Pars vs. Doonhamers

If he would stop giving away the ball cheaply, then aye he could be up there as a possible player of the season, but he isn’t even in the top 5 for me: I would have Mochrie, Breen, Bene, Edwards, and Todd ahead of him. This is why he isn’t any better than League 1, because the possession he gifts very rarely goes unpunished by the dross opposition. 

If KRH is available, I reckon we’ll go with a front 3 of him, Wighton, and Mochrie. I’d be excited with seeing that and how it pans out. Hopefully we don’t shit the bed first half like we did against Clyde given the manager of the month award for McPake. 

Edited by DAFC.

1 hour ago, DAFC. said:

If he would stop giving away the ball cheaply, then aye he could be up there as a possible player of the season, but he isn’t even in the top 5 for me: I would have Mochrie, Breen, Bene, Edwards, and Todd ahead of him. This is why he isn’t any better than League 1, because the possession he gifts very rarely goes unpunished by the dross opposition. 

This. But also Mehmet. Hasn't put a foot wrong all season and made some big saves e.g. higgy at the end of the home Kelty tie. Fair play to him.

Whit

I should have added when attempting to go forward. He’s fine at keeping the ball moving between CM and back to defence (the John Hughes way) but the amount of times he passes the ball straight to the other team when looking for another midfielder / striker is mad.
I don’t think he’s terrible but to have him in the discussion for POTY is a real stretch.

24 minutes ago, Moneyshot said:

I should have added when attempting to go forward. He’s fine at keeping the ball moving between CM and back to defence (the John Hughes way) but the amount of times he passes the ball straight to the other team when looking for another midfielder / striker is mad.
I don’t think he’s terrible but to have him in the discussion for POTY is a real stretch.

The reason he’s in contention tho is cos mcpake has shifted his mindset from hughes ball,  this version of chalmers moves the ball quicker, makes many more forward passes and has brought a degree of grit and determination to his game that looked impossible for him under hughes. 

A ridiculous amount of our play goes through him.  I wouldn’t have him POTY but only cos bene is being a fucking boss.   I don’t know how to rank the rest but only because we have so many putting in solid performances week in week out, but rarely do we get a 10/10.

Mehmet is another that’s grown a lot, but we’re so good in defence I’m not sure we’d be much worse off if we replaced him with a deckchair.   (Tho many a keeper would claim their best games are when the don’t make a save)

While we are capable of playing some good football for spells in games our inability to manage games and do the “ugly” stuff well will continue to haunt us game after game until we get some replacements in. Defence is so slack and soft it’s unbelievable. Paul McKay epitomises the problem for me - looks like he wants to be a silky ball playing CB but just doesn’t defend properly. Plays colleagues into trouble, doesn’t tackle like a rugged CB, ball watches and loses positional discipline when we go behind. It is now not just a case of losing close games by the odd goal - we go for full scale capitulation with team losing its shape, individuals playing for themselves.WG’s continual absence leaves us painfully short of the type of character we need out there in the thick of the action when things go wrong not to mention his ability and game awareness. 

Morton away was so typical of us - played well for long spells (as we did at Alloa) but it is pointless to continually pedal the old excuse that it was never a 1-4 or 1-5 game. Which successful team ever continually plays the “unlucky card”? They make changes and attempt to sort the recurring theme.

Pars away will be a big test and it will be interesting to see if there is any “toughening up” on our part. We can’t just wait for the Peterhead and Edinburgh fixtures to come round as there is simply not enough of them and in any event expect Peterhead to be a different proposition after the appointment of David Robertson.

The difference in Chalmers has been huge. He was bang average I thought start of the season and actually I thought didn't play so well. 

He's suddenly really changed and came looking for the ball deep much more than before. Has he given it away? Aye, no more than anyone else though. Unfair to single him out for that. 

While we are capable of playing some good football for spells in games our inability to manage games and do the “ugly” stuff well will continue to haunt us game after game until we get some replacements in. Defence is so slack and soft it’s unbelievable. Paul McKay epitomises the problem for me - looks like he wants to be a silky ball playing CB but just doesn’t defend properly. Plays colleagues into trouble, doesn’t tackle like a rugged CB, ball watches and loses positional discipline when we go behind. It is now not just a case of losing close games by the odd goal - we go for full scale capitulation with team losing its shape, individuals playing for themselves.WG’s continual absence leaves us painfully short of the type of character we need out there in the thick of the action when things go wrong not to mention his ability and game awareness. 
Morton away was so typical of us - played well for long spells (as we did at Alloa) but it is pointless to continually pedal the old excuse that it was never a 1-4 or 1-5 game. Which successful team ever continually plays the “unlucky card”? They make changes and attempt to sort the recurring theme.

Pars away will be a big test and it will be interesting to see if there is any “toughening up” on our part. We can’t just wait for the Peterhead and Edinburgh fixtures to come round as there is simply not enough of them and in any event expect Peterhead to be a different proposition after the appointment of David Robertson.
Be interesting to see how he does with Peterhead. If he does relatively well I can see him rocking up at Palmerston in future. He was very keen on the job last time.

2 hours ago, 19QOS19 said:
7 hours ago, Rjc-1988 said:
... and in any event expect Peterhead to be a different proposition after the appointment of David Robertson.

Be interesting to see how he does with Peterhead. If he does relatively well I can see him rocking up at Palmerston in future. He was very keen on the job last time.

Yep, will watch this with interest.  Could be just what we need - with Robertson no doubt having gone to the same school of "man management excellence" as our ex boss Mr Kenneth Brannigan esq.! 🤔