Ayr vs Aidan Connolly dba Raith Rovers strike force, 3/12/22

1 minute ago, TONTROOPER said:

Like I said ... according to Sportsound.

That was how Sportsound described it. They certainly didn't say Ayr were bad, even if they said they were under the cosh for most of the first half and patches of the second. They've been far harsher.

31 minutes ago, TONTROOPER said:

According to Sportsound ... you were horseshit.

Our November form was pretty poor.  Couldn't string two good halves together. By those low standards, today was an improvement. And despite our poor November form, we still managed 2 wins and 2 draws from the 4 games.

1 minute ago, North Terrace Gazza said:

Top of the league bud. Just you cherish your plucky draw against the mighty Arbroath 

What maybe does not make for comfortable reading was Rory Loy's commentary ....Raith were dominating but no cutting-edge (usual stuff).

Poplatnik benefits from the cup final. He hit a wee bit of form near the end of the season,  but by and large didn't offer enough. He wasn't the solution. The truth is we'll have cut our budget from last season and that's why we're limping along as we are. Goal scoring forwards aren't easy to find in a ready made state at this level. 

I remember folk touting Poplatnik on here and to be honest I don’t think he’s better than any of the three strikers we have (unless you count Ashford as a striker which I’m not). He’d probably do the McKenzie role but I’m not sure he’d be the answer to Raiths issues.

Raith had some nice play but that really won’t make a dent in this league. We are statistically the worst team in the league for possession stats but are statistically the best team at getting into the final third and also have scored the most goals.

We played awful hoof-ball for large parts last season and when teams are labelled “direct” I think that’s what people assume they are. McCalls teams between 2017-2019 were incredibly direct and so is this one. If you have quality players in forward areas then getting the ball to them as quickly as possible is your best bet. Having the likes of Easton, Vaughan and Connolly dance around the 18 yard box before trying a wee reverse pass will work the odd time but it did nothing today and that was a real makeshift defence for us.

3 minutes ago, D'Jaffo said:

I remember folk touting Poplatnik on here and to be honest I don’t think he’s better than any of the three strikers we have (unless you count Ashford as a striker which I’m not). He’d probably do the McKenzie role but I’m not sure he’d be the answer to Raiths issues.

Raith had some nice play but that really won’t make a dent in this league. We are statistically the worst team in the league for possession stats but are statistically the best team at getting into the final third and also have scored the most goals.

We played awful hoof-ball for large parts last season and when teams are labelled “direct” I think that’s what people assume they are. McCalls teams between 2017-2019 were incredibly direct and so is this one. If you have quality players in forward areas then getting the ball to them as quickly as possible is your best bet. Having the likes of Easton, Vaughan and Connolly dance around the 18 yard box before trying a wee reverse pass will work the odd time but it did nothing today and that was a real makeshift defence for us.

Poplatnik would have scored a number of chances Connell has fluffed…the question is would those chances have existed with Pops for Connell? Connell is a useful pest who couldn’t score in a whorehouse with an unlimited budget, but he takes covering players away from Connolly and the others. Ops could also head a ball, unlike our current attack force.

2 hours ago, Nelson said:

Raith we’re powder puff up front, but still delighted with the way the defence played.  Looked like a bit of a mess on paper, but McAllister in particular played out his skin.  Be interesting to see if Ecrepont can build on that performance - seems like he’s been talked about as a good young prospect for about 3 years, so nuts to think that was his league debut.  

We have been like that all season , absolutely nothing upfront I certainly wasn’t surprised by the result today  

Christ,its only the beginning of December and we,re 7 points off a play off spot,disaster.

Not sure what some supporters expectations were at the start of the season when Murray came in but mines wasn,t winning the league thats for sure.A  play off spot,yes and  in this crazy league its not beyond the realms of possibility of us getting at least 4th spot

Edited by Rovers_Lad