Morton v Queens

Greenacres

14 hours ago, Greenacres said:

Very difficult tie Morton in great form  will be favourites we just don't have the physical players needed to beat them.

The ball will be in the air a lot we just don't have enough height and strength  to deal with it.

Morton are one the smallest sides in the Championship and the Queen of the South XI yesterday was considerably taller than ours. No one in our starting midfield yesterday is taller than Calvin McGrory, never mind Iain Wilson.

We'll put long balls down the line to be chased but our physicality comes in the form of energetic pressing to badger defences, not dominating head tennis with our team of 5'9 midfielders, wingers and full backs. Quitongo's strength can make things uncomfortable for defenders on the rare occasion referees allow an even contest, but he's not going to dominate any defence in the air.

There'll be a debate about who drops out for Gillespie to come back in here. I'd go for Kabia with McGrattan going back out wide but could see it being McGrattan with Kabia keeping his place after the goal.

1 hour ago, Dunning1874 said:

Morton are one the smallest sides in the Championship and the Queen of the South XI yesterday was considerably taller than ours. No one in our starting midfield yesterday is taller than Calvin McGrory, never mind Iain Wilson.

We'll put long balls down the line to be chased but our physicality comes in the form of energetic pressing to badger defences, not dominating head tennis with our team of 5'9 midfielders, wingers and full backs. Quitongo's strength can make things uncomfortable for defenders on the rare occasion referees allow an even contest, but he's not going to dominate any defence in the air.

There'll be a debate about who drops out for Gillespie to come back in here. I'd go for Kabia with McGrattan going back out wide but could see it being McGrattan with Kabia keeping his place after the goal.

Every time the ball goes out your long throw will come into the box then you win 1st or 2nd balls it is not really all  about size it is the aggression you have to win the ball  

It will be a battle something that you are really good at we just don't have the players who enjoy a 50-50 challege think some will disappear as the tackles fly in 

I hope he doesn't but I wonder if Dougie gives a few fringe players like O'connor, Carlo, King etc game time here.

Play our strongest team and let's hope for a cup run. Would hate to lose this by resting some players. 

Expecting a difficult game. We know the qualities of guys like Wilson and Reilly and I'm surprised they aren't doing better this season. Looks like you have issues defensively, that fair?

Got to fancy us but won't be easy.

2-1.

Just now, AyrshireTon said:

Kabia and Schwake are on loan from Livi - how long are their loans for?  

I believe they're both season long loans with the option to recall in January. I can't see either being recalled, Martindale apparently dropped Kabia due to his attitude and he's behind guys like Nouble, Bahamboula, Shinnie, Montano in his position. Martindale has also said he wants Schwake to play 80-100 games before bothering the first team at Livi. He's currently behind Shamal George and Ivan Konovalov....would probably have him ahead of Jack Hamilton though

16 minutes ago, Cptn Hooch said:

I believe they're both season long loans with the option to recall in January. I can't see either being recalled, Martindale apparently dropped Kabia due to his attitude and he's behind guys like Nouble, Bahamboula, Shinnie, Montano in his position. Martindale has also said he wants Schwake to play 80-100 games before bothering the first team at Livi. He's currently behind Shamal George and Ivan Konovalov....would probably have him ahead of Jack Hamilton though

Cheers - I was just wondering if either were up in January and if we could have been asked not to play them.

On 20/11/2022 at 09:38, Dunning1874 said:

Greenacres has a weird fixation with the physical size of players.

Don't worry about it.

On 20/11/2022 at 11:38, madton said:

I hope he doesn't but I wonder if Dougie gives a few fringe players like O'connor, Carlo, King etc game time here.

Play our strongest team and let's hope for a cup run. Would hate to lose this by resting some players. 

Expecting a difficult game. We know the qualities of guys like Wilson and Reilly and I'm surprised they aren't doing better this season. Looks like you have issues defensively, that fair?

Got to fancy us but won't be easy.

2-1.

Obviously I've not seen Morton as much this season but they seem to at least play with a bit of positive consistency. Queens on the other hand can fluctuate wildly between very good to absolute dross. If we can get a performance out of them like last week V Montrose or recent games V FC Embra then it could be a decent contest which could go either way, but play like we have against the likes of Falkirk, or the capitulation against Alloa, then it could be a case of how many Morton want to score. Hoping for an away win here but I'm ready with the "Ah well we can concentrate fully on League business now" cliché 

Not sure yet if I'll make the game, any chance it's being streamed?

On 22/11/2022 at 11:49, Fae_the_'briggs said:

Obviously I've not seen Morton as much this season but they seem to at least play with a bit of positive consistency. Queens on the other hand can fluctuate wildly between very good to absolute dross. If we can get a performance out of them like last week V Montrose or recent games V FC Embra then it could be a decent contest which could go either way, but play like we have against the likes of Falkirk, or the capitulation against Alloa, then it could be a case of how many Morton want to score. Hoping for an away win here but I'm ready with the "Ah well we can concentrate fully on League business now" cliché 

Not sure yet if I'll make the game, any chance it's being streamed?

Won't be streamed in the UK, it's still covered by the blackout rule. 

This is a classic banana skin tie for us. Given our outstanding form in the league there's every expectation from outside as well as within the fanbase that we should win this home game comfortably. But if we're 10% off our very hard working level of performance, Queen of the South have more than capable players to turn us over. Reilly for example could easily be doing a similar turn for us at the moment as Muirhead has been doing. To get this instead of Wick away is vile. 

I wouldn't be rotating the team at all given it's another Saturday game with no midweeks approaching: there's the Challenge Cup in two weeks to do that anyway. We need to keep up this positive momentum and landing either a winnable cup tie or a potential scalp* in the next round is worth that effort. 

* any c**t in Scottish football 

On 22/11/2022 at 08:02, AyrshireTon said:

Cheers - I was just wondering if either were up in January and if we could have been asked not to play them.

Still a chance Livi could request that in case they need to exercise their January recall option.

Not sure I would be confident with Green in goal. Actually, is he even back from injury yet - don't Scottish Cup rules stipulate you MUST have a keeper on the bench...

8 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

Still a chance Livi could request that in case they need to exercise their January recall option.

Not sure I would be confident with Green in goal. Actually, is he even back from injury yet - don't Scottish Cup rules stipulate you MUST have a keeper on the bench...

I'm surprised David Scott the goalkeeping coach hasn't  been registered as a player while Green is injured. 

22 hours ago, Jamie_M said:

I don't see any chance of it at all, Kabia is nowhere near the first team and Martindale doesn't really like him. Schwake needs game time, no chance we compromise his development just to get him to sit on our bench. We've got Shamal 1st choice, Konovalov 2nd, Hamilton 3rd, Maley emergency 4th and then Schwake being recalled as a 5th option

13 hours ago, ATLIS said:

I don't see any chance of it at all, Kabia is nowhere near the first team and Martindale doesn't really like him. Schwake needs game time, no chance we compromise his development just to get him to sit on our bench. We've got Shamal 1st choice, Konovalov 2nd, Hamilton 3rd, Maley emergency 4th and then Schwake being recalled as a 5th option

Am i right in thinking both contracts are up at the end of the season? I doubt Kabia will be offered a new deal but Martindale seems to talk highly of Schwake. Will Brian want to go back to being a backup at a club after playing so much 1st team football?

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/contract-extension-for-brian-schwake/

https://livingstonfc.co.uk/welcome-jaze-kabai/