Club v Country matches held in Scotland

HibeeJibee

Over the years the Scotland national team have played various trial or warmup games against Scottish clubs.

However with the World Cup starting I was recalling that France based themselves at the Peebles Hotel Hydro back in 1966 and played warm-up games versus Gala Fairydean Rovers (won 8-1), Vale of Leithen (won 8-0) and Selkirk (won 11-2).

South Africa toured in 1953 beating North of Scotland FA XI at Inverness Caledonian on Oct 17th and Dundee at Dens on Oct 21st, both 3-1. They returned in 1958 and drew 3-3 with Hearts at Tynecastle on Oct 30th.

Canada toured in 1960 but crashed 9-1 to Dundee at Dens on Sep 28th.

New Zealand toured in 1979 but themselves crashed 8-1 to Dundee at Dens on Oct 29th. No idea why Dundee were so popular.

China also toured that year but fell 6-1 to Celtic at Parkhead on Aug 8th. They returned in 1982 and lost 3-1 to Rangers at Ibrox on Aug 11th.

I have a match programme from East Fife v Trinidad & Tobago dated Monday 8th April 1996. No idea if played and scoreline.

Spartans were due to play Trinidad & Tobago on Saturday 29th May 2004 - before facing Scotland at Easter Road - but was called off.

I also recall an east African side - maybe Rwanda? - was due to play Edinburgh Uni at Peffermill in mid-2010s but it too got cancelled. (They were training here on a development scheme connected to 2014 Commonwealth Games but some players hit visa issues IIRC).

Are there any other examples of full national teams playing club sides here?

Edited by HibeeJibee

Off the top of my head, Dundee United played an Australian national side twice at Tannadice in the early 90s, in pre season games. Think they also played Canada over 100 years ago.

Edit to add: these are just games in Scotland you are asking about, aren't they? United played a Scotland side too 20 years ago at Forthbank.

Edited by Dundee Hibernian

Couple more from autumn 1984 that I wasn't aware of, both involving Rangers: they beat New Zealand by convincing 5-0 scoreline at Ibrox on Oct 31st in game counting as Billy McKay's testimonial; and then beat Australia by 2-1 there on Nov 20th.

2 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

Off the top of my head, Dundee United played an Australian national side twice at Tannadice in the early 90s, in pre season games. Think they also played Canada over 100 years ago.

Looks like Sunday 19th August 1990... 1-1 draw at Tannadice... albeit was their Olympic team.

Details here: Dundee United 1 - 1 Australian Olympic XI  | Sunday, August 19th, 1990 | Match Details (Arab Archive)

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Canada toured in 1960 but crashed 9-1 to Dundee at Dens on Sep 28th.

New Zealand toured in 1979 but themselves crashed 8-1 to Dundee at Dens on Oct 29th. No idea why Dundee were so popular.

I was at the NZ game, ex Dundee United goalie Sandy Davie was in goal for NZ and might have been captain for the game.

If Dundee met Canada in 1960 it must have been the reserves or behind closed doors as have never come across any reference to it.

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

I also recall an east African side - maybe Rwanda? - was due to play Edinburgh Uni at Peffermill in mid-2010s but it too got cancelled. (They were training here on a development scheme connected to 2014 Commonwealth Games but some players hit visa issues IIRC).

Yep it was Rwanda... due Saturday 8th August 2015:

Rwanda's national team are currently holding a training camp in Prestonpans ahead of their African Nations Cup qualifier against Ghana in a few weeks time. As part of the preparation, they're playing a friendly against the odd club in the Lowland League this weekend, Edinburgh University, at 3pm on Saturday at East Peffermill Stadium.

Faroe Islands used to visit Shetland - and Orkney? - but unsure since joined FIFA & UEFA.

They didn't attend 2005 Island Games in Orkney.

3 hours ago, Eednud said:

If Dundee met Canada in 1960 it must have been the reserves or behind closed doors as have never come across any reference to it.

image.png.a22a07812e1711d68dc4691d14242a01.png

13 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Over the years the Scotland national team have played various trial or warmup games against Scottish clubs.

I have a match programme from East Fife v Trinidad & Tobago dated Monday 8th April 1996. No idea if played and scoreline.

Are there any other examples of full national teams playing club sides here?

@Cosmic Joe

5 hours ago, Eednud said:

That’s my learning something new every day for today..

Canada were returning from touring USSR, where they'd managed 1 draw & 3 losses. They played West Bromwich Albion on the following Tue 4th Oct and I've a copy of the programme - on p3 it says:

The team came back to Britain to play Dundee, and here they ran into trouble. Their plane from the other side of the Iron Curtain was unavoidably detained, and they arrived in Britain with barely enough time to get to Dundee to take on this Scottish side, with not surprisingly a heavy defeat facing them.

Since that match they have watched a European Cup match in Scotland [this would be Hearts 1-2 Benfica on Thu 29th Sep], travelled back to London, watched Albion play Arsenal [1-0 to Arsenal at Highbury on Sat 1st Oct].

Properly prepared they won 1-0 at the Hawthorns which caused a sensation in the Midlands.

2 hours ago, John MacLean said:

I saw Celtic play New Zealand at Parkhead in the early 90s. Afternoon kick-off as I recall and only the Main Stand open. 

Looks like Tuesday 4th February 1992... 1-0 win for the Kiwis at Parkhead. Kickoff was 2pm.

Edited by HibeeJibee

7 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Canada were returning from touring USSR, where they'd managed 1 draw & 3 losses. They played West Bromwich Albion on the following Tue 4th Oct and I've a copy of the programme - on p3 it says:

The team came back to Britain to play Dundee, and here they ran into trouble. Their plane from the other side of the Iron Curtain was unavoidably detained, and they arrived in Britain with barely enough time to get to Dundee to take on this Scottish side, with not surprisingly a heavy defeat facing them.

Since that match they have watched a European Cup match in Scotland [this would be Hearts 1-2 Benfica on Thu 29th Sep], travelled back to London, watched Albion play Arsenal [1-0 to Arsenal at Highbury on Sat 1st Oct].

Properly prepared they won 1-0 at the Hawthorns which caused a sensation in the Midlands.

Looks like Tuesday 4th February 1992... 1-0 win for the Kiwis at Parkhead. Kickoff was 2pm.

Interesting. This game wasn’t listed in the extensive list of other games in Norrie Price’s excellent “They Wore The Dark Blue”.  Found a Wikipedia age that gives the Canadian tour results but wrong result v WBA.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canada_men's_national_soccer_team_results_(unofficial_matches)

http://www.albiontillwedie.co.uk/seasonarchive/results/1960-61.html

FRIENDLIES

DATE OPPONENT H/A F-A SCORERS      GATE
 Tue 04 Oct Canadian FA XI H 0-1 *       8,724
Edited by Eednud

• 4 weeks later...