Clyde vs Dumbarton

microdave

Outcome  

33 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

An abomination of a Clyde performance.

Who'd have guessed punting high balls up to Allan and McDonald would be an unsuccessful tactic?

Midfield and defence were all over the place.

Worst performance of the season.

For what it's worth, Dumbarton looked a decent side.

Deserved win for the Sons, decent backing from the Sons and daughters of the Rock for a Saturday night. Fair play to Duffy for getting Clyde going in the second half, but probably because Dumbarton played to defend as usual, but what a first half from us.

Hope Buchanan is ok.

Mon the Sons 

I thought we thoroughly deserved that (and probably more) but we don't half make it difficult at times. I was convinced we were going to concede near the end and go to extra time. MacLean's goal was a huge relief, a bit like when Gray scored late on at Stenny earlier in the season. I can't wait to see us lift the Scottish cup at Hampden in May!

Scottish lower league football is always going to be physical game and the minute you start signing a bunch of wee guys you're asking for trouble. You need full-backs that can defend a cross field ball. The problem with Scullion, McDonald and Cameron, and Lyon/Rodden if we're including absentees, is that they don't compensate for their lack of presence with any sort of ability, or pace. The only exceptions are Allan, who has scored a few goals but has considerable limitations and Gomis who has obviously had a career at a much higher level even if he's slowed a bit now. Dumbarton had an advantage all over the pitch in terms of height and physicality. Not intending to downplay the fact that they played better football as well but they're allowed to do that by winning the battle so easily.  

No surprise that we looked marginally better with three bigger lads coming on. Sula actually linked up play surprisingly well. The XI who started were to a man horrendous. I can't believe how awful Parry can be when he's in that sort of mood.

The main positive is that we don't get embarrassed off Drumchapel or a Uni team in the next round. Or worse still, shipping 5 or 6 to the likes of Thistle.

One final note; I hope Buchanan is okay. It's embarrassing that he was allowed to stagger his way about the pitch before being treated.    

Edited by David W

10 minutes ago, microdave said:

I thought we thoroughly deserved that (and probably more) but we don't half make it difficult at times. I was convinced we were going to concede near the end and go to extra time. MacLean's goal was a huge relief, a bit like when Gray scored late on at Stenny earlier in the season. I can't wait to see us lift the Scottish cup at Hampden in May!

Told you all you could win that one. Sadly I was also right about how big an ask the Binos winning at Inverness was.

Congratulations to @Boghead ranter @sonsanorak @Sons FC @sons superhero @Silverton End @The Moonster @Autistisches Nilpferd @Boagheidbob @Finlay21 @FifeSons and @Ranaldo Bairn who correctly predicted the outcome in the poll. I'm going to start creditting people who get the outcome right from now on.

Not sure where this idea that we're a big physical team comes from (the commentator kept mentioning it too) - Buchanan and McNiff are the only 2 I'd consider as big guys and Lynas and Carswell can handle themselves but Blair, McKee and Wilson aren't big physical guys, they are ball players. Nor is Wylde, Orsi or the tiny Ryan Wallace considered physical. We outplayed Clyde in that first half, we didn't out-battle them. 

1 minute ago, microdave said:

Congratulations to @Boghead ranter @sonsanorak @Sons FC @sons superhero @Silverton End @The Moonster @Autistisches Nilpferd @Boagheidbob @Finlay21 @FifeSons and @Ranaldo Bairn who correctly predicted the outcome in the poll. I'm going to start creditting people who get the outcome right from now on.

I only voted after the game for a laugh, but thanks. 

8 hours ago, The Moonster said:

Not sure where this idea that we're a big physical team comes from (the commentator kept mentioning it too) - Buchanan and McNiff are the only 2 I'd consider as big guys and Lynas and Carswell can handle themselves but Blair, McKee and Wilson aren't big physical guys, they are ball players. Nor is Wylde, Orsi or the tiny Ryan Wallace considered physical. We outplayed Clyde in that first half, we didn't out-battle them. 

You don't have to be big to be physical and, based on last night, Ryan Wallace absolutely is a physical player. It's not a criticism: he was strong and used his body well to shield the ball & win free kicks, especially in the first half.

Edited by Jaggy Snake

27 minutes ago, Jaggy Snake said:

You don't have to be big to be physical and, based on last night, Ryan Wallace absolutely is a physical player. It's not a criticism: he was strong and used his body well to shield the ball & win free kicks, especially in the first half.

I mean he uses his arse well to hold guys off but Wallaces strengths are his technical ability and his brain, which he used to far greater affect last night than his physicality. I suppose it's not a criticism but I do think it does our performance a bit of a disservice. We played some terrific football last night and that's what I take away from it over any sort of "battle" won. 

10 hours ago, The Moonster said:

I only voted after the game for a laugh, but thanks. 

10 hours ago, microdave said:

Shame on you. I'll be checking just prior to kick off from now on to prevent this underhand behaviouremoji23.png

Same!

I will now go away and think about my behaviour. 😢

12 hours ago, haufdaft said:

An abomination of a Clyde performance.

Who'd have guessed punting high balls up to Allan and McDonald would be an unsuccessful tactic?

Midfield and defence were all over the place.

Worst performance of the season.

For what it's worth, Dumbarton looked a decent side.

Don’t hold your breath on Duffy working out it’s an unsuccessful tactic. You’ll be waiting a while……………

I thought we were excellent last night, there was a spell towards the end of the game where it got a bit nervy after what looked like a flukey goal for Clyde, but overall we dominated from start to finish and it could’ve and should’ve been more. I thought the decision to chop our early goal off was a bizarre one and if it was given for a foul against the keeper then I’m even more confused by it. I was watching on a pixellot stream so I’ll await a better view/replay before I get too critical. 

From our point of view there wasn’t a failure in the team but two players really stood out for me - Kalvin Orsi and Davie Wilson, I thought both of them were superb. I was extremely critical of Wilson’s early performances so fair play to him, he’s starting to look like a really handy member of the squad. A special mention for Ryan Wallace who is starting to hit some form for us, I really hope he keeps his place in the team. Hopefully Buchanan’s injury isn’t too bad and he’s fit to play against the hammer throwers this weekend.

Clyde were seriously poor, that’s probably the most dominant we’ve been all season and we compete in a league full of gangs. I was genuinely shocked by how dreadful Neil Parry was, he looks like a shadow of the guy who was at Alloa, a proper flapping mess who doesn’t appear to comminucate with his defenders at all. 

A winnable tie in the next round please (I quite fancy Linlithgow away) and if not then one of the two turds away which I absolutely would not be attending but could allow us to bring another striker in.

40 minutes ago, Bring Back Paddy Flannery said:

I thought we were excellent last night, there was a spell towards the end of the game where it got a bit nervy after what looked like a flukey goal for Clyde, but overall we dominated from start to finish and it could’ve and should’ve been more. I thought the decision to chop our early goal off was a bizarre one and if it was given for a foul against the keeper then I’m even more confused by it. I was watching on a pixellot stream so I’ll await a better view/replay before I get too critical. 

From our point of view there wasn’t a failure in the team but two players really stood out for me - Kalvin Orsi and Davie Wilson, I thought both of them were superb. I was extremely critical of Wilson’s early performances so fair play to him, he’s starting to look like a really handy member of the squad. A special mention for Ryan Wallace who is starting to hit some form for us, I really hope he keeps his place in the team. Hopefully Buchanan’s injury isn’t too bad and he’s fit to play against the hammer throwers this weekend.

Clyde were seriously poor, that’s probably the most dominant we’ve been all season and we compete in a league full of gangs. I was genuinely shocked by how dreadful Neil Parry was, he looks like a shadow of the guy who was at Alloa, a proper flapping mess who doesn’t appear to comminucate with his defenders at all. 

A winnable tie in the next round please (I quite fancy Linlithgow away) and if not then one of the two turds away which I absolutely would not be attending but could allow us to bring another striker in.

The Paddy Flannery derby!