Clyde vs Dumbarton

microdave

Outcome  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I thought we were absolutely magnificent in the first-half last night and, genuinely, if we'd gone in at half-time 5-0 up it wouldn't have been unrepresentative of the dominance we'd shown. As well as the two goals, Wylde had one off the line, Wilson missed a good chance and Wallace missed a glorious free header with the net empty.

We looked like a side who were loving playing on a big, wide, slick astro. Clyde looked like a team who were hating playing on a big, wide, slick astro.

Both Kalvin Orsi and Gregg Wylde were superb. Kalvin rinsed the Clyde left-back a ridiculous number of times, and Wylde's deliveries were quality all game. They had so much space to cause havoc, and looked miles ahead of the full-backs they were facing physically - strength, pace, effort. The lot. Both wingers have played well in recent weeks, but last night was as good as I've seen either player play for us.

All over the park we just looked a lot better than Clyde. We had a really good balance about us in midfield - Div Wilson was making some great runs, Ryan Blair was controlling the tempo of the game and Joe McKee was just spraying Joe McKee passes about. Faz not tinkering with shape and lineups looks to be working wonders, a settled side can make such a difference.

Up top Ryan Wallace was probably my Man of the Match. He led the line in a way we haven't seen a Sons striker do for quite a while. He dropped deep and linked the play, he looked a threat, he used his John McGinn arse like John McGinn. He knew when to start an attack and when to slow things down. It was exactly the sort of performance he's put in countless times against us over the years. His goal - whilst lucky on the finish - was a great move. He started it. He charged into the area. He finished it. He's looking fitter and sharper by the week, and last night was the first time he's looked like he's actually enjoyed himself on a football pitch in a Sons shirt.

A wee word for Ross MacLean too, who took his goal exceptionally well. He frustrates the life out of me, because he is capable of things like that - but so many games seem to pass him by. Hopefully the competition we have for places can push him on a wee bit.

Goal aside, I thought we defended well. Clyde's threat was limited, but Buchanan and Carsy dealt well with Jordan Allan - who gave Bucky a torrid time last year. The big man took quite a dunt on his head and was due to go to A&E after the game, so fingers crossed he's alright and back soon as he's been a rock for us.

As for Clyde? Well they were absolutely terrible. You could see signs of a team in transition. But at this stage they looked like a side with a Danny Lennon defence and a Jim Duffy attack. And that's the opposite way you'd want it.

Under Duffy we very rarely outfootballed teams, but we'd never be outfought. And I saw glimpses of that in Clyde. In the first-half we ran the show and played some great stuff. After they scored they turned it into more of a scrap and had a tiny bit more joy that way. Ironically in the way we used to play against Danny Lennon's Clyde.

Duffy should get the defence sorted out, but I was amazed they were such a rabble at the back. The full-backs were miles out of their depth, whilst Steven Thicot and Peter Grant looked so clumsy it was unreal. Two good players with decent careers, but both looked all over the place. Big Neil Parry in goals never seems to play well against us either, and he wasn't helping matters. Especially at cross balls. They looked like conceding every single time we attacked.

They had nothing at all in midfield, and very little up top until big Erik Sula came on and just started fouling people. We've played every side in League Two at least once this season, and I'd fancy them all to beat Clyde if they faced them in the playoffs based on last night's showing. Although I also expect Duffy to at least have them semi-organised at the back come May if the Bully Wee end up ninth. It must be a weird time as a Clyde fan, because it already looks to be a straight two way fight between yourselves and Peterhead for 9th and 10th. Two positions neither team will celebrate finishing in.

The number of times we were able to get at the Clyde fullbacks and get a cross into the box was unbelievable. I thought Kalvin Orsi had another very good game. I like Wylde on the left and I actually wouldn't be against him playing as an attacking full back in place of McNiff. McNiff is generally ok defensively, but he'll make at least 1 mistake per game and he isnt positive going forward. I think Wylde and McLean could be the left side version of Lynas and Orsi. 

Took the foot off the gas a bit in the 2nd and tried to sit on the 2 goals. We had chances very early in the 2nd to kill the game off, but we never managed to and that gave Clyde the chance to try and get back into it. Clyde started attacking and they deserved their goal. Made for a nervy end to the game until we got our 3rd. Not sure that saturday night football should be a thing in Scotland. We took a decent enough travelling support. Attendance given as 563. It wasn't the best of nights and perhaps if the game had been Saturday 3pm then it wouldn't have been a lot higher. Maybe a case of Clyde fans unhappy with their league position staying away from an inconvenient, non season ticket game and Dumbarton fans feeling a bit more confident with our league position making the trip through for what was a very winnable cup game.

49 minutes ago, Jan Vojáček said:

We looked like a side who were loving playing on a big, wide, slick astro. Clyde looked like a team who were hating playing on a big, wide, slick astro.

Both Kalvin Orsi and Gregg Wylde were superb. Kalvin rinsed the Clyde left-back a ridiculous number of times, and Wylde's deliveries were quality all game. They had so much space to cause havoc

10 minutes ago, BallochSonsFan said:

The number of times we were able to get at the Clyde fullbacks and get a cross into the box was unbelievable

Which makes the decision to narrow our pitch for the purpose of long throws (which we rarely score from) seem even more bizarre. Have we scored any goals at home from one of those long throws? 

I quite enjoyed the kick off time. Once the game started, it could've been any time of day if you ignore the darkness. Plus, I managed to get a shitload of stuff done yesterday that I'd be doing now (instead of posting here and watching the world cup) if it had kicked off at 3pm. Having said that, I'm not sure if I'd fancy coming back from somewhere like Stranraer or Elgin at that time of night.

1 hour ago, microdave said:

Highlights.

No chance they’ve not included the disallowed goal, the absolute fuds.

Edited to add: that wee fan of ours jumping about infront of the Clyde fan at the end is extremely lucky he didn’t get a slap! 

Edited by Bring Back Paddy Flannery

2 hours ago, microdave said:

I know a picture doesn't tell the whole story but maybe Buchanan's goal was disallowed for McNiff pushing. 11cbf121901a4901345117477f9d410a.jpg

Fair point about a picture...Jesus, not 1 of the Clyde Players is off the ground., and from the snap, Parry looks like he sneaked off for a pie and is facing the same direction as the Sons players. 

Thought we were excellent in the first half last night. Could have and should have been 3 or 4 up at the break.

Took the foot off the gas and managed the game second half, as we’ve become accustomed to under Farrell, not a complaint. Rode the storm well at the end and I though Faz got his subs spot on and they brought that extra bit of energy at the right time.

Kalvin Orsi was a stand out again. If he had a final ball he’d be getting a goal and an assist at least every game. I suppose that’s why he’s found himself at League Two Dumbarton though. He’s a man playing with a lot of confidence at the moment - which is really nice to see, he looked really short on confidence all last season.

No chance they’ve not included the disallowed goal, the absolute fuds.
Edited to add: that wee fan of ours jumping about infront of the Clyde fan at the end is extremely lucky he didn’t get a slap! 

Looks well old enough to know better as well. Not a good look and probably deserved a slap to be honest.

19 minutes ago, super-son said:

Looks well old enough to know better as well. Not a good look and probably deserved a slap to be honest.

Having walked past the same chap a few moments before the third goal, I think it’s safe to say he had enjoyed his day/evening before the game! We’ve all been caught in the emotion of a goal before but aye, he’s maybe a bit lucky a bit of restraint was shown (something quite unusual for us Clyde fans!).

13 hours ago, THE CHOSEN SON said:

Kalvin Orsi was a stand out again. If he had a final ball he’d be getting a goal and an assist at least every game. I suppose that’s why he’s found himself at League Two Dumbarton though. He’s a man playing with a lot of confidence at the moment - which is really nice to see, he looked really short on confidence all last season.

Normally I think Orsi lacks that final ball but on Saturday he was whipping some lovely crosses into the box, especially in the first half.