SFSA survey on alcohol advertising in football

Snooker and motor racing were both supposed to die when tabs were put on the naughty list. 

Other sponsors turned up. 

It's undeniable that alcohol causes harm to individuals and society. 

There's probably decent reasons to do this. 

On the other hand, sweets, fizzy drinks, gambling etc all cause their own problems. Are we going to turn them all down? 

I don't feel particularly strongly about this either way, but it feels like it's being driven by an anti football agenda more than a pro health one. Unless i missed the call to rugby sponsorship too? 

If it was betting companies i'd be 100% behind a ban. 

banning smoking ads did nothing to rate of decline of smokers. in some ways banning tabacco sponsorship was a big giveaway to the industry, it wasn't about getting people to smoke it was about getting smokers to pick a brand. The large brands got insulated from competition and they no longer had to pay out millions to compete with each other for ad space.

Is there any established links between problem drinking and advertising?

As  for gambling advertising i think there is very little link between seeing dafabet on a Celtic top and problem gambling. Gamblers are aware that bookies exist. Gambling ads are about which bookie you want to lay your bet with. I would ban ads that give promotional odds

8 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

As  for gambling advertising i think there is very little link between seeing dafabet on a Celtic top and problem gambling. Gamblers are aware that bookies exist. Gambling ads are about which bookie you want to lay your bet with. I would ban ads that give promotional odds

Similarly I think dragon soup are playing rather fast and loose with how big they show the alcohol % on their adds, Its clearly a nudge to say if buy our booze, it'll f**k you up. 

29 minutes ago, coprolite said:

Snooker and motor racing were both supposed to die when tabs were put on the naughty list. 

Other sponsors turned up. 

Its interesting to see how sponsorship has changed.  Sport always seems to attract the 'vices'   It was tobacco, but they banned the sponsorship, so booze featured heavily, but its been pulled back, so now we have gambling,  and with gambling with traditional bookies becoming frowned upon its cyrpto to stock trading apps( you know the ones with like 90% of customers losing money) for another form of it.  Christ even CBD are beginning to get in on the act.

5 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Similarly I think dragon soup are playing rather fast and loose with how big they show the alcohol % on their adds, Its clearly a nudge to say if buy our booze, it'll f**k you up. 

As someone who doesn't drink Dragon Soop i am not the target market but where do you even see ads for it?

The so-called problem drinks like Buckfast don't see much advertising either. Most alcohol ads are for lager and cider. Trying to convince you to get a pint of their drink instead of something else. In scottish football most prominent sponsors I remember are Magners, Carling, Tennents, Strongbow, Crabbies, McEwans.

23 minutes ago, parsforlife said:

Sport always seems to attract the 'vices' 

Mainly because these vices are looking for men aged 18+ and football has that demographic. But it isn't like that is the only place you see gambling ads. TV shows that are geared towards women are surrounded with ads for Bingo or Slots gambling.

3 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

As someone who doesn't drink Dragon Soop i am not the target market but where do you even see ads for it?

The so-called problem drinks like Buckfast don't see much advertising either. Most alcohol ads are for lager and cider. Trying to convince you to get a pint of their drink instead of something else. In scottish football most prominent sponsors I remember are Magners, Carling, Tennents, Strongbow, Crabbies, McEwans.

Mainly because these vices are looking for men aged 18+ and football has that demographic. But it isn't like that is the only place you see gambling ads. TV shows that are geared towards women are surrounded with ads for Bingo or Slots gambling.

Dragon soup seem to be prominent in side of pitch advertising particularly SPFL TV games,  I am also not a drinker of it.

Is alcohol sponsorship really as big as it’s maybe being made out to be here? There was a time where alcohol sponsorship was more common IMO. Both the Old Firm had alcoholic sponsorship for ages. Hibs and Hearts have had them. Even Saints had the Famous Grouse in the 90s (a far superior sponsor to BINN group aesthetically, that’s for sure). Nowadays I can’t think of any SPFL club that has an alcoholic sponsor. What there does seem to be a lot of is gambling company sponsors, which I’d argue is worse than alcohol. I’m not a fan of this culture we have of demonising alcohol in football. I get that it’s not for everyone but for the majority of us it’s absolutely fine when enjoyed responsibly and it should be taught as such. I’m not convinced ending alcoholic sponsorship would make a difference, just like the stadium alcohol ban hasn’t made a difference to people being pissed up at games.