SFSA survey on alcohol advertising in football

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Is alcohol sponsorship really as big as it’s maybe being made out to be here? There was a time where alcohol sponsorship was more common IMO. Both the Old Firm had alcoholic sponsorship for ages. Hibs and Hearts have had them. Even Saints had the Famous Grouse in the 90s (a far superior sponsor to BINN group aesthetically, that’s for sure). Nowadays I can’t think of any SPFL club that has an alcoholic sponsor. What there does seem to be a lot of is gambling company sponsors, which I’d argue is worse than alcohol. I’m not a fan of this culture we have of demonising alcohol in football. I get that it’s not for everyone but for the majority of us it’s absolutely fine when enjoyed responsibly and it should be taught as such. I’m not convinced ending alcoholic sponsorship would make a difference, just like the stadium alcohol ban hasn’t made a difference to people being pissed up at games.

Motherwell have Glen's on the back of the shirts and they sponsor the Player of the Month award. Before that we had Tullibardine Distillery. Definitely not as prominent as it used to be. Booze companies have been priced out by the bookies.

Paddy Power gave Motherwell a lucrative deal to NOT sponsor our strips.

3 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Aye this is mad temperance shite.

Not content with having booze banned at the football they want to ban alcohol adverts and sponsorship from the game too.

I think you've stumbled on a compromise. Let us drink and do away with the adverts.

12 hours ago, Leith Green said:

It irritates me more than it should that the SFSA get airtime as if they are the "voice of the fans" when all they really have is a very narrow view of what a small number of our fans think.

8 hours ago, Durnford said:

Its not difficult to see which way the creators of that survey were leaning.

Which is why we need as many normal fans as possible to tell them what we really want.

That said, I'm not sure how much attention gets paid to them by the SFA/Scottish government. They'd probably only use the survey if it suits their own agenda.

13 hours ago, Leith Green said:

It irritates me more than it should that the SFSA get airtime as if they are the "voice of the fans" when all they really have is a very narrow view of what a small number of our fans think.

I hadn't even heard of them until this thread.

9 hours ago, Durnford said:

Its not difficult to see which way the creators of that survey were leaning.

Aye, they aren't even hiding it. Pretty poor stuff.

17 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

banning smoking ads did nothing to rate of decline of smokers. in some ways banning tabacco sponsorship was a big giveaway to the industry, it wasn't about getting people to smoke it was about getting smokers to pick a brand. The large brands got insulated from competition and they no longer had to pay out millions to compete with each other for ad space.

Is there any established links between problem drinking and advertising?

As  for gambling advertising i think there is very little link between seeing dafabet on a Celtic top and problem gambling. Gamblers are aware that bookies exist. Gambling ads are about which bookie you want to lay your bet with. I would ban ads that give promotional odds

I think you've completely made that stuff up about tobacco advertising. It's completely at odds with what i was told by a tobacco company.  Evidence please. 

16 hours ago, Ray Patterson said:

Far better having an Alcohol sponsor than a Gambling or Crypto sponsor.

Also good when it's a local business like when Eden Mill were United's sponsor.

Seeing "Wonga" on the front of the Hearts shirt made me nostalgic for Strongbow

And I don't even like Cider much

5 hours ago, coprolite said:

I think you've completely made that stuff up about tobacco advertising. It's completely at odds with what i was told by a tobacco company.  Evidence please. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_in_the_United_Kingdom

You can look at the graph yourself. It is a pretty steady decline.

Of course banning public advertising is only one of the factors to consider in the drop and the least significiant imo.

Family members dying linked directly to smoking is the biggest one. Banning smoking indoors, raising the age to 18, banning shop display (arguably that is  advertising but not the type of ads we are talking about), huge tax levies, public health campaigns.

All more effective measures than changing the name of a few snooker tournaments.

When did you speak to this tabacco company?

There are a million and one reasons why people drink.

Your team being sponsored by an alcohol company isnt, and never will be, one of them.

Wouldnt be against individual clubs refusing certain types of sponsors on moral grounds, or a ban on bevvy sponsors on childrens kits, but thats about the extent of it.

Edited by Jacky1990

15 hours ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoking_in_the_United_Kingdom

You can look at the graph yourself. It is a pretty steady decline.

Of course banning public advertising is only one of the factors to consider in the drop and the least significiant imo.

Family members dying linked directly to smoking is the biggest one. Banning smoking indoors, raising the age to 18, banning shop display (arguably that is  advertising but not the type of ads we are talking about), huge tax levies, public health campaigns.

All more effective measures than changing the name of a few snooker tournaments.

When did you speak to this tabacco company?

About 2015 or 2016. It was one of a number of factors that was leading them to focus their marketing on developing countries. Other factors were that they were c***s and loved money. 

There's a fairly steep drop following the final ban in 2013

https://news.cancerresearchuk.org/2017/05/19/this-is-the-end-of-tobacco-advertising/

I had a look at some academic stuff yesterday because i'm a bit of a nerd. Most found some link between advertising and smoking rates. The most interesting one (bear with me, this is relevant) found only weak relationships between partial bans and reduction of smoking and strong relationships where the ban was complete. 

That, to me, strongly suggests that a ban in football alcohol  sponsorship would be ineffective without a comprehensive media wide ban. 

I think your claims about a ban benefitting big brands are a bit wild, but i do agree with you that only banning advertising won't have much effect. 

Does society have the appetite to shut down the alcoholic drinks industry like tobacco? I doubt it.