🦅 The Caley (2015 Winners) vs Stirling Albion 🛡️

Stephen Malkmus

FFS, if we cant win this we should pack our bags to join the seaside leagues like our opposition.

I consider that even with our patched up team of haddies, the difference between full-time and part-time should show and there will enough in the tank to get past this tie - otherwise I consider the wage thief's we have in our side should give there weekly back to reimburse the very few fans who will drag themselves along for the shitshow

10 hours ago, bdu98196 said:

FFS, if we cant win this we should pack our bags to join the seaside leagues like our opposition.

I consider that even with our patched up team of haddies, the difference between full-time and part-time should show and there will enough in the tank to get past this tie - otherwise I consider the wage thief's we have in our side should give there weekly back to reimburse the very few fans who will drag themselves along for the shitshow

We haven't a great record against Stirling.

Found this and chucked it under the phone to pass it on to here, for olde memories from back in the days before the merger, Inverness was just a town and back when the A9 took a full month to drive up and down. Heaven help you if you got stuck behind a caravan.

Looked like a decent Stirling team managed by Alex Smith with experienced Tommy Walker and Jim Shirra and some future top flight players such as Brian Grant, Gordon Arthur and John Pilliben. Included Willie Irvine who ended up having a 20 year career in senior football by the time he moved on from Stirling was averaging almost a goal every two games, can't remember if he ever played in the top flight but scored a few for the likes of Berwick, Alloa and Meadowbank.

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.bb87b4681179e77c45e83f393348f8cb.JPGDSC_0103.thumb.JPG.be194896493b15c78cc153913e0d956f.JPG

Finished 0-0 and went to a replay at Annfield with the eventual winners (Caley) at home to Rangers in the next round.

1 hour ago, approximately dave said:

Found this and chucked it under the phone to pass it on to here, for olde memories from back in the days before the merger, Inverness was just a town and back when the A9 took a full month to drive up and down. Heaven help you if you got stuck behind a caravan.

Looked like a decent Stirling team managed by Alex Smith with experienced Tommy Walker and Jim Shirra and some future top flight players such as Brian Grant, Gordon Arthur and John Pilliben. Included Willie Irvine who ended up having a 20 year career in senior football by the time he moved on from Stirling was averaging almost a goal every two games, can't remember if he ever played in the top flight but scored a few for the likes of Berwick, Alloa and Meadowbank.

DSC_0102.thumb.JPG.bb87b4681179e77c45e83f393348f8cb.JPGDSC_0103.thumb.JPG.be194896493b15c78cc153913e0d956f.JPG

Finished 0-0 and went to a replay at Annfield with the eventual winners (Caley) at home to Rangers in the next round.

I went to this game, and the Rangers one as a young loon. Remember clearly Jim Shirra striding around midfield in the gathering gloom, blonde mop flowing in the Highland breeze. It was a dreadful game, truth be told.

The Rangers game has come up for discussion many times before, but most notable were Peter McCloy launching the ball into the Caley penalty box with his kicks from hand, Blobby Williamson scoring a couple, and Davie Cooper getting ignored on the wing as Jock Wallace hoofball left him unemployed.

Was at a hospitality day at Stirling Albion a few weeks ago and one of the club guests was ex striker Davie Lloyd.

He told us in the pub afterwards, obviously after a few refreshments of the 1990 4th Round tie between the Albion and the pre merger Inverness who, if memory serves me correctly were officially just called Caledonian FC, but they were generally referred to as Caley or Inverness Caley?

They had beaten, I think Airdrie or Kilmarnock in the previous round and were heavily fancied to beat Stirling Albion in a tie played at Brockville in Falkirk as the plastic pitch at Annfield couldn't be used in Cup ties, one of the Inverness players, or coaching staff had said in a newspaper interview they were confident of being the first Highland League club to make the quarter finals as they had 'already fried bigger fish than Stirling Albion in the cup so far'

Naturally this went down well with the Albion team, I was at the game, played midweek as the original Saturday fixture had been postponed and Caley were made to look rather foolish as Stirling Albion were 3-0 up after ten minutes, eventually winning 6-2 amidst a snow blizzard and the match just about finished despite the treacherous conditions, the bold Lloydie hobbled off injured with a couple of minutes left having bagged a couple of goals and, typical of the guy who was not shy at coming forward, roared at the Inverness bench...

"You'll be needing plenty fucking salt and vinegar on the big fish you fried earlier, nae fucking chips to go with it tonight though ya b*****ds, get it fucking up you"

Which led to some general rowdy behaviour in the tunnel post match he told us 😂😂

Edited by Flybhoy

On 24/11/2022 at 17:37, Ranaldo Bairn said:

I went to this game, and the Rangers one as a young loon. Remember clearly Jim Shirra striding around midfield in the gathering gloom, blonde mop flowing in the Highland breeze. It was a dreadful game, truth be told.

The Rangers game has come up for discussion many times before, but most notable were Peter McCloy launching the ball into the Caley penalty box with his kicks from hand, Blobby Williamson scoring a couple, and Davie Cooper getting ignored on the wing as Jock Wallace hoofball left him unemployed.

Brought back memories of a house party in Girvan with Peter McCloy on the guitar singing 'Gloria', a great night.

Apologies for off topic.

Defensive lapses from us again. Stirling gave a good show, but do think we never put the defence under enough pressure at set pieces after they conceded the 2nd, it was clearly a weakness to exploit.

We look better with Carson in central midfield.

Overall its job done. Nothing spectacular but got over the line in a game we could easily have lost.

I look forward to the excitement of Monday’s draw, seeing all the great away days against lower league teams disappear one by one… along with any money spinning ties v the top 4 premier teams… to then get Motherwell or Livingston away (again). 

1 hour ago, bdu98196 said:

Defensive lapses from us again. Stirling gave a good show, but do think we never put the defence under enough pressure at set pieces after they conceded the 2nd, it was clearly a weakness to exploit.

We look better with Carson in central midfield.

Overall its job done. Nothing spectacular but got over the line in a game we could easily have lost.

There was a distinct deficit in creativity, composure and dominance in midfield and whereas I generally agree with your summation, I do hope Welsh was rested rather than incapacitated.

As for Mckay and Mackay, the former played within himself and ultimately limped off. For the latter it was a fantastic and earlier than I expected, welcome back.