Morton v Queens

Greenacres

1 minute ago, GiGi said:

Just as well Alex King skinned your whole team (twice) to score a worldie then. Hope that one counts.

Never heard a penalty for clattering somebody in the box (as opposed to clattering Quitongo and Strapp everywhere else on the park) being classed as a 'set piece' before either. 

3 minutes ago, virginton said:

Never heard a penalty for clattering somebody in the box (as opposed to clattering Quitongo and Strapp everywhere else on the park) being classed as a 'set piece' before either. 

Indeed.

A QOS fan bemoaning us losing goals from "set pieces" is class too given such concessions are pretty much routine fare. 

Edited by Distant Doonhamer

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Not to mention the penalty we didn't get for the keeper Schumachering the good Quitongo.

There's no way 4-1 was a fair reflection of the balance of play, but we certainly deserved to win on the strength of the second half performance. A couple of tremendous goals in there, particularly from King.

I reckon that's the last time we see Kabia starting ahead of McGrattan, the difference was obvious in both attack and defence almost immediately after that sub. We're a much better team with McGrattan on the park.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

There's no way 4-1 was a fair reflection of the balance of play, but we certainly deserved to win on the strength of the second half performance. A couple of tremendous goals in there, particularly from King.

I reckon that's the last time we see Kabia starting ahead of McGrattan, the difference was obvious in both attack and defence almost immediately after that sub. We're a much better team with McGrattan on the park.

Kabia came off and Dougie didn't give him a  glance as he walked past. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was told he had 5 mins to improve or he was off.

2 hours ago, virginton said:

Deserved win in the end. There was too much of a gap between our centre backs and midfield in the first half - Queens tactics exploited that well, and so it was far too open a game from our point of view. 1-1 was a fair reflection. 

Gillespie sat deeper in the second half to remove that gap and gave us a fair amount of control. Playing into the swirling wind helped with that too (and hindered us in the first half of course). I don't remember Schwake having anything serious to do until after the second goal. Muirhead's free-kick made up for the header that he had to bury at the far post earlier- he was excellent today. A superb individual goal from King to put some gloss on it at the end too. 

Wouldnt disagree much with that. We started well and for me we shaded the first half. Morton's opener was against the run of play and came when we were breaking forward and Wilson absolutely shanked a pass straight to Muirhead. Did the shot get a deflection? It seemed to take an unnatural big loop over Currie. Deserved the equaliser. 1-1 wasnt unreasonable at half time but thought we had the better of it. 

2nd half was a different story. Morton were the better side and I think we forced maybe one save from Schwake second half.

From where I was the free kick decision for the 2nd goal was laughably bad. East was in control of the situation and appeared to be fouled from behind by Muirhead. Both end up on the floor and somehow the guy from behind who landed on top of East gets the free kick. Genuine question for Morton fans who would have a better view, did I miss something? How on earth did Muirhead get the decision? 

Once it was given it was a fantastic unstoppable strike to be fair and although we had a bit of possession we were disappointingly unable to seriously trouble the Morton back line. 

In contrast to every other Queens fan I spoke to I had no issues with the penalty decision. Its soft and the Morton player absolutely chose to chuck himself down but its a foul. Cochrane definitely caught him and didnt get near the ball. It was a silly challenge. Thats game over then. The 4th was meaninngless and I doubt happens if disheartened defenders defend properly. Or even if we dont put two pointless subs on just before it. 

4-1 margin significantly flatters Morton over 90 mins but better side won. Fair play, good luck in the next round. Always looked a horrible draw for us.

Edited by Skyline Drifter

2 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

Same conclusion from the game against Partick a couple of weeks ago. We were doing well with Mcgrattan on & the performance dropped as soon as he was replaced by Kabia.

54 minutes ago, Mr.Blue said:

Kabia came off and Dougie didn't give him a  glance as he walked past. I wouldn't be at all surprised if he was told he had 5 mins to improve or he was off.

Right before half time Kabia tried some daft flick pass which led to a QOS counter attack. Dougie immediately sent McGrattan out to warm up and had a few words with Kabia. I’d be surprised if he starts any time soon. 

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Wouldnt disagree much with that. We started well and for me we shaded the first half. Morton's opener was against the run of play and came when we were breaking forward and Wilson absolutely shanked a pass straight to Muirhead. Did the shot get a deflection? 

The first goal was deflected but it was entirely merited based on the previous chances - including a superb goal line clearance from Muirhead's header - that our pressure had forced previously. It wasn't against the run of play at all - the equaliser was also merited by the time it arrived. 

43 minutes ago, Scosha said:

Right before half time Kabia tried some daft flick pass which led to a QOS counter attack. Dougie immediately sent McGrattan out to warm up and had a few words with Kabia. I’d be surprised if he starts any time soon. 

I don't think our performance changed today because of Kabia (he was okay). Quitongo was just as wasteful with the space that he had on the opposite side, although was drawing fouls.  The difference was Gillespie moving back. But if it brings McGrattan back into the team to make us more balanced again next week, then that's the most important thing. Perhaps Imrie was looking for an excuse to justify that after all. 

🙃 that will do for me.

As for the next round cannon fodder at home or OF away as they now seems to pull in 40,000 plus post Covid 19 for these type of cup matches and that would bring the required funding to bring in two more players for our league assault.

5 hours ago, GiGi said:

@Skyline Drifterthe free kick for the goal was blatant shirt tug from bad Quitongo, who was extremely lucky not to have been carded 10 minutes earlier for the same offence. 

Well it certainly looked from the other side that any initial fouling was BY Muirhead, not on him. I'm not sure how it's possible to tug a shirt from in front of someone. But then I thought East was involved, not Quitongo so if I couldn't get the right player what do I know! Hopefully highlights will show the incident and not just the deadball strike.

Have to say whilst I thought Jai did very well for Morton today, I also though he got nothing out of his brother all day and it was notable in both halves he very quickly switched to play on the opposite side of the park from Rico.

5 hours ago, virginton said:

The first goal was deflected but it was entirely merited based on the previous chances - including a superb goal line clearance from Muirhead's header - that our pressure had forced previously. It wasn't against the run of play at all - the equaliser was also merited by the time it arrived. 

I'd forgotten about the excellent clearance off the line to be fair but I still think we'd had much more of the ball and territorial advantage up to the 1st goal. You'd had that near thing just before right enough but we had carried the greater threat up to that point.

Deflection confirms the looping trajectory of the strike that gave Currie no chance though.