Hearts vs Kilmarnock 17th December: The Advent Calendar

It seems like the 3-4-3 will be making a return. I don't really get why.

Last year the three had nice balance with Souttar and Kingsley strong on the ball and Halkett good at defending the penalty area. The usual disadvantage in midfield occasionally hurt us, but the energy of Devlin and Baningime was able to make up for that against most teams.

Now I don't think it makes much sense at all. Souttar is gone and we haven't replaced him with a right-sided CB. Shifting Halkett from the centre to the right weakens two positions at once and Sibbick has always looked lost at RCB.  In midfield, Baningime is injured so some of that energy and ball-winning ability is gone.

I think 4-3-3 is probably the way to go. Firstly, because Halkett and Rowles seem pretty close to the ideal centre-back partnership at our level. One is left-footed, one is right-footed, and one heads everything away while the other is more of a reader of the game. The 3-man midfield should also free up Snodgrass a bit more.

I guess the advantages might be that we start seeing the best of McKay again and Kingsley can return to his best position at LCB but I'm not sure the pros outweigh the cons.

Anyway, this would be my team today:

Gordon

Smith Halkett Kingsley Cochrane

Devlin Snodgrass Halliday

Ginnelly Shankland McKay

I suspect we'll see Devlin on the bench and Sibbick slotted into the back three somewhere instead. Maybe Kio instead of Halliday.

Happy Hearts vs Killie day everybody and instead of an angel at the top of the tree we have an Angolan. Ladies and gentlemen,  the one and only Jose Quitongo.  Now running a football academy in Uddingston

E59B4793-EB0C-474F-B56C-86245C34D28B.jpeg

Edited by topcat(The most tip top)

1 hour ago, Elixir said:

Kingsley and Halkett back and it's a routine victory for the Gorgie. We are going to stroll to third again now.

So team with 3rd largest budget strolls to 3rd again. 
Almost like congratulating Celtic for finishing 1st with largest budget.

Well done 🤔😉

33 minutes ago, woolf said:

Decent game,should’ve been out of sight by HT.Players coming back from injury willl be a game changer,Beni back training next week 👊

Where did you see that about Beni? I thought he still had a while to go before even running. 

11 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Well done 🤔😉

Pretty much, assuming we are paying more than Aberdeen again, which should be expected given we're in a bustling capital city - one of Europe's finest - and not some far-flung grey hellhole.

28 minutes ago, welldaft said:

Well done 🤔😉

Think you’ll find that this season we’re on the 5th highest wages 

2 hours ago, Elixir said:

Pretty much, assuming we are paying more than Aberdeen again, which should be expected given we're in a bustling capital city - one of Europe's finest - and not some far-flung grey hellhole.

I live in Barnton mate, but crack on 😂

Thought we were excellent in the first 45 and should've went in more than 2 ahead but a combination of bad finishing and not making good enough choices in the final 3rd stopped that.

Killie were awful though, but fair play to them they came out and made it more difficult in the 2nd half. We disappeared for about a 15 minute spell and let them back in with an awfully defended goal, but I was pleasantly surprised with how we responded. Rather than just try and see it out at 2-1 we went on the offensive again and had a few half chances before the penalty. 

All in, a good performance with a few players still to come back.

6 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

Thought we were excellent in the first 45 and should've went in more than 2 ahead but a combination of bad finishing and not making good enough choices in the final 3rd stopped that.

Killie were awful though, but fair play to them they came out and made it more difficult in the 2nd half. We disappeared for about a 15 minute spell and let them back in with an awfully defended goal, but I was pleasantly surprised with how we responded. Rather than just try and see it out at 2-1 we went on the offensive again and had a few half chances before the penalty. 

All in, a good performance with a few players still to come back.

This part for me as well. Had the fear when we lost the goal, but this team is proving repeatedly that it is made of stern stuff. I should probably start giving them the benefit of the doubt.

Back-to-back away games now. I'm quite excited to see how they go. Much more excited about them than I would have been a few weeks back.