was 40%. It was over two months before they allowed her in competitive action.

1 hour ago, Stringer Bell said:

This is the future liberals want. A world where the bullet header does not exist.

It's quite possible that heading the ball will not exist sometime  the future but I wouldn't class that as being liberal.

More like restrictive. 

Heading could be made optional...     🤕

eta    the last bit was an attempt at humour.

Edited by cyderspaceman