Arbroath Vs Morton

2 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Disagree, wouldn't be chancing any of our major players getting injured in that nonsense of a cup.

I get that in terms of injuries but I feel like a cup run in a tournament where we have (theoretically atleast) a better chance of going far in could be good for confidence.

Having said that I’m fully expecting DC to completely change the team next week and for Dunfermline to be doing more or less the same thing.

Was only watching the stream but did the wind have an effect on the game? Schwakes kicks in the second half were barely reaching any distance at all so was wondering if it's a simple case of both teams being better with the wind helping them. 

2 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Was only watching the stream but did the wind have an effect on the game? Schwakes kicks in the second half were barely reaching any distance at all so was wondering if it's a simple case of both teams being better with the wind helping them. 

There was virtually no "wind" it had next to no effect on the game at all.

20 minutes ago, port-ton said:

Hardly a breath of wind, his kicking was awful

2 hours ago, keptie said:

After Morton being on top in the 1st half a very good performance from Arbroath in the 2nd against a team high in confidence which earned a point and could've been three. Great goal from Gold. Morton looked decent.

Why has Fosu not been starting?? as soon as he came on we looked a lot better up top.

As much as I've defended Fosu on here, he's not a striker.  He was useful today because he put himself about and having him up front gave McKenna and Linn some breathing room, but I still would have liked an actual forward there.

The midfield was an absolute muddle in the first half, and again, I blame the manager.  I felt that Tait, McKenna, and Allen in particular were all trying to play the same role in the same position, and just getting in each others way.

Tait in particular, yeah, he's got good energy and he buzzes about, but I do wonder what he actually brings to our squad that other players don't, apart from looking like a walking yellow card.  I was excited to see him join is, but so far, not so good.

Oh, and Corfe?  Why?

31 minutes ago, port-ton said:

There was a headwind and when the ball was punted very high up in both halves then it would catch in it much more. But Schwake's kicking is the problem, not a relatively benign Scottish winter. 

We had the same issue in the first half last week although our defensive issues weren't linked to that. In the second half today, Schwake's kicks were putting the pressure back on a defence that was already bizarrely rattled. I've got zero technical expertise but it's clear that he's not getting enough power to deal with the conditions - it'd be worth losing ten or fifteen yards in distance to make sure the ball gets beyond our defence in the first place. 

7 hours ago, virginton said:

First half was good overall from us but missing the final ball to make our pressure count as much as it should have done. That's not to say it was one way traffic at all (it really wasn't), but Quitongo in particular was wasteful in the final third. A five minute period of corner, throw, corner bombardment should have produced more than we got from it too. 

Baird laid an egg for the equaliser straight after half time. How after three separate jostles with the forward can a centre back end up letting him inside and goal-side was wild - nothing other than a goal could be expected from that. 

Perhaps Arbroath would have been on top anyway but that didn't help. The 'wind' we were playing into in the second half was a gentle summer breeze by Gayfield (or Cappielow!) standards, but the defence seemed rattled and lacking any confidence to read even routine punts. Baird and Ambrose were treating high balls like a live hand grenade.

Imrie's switch of the forwards did not work at all and probably made it worse. With McGrattan and King with Muirhead playing through the middle, I think we'd have held the ball much better and have been under less pressure than we were. That second half was the worst that we've played since Firhill - since then, it's now nine unbeaten and 21 points. 

A draw is an entirely creditable result for us at Gayfield. If we keep winning most of our home games and draw away games like this, we'll be in the correct play-offs. 

A fair comment but does not explain what happend in the second half.

Yes the wind was a factor, Baird was poor ( has been great so far all season) and we stopped believing in ourselves.

Constantly just booting the ball upfield and mainly to Arbroath players resulting in it coming back at us.

While I was far from the disallowed off side goal must have been clear as ref had hand up before it hit the net.

Allan is lost in this Arbroath team playing football is not an option under Dick C.

Not going to be Arbroth's best Championship season but they have resorted to what they do best, so I fear Hamilton are dead and they will easily survive the playoffs.

5 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

I think you where protected by the stands.

Fecking in my face all day. Couldn't get the ball by half way.

Don't remember Gaston having any problems 1st half with his kick outs,

Can't really believe the zephyr we had yesterday is even getting mentioned.

8 hours ago, Paisley Ton said:

I think you where protected by the stands.

Fecking in my face all day. Couldn't get the ball by half way.

3 hours ago, keptie said:

Exactly this

3 hours ago, keptie said:

You must have been away getting your bovril.

Found touch a few times and we recirculated it back to him.

In fairness the wind was probably just as you would say a north sea breeze.

Gas. has also perfected his NSB kicking technique.

Anyway as always review of the highlights will clarify what I thought I saw from what happened. 

1 minute ago, Paisley Ton said:

Anyway as always review of the highlights will clarify what I thought I saw from what happened. 

To be fair the wind rarely blows that direction, normally the wind blows in the other way

23 minutes ago, Paisley Ton said:

Perhaps we're just immune to the NSB now.

Not gonna fall out over a bit of wind 😀

First of all I thought that first half was really poor a few moments aside 

The midfield was all over the joint, not sure where Allan was supposed to be playing but he was constantly asking the bench himself. Morton were snapping into tackles in there and he just wasn’t up to it, where he was trying to play just didn’t work. He definitely needs to improve the other side of his game in games like yesterday. Ironically enough I thought he started getting proper stuck in just before half time but taking him off the right decision 

Dylan Tait also, initially I was so impressed with him. He was a busy busy midfield player who kept it tidy and got forward into dangerous areas but I dunno if we’ve killed him asking him to play the position he plays in the team or what but yesterday he was just miles off it. His touch and decision making just so poor. Gave the ball away in bad areas. He does work his baws off so I hope he can find form again 

Bitsindou too I mean we really need someone like him so if this injury problem exists I think we should maybe look elsewhere in January for that player because after he went off the midfield struggled with that battle in there 

What did really help in the second half was the midfield battle was not happening as much because we put two uptop and two out wide and played old school direct football and it was actually really enjoyable to watch for spells. The game was like a basketball match at times 

Fosu done really well and I would actually like to see him kept on the basis that if he plays we use him like we did yesterday. Not as a wide man or central midfielder but as a nuisance that can play uptop in a 2

Also I really do not understand why we are so adverse to having a shot. We had a reasonable breeze at our back and it was a wet sloppy surface. Hoti, Corfe, Jacobs and Allan yesterday unbelievable chances to get a shot away and they chose different options. Fucking have a go, loook at that Australia goal last night. We need to test the opposition keeper more 

A word for Tam who I believe was struggling with an illness all week but he had a great game and last but not least Marcel Oakley. He was absolutely immense, the amount of times he stopped potentially very dangerous situations with good positioning and his pace superb. Also the tackles he was putting in, solid, what a player 

If we can keep in touching distance of Cove going into January I am sure we can catch them.

Morton were decent but I really don’t think there’s too much between any team in the division on their day. Hamilton maybe the exception cause they seem like they can maybe be a bit of a soft touch with all their young laddies.

ETA - Goldie great goal 

Edited by 1320Lichtie