FC Edinburgh v Alloa

First time at the new Meadowbank for Alloa tomorrow. Can recall a few visits there back in the Meadowbank Thistle days, most memorably a hat-trick from the late Mungo McCallum in a 3-1 win in the First Division early in 89/90 season. Also mind a midweek visit a few years later when I think Lee Bailey scored 3 against us. Clearly a different viewing experience awaits the travelling support tomorrow. 

Think the home game against Edinburgh was one of the low points of our season, although also probably the case that we underestimated them a bit. Our recent form has been much better and although the stars probably aligned a bit for us last week, 5-1 against QoS is an excellent result whatever the circumstances and should hopefully have been a real confidence boost. 

I've been banging on about overly frequent changes, a topic which appeared in the match programme last week with a well made counter argument! But I still believe Brian Rice has made changes too often and to the detriment of the team. Changing formation can be very effective but frequently switching shape and personnel without allowing things to gel initially at least doesn't work. I actually noticed a quote from Mikel Arteta the other day about teams working better when players instinctively know where their team mates are going to be. I do think there's hope though that our recent results are in part at least down to the side being a bit more settled of late and several players in the spine of the team getting a run of games in roughly the same position, and crucially almost all of those in their best positions. Hopefully that will continue. Something like last week but with Howie in at CB and Taggart at RB would do nicely tomorrow. So we'll probably see a raft of changes and a new shape 😁. Anyway, mon the Wasps. 

Edited by Waspie

Was looking forward to a wee trip to Edinburgh but unfortunately won't manage to get along to game today.

I do remember going to the Meadowbank stadium in Jan/Feb of 1983. Can't remember the result that day but what I do recall is that it was the coldest I've ever been at a match. It was absolutely baltic and the crowd numbered a grand total of 49.

Anyway good luck to the wasps this afternoon. 

That was an absolute fucking embarrassment. We were cruising at 3-0 and then threw it away.  Rice needs to take a good long look at himself. It may be that we had players out ill today but the way we capitulated today was a disgrace, never seen an Alloa team being 3-0 up and losing 4-3.We are now suffering from Rice's inability to sign a quality left back and that has affected the balance of the squad.

11 minutes ago, Magic Hat said:

That was an absolute fucking embarrassment. We were cruising at 3-0 and then threw it away.  Rice needs to take a good long look at himself. It may be that we had players out ill today but the way we capitulated today was a disgrace, never seen an Alloa team being 3-0 up and losing 4-3.We are now suffering from Rice's inability to sign a quality left back and that has affected the balance of the squad.

Exactly this,also when we have a fully fit squad,we still play key players out of position.A lot of our results have been close run games,when we have been playing average or poorly,and still picking up points regardless,it's just papering over the cracks.Left back situation has been the major downfall.Not convinced by Rice in the slightest,just my opinion.

Crazy old game. We started very well, helped by Edinburgh's inability to defend corners. That said, Cammy O'Donnell's deliveries were excellent. 3 up and cruising and with chances to go further ahead. We switched off badly to lose a very slack goal and 2 goal deficit probably flattered Edinburgh at the break. 

Second half was grim. Edinburgh came out fired up and we weren't at the races and it was soon 3-2. Immediately we get a pen and chance to make it comfortable again but Scougall misses, then Cammy gets a straight red for a lunging tackle after a poor touch. We looked resigned to our fate after that and it was zero surprise when Edinburgh equalised then scored again. 

Great showing by Edinburgh to comeback from a seemingly hopeless situation, but from Alloa that was self inflicted and a total capitulation. When the going got tough we again didn't have a reliable shape to fall into and there was a lack of leadership. When we were crying out for composure at that stage the decision to bring on an inexperienced youngster and play him out of position was classic Rice. But too easy just to blame the manager today, the players had that game in the bag and pissed it away, and also failed to show the fight required in the second half. Haven't said that about an Alloa team for a long time. Plenty of talent there and such is this league that they could still have a very good season if we can bring it all together, but plenty of questions to be answered. 

Meadowbank spectating experience was as grim as predicted, even in the back row of the stand. Not good enough for the SPFL. Unfortunate as the spirited and talented team on the park certainly is. 

Edited by Waspie

Scougalls penalty miss was the catalyst for the defeat with Cammy O' Donnel

making sure 

Good goals from Edinburgh but really poor from us second half

edinburgh would have been quite dissapointed with  our 3 goals of course .

Edited by Vegetableman

17 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Crazy old game. We started very well, helped by Edinburgh's inability to defend corners. That said, Cammy O'Donnell's deliveries were excellent. 3 up and cruising and with chances to go further ahead. We switched off badly to lose a very slack goal and 2 goal deficit probably flattered Edinburgh at the break. 

Second half was grim. Edinburgh came out fired up and we weren't at the races and it was soon 3-2. Immediately we get a pen and chance to make it comfortable again but Scougall misses, then Cammy gets a straight red for a lunging tackle after a poor touch. We looked resigned to our fate after that and it was zero surprise when Edinburgh equalised then scored again. 

Great showing by Edinburgh to comeback from a seemingly hopeless situation, but from Alloa that was self inflicted and a total capitulation. When the going got tough we again didn't have a reliable shape to fall into and there was a lack of leadership. When we were crying out for composure at that stage the decision to bring on an inexperienced youngster and play him out of position was classic Rice. But too easy just to blame the manager today, the players had that game in the bag and pissed it away, and also failed to show the fight required in the second half. Haven't said that about an Alloa team for a long time. Plenty of talent there and such is this league that they could still have a very good season if we can bring it all together, but plenty of questions to be answered. 

Meadowbank spectating experience was as grim as predicted, even in the back row of the stand. Not good enough for the SPFL. Unfortunate as the spirited and talented team on the park certainly is. 

Can second most of that review.

18 minutes ago, Waspie said:

Disappointed and surprised to hear this given we had several very experienced players on the pitch.

The sad thing is,Rice won't change,and he'll continue to play key players out of position,and ignore the obvious as long as he continues to be our manager.Fans constantly shout at him about players being out of position,he looks up and shrugs his shoulders,I've seen it.Rice is a bang average manager,not the worst,as we know all to well,but certainly not good enough.The players must be frustrated with his tactics,although they seem to be playing for him.We should be sitting second tonight,instead we're fifth,and in danger of sinking lower with tough games over the next few weeks.

2 hours ago, AlwaysAPar said:

What the hell happened here

Was just on to post that. Checked the results at half-time and was pleasantly surprised to see we were 3-1 up. Be a few folk screaming in their sleep tonight, I think.

I like Rice generally, but still remember the first post from a Hamilton fan after he was appointed, which was along the lines of "enjoy watching an entire defence composed of left backs"  :shutup

How come the squad was so thin? Think someone said on twitter Church, Stanger and Cawley were all out with illness. Not heard how long Devine is going to be out either.

Feel for Cammy, by sounds of it he put in good balls for the goals but he's not a left back. 

Not going to get a definitive answer before I put the highlights out but I can map the ground and do what VAR does for Shanley's first goal - it's just fiddly and time-consuming for me to do.

From my initial view Andy Graham plays the offside line perfectly. The question is if O'Donnell plays him onside. My first draft says he is but the lines are slightly off.

Just listened too Rice's interview,Cammy more or less getting the blame for the defeat,or that's how I thought it came across.Maybe if Rice played people in the right position,these kind of defeats would not happen.Cammy is not a left back Mr Rice,get that through your head.He said he's angry,try paying good,hard earned money to watch your teams arse collapse from a three nil lead.Thats real anger.Sort out how you play our squad,it's not rocket science to play players in the proper position,Jesus Christ almighty.

38 minutes ago, Alloa 68 said:

Just listened too Rice's interview,Cammy more or less getting the blame for the defeat,or that's how I thought it came across.Maybe if Rice played people in the right position,these kind of defeats would not happen.Cammy is not a left back Mr Rice,get that through your head.He said he's angry,try paying good,hard earned money to watch your teams arse collapse from a three nil lead.Thats real anger.Sort out how you play our squad,it's not rocket science to play players in the proper position,Jesus Christ almighty.

If you're a good football player you can pretty much play anywhere.

McLaren came on at left back to stop Craigen cutting in and swinging it in with his left. While things were going against us, Cammy made the decision to lunge in and kick out at the Edinburgh player, complete heads gone moment. Our other left back is injured and I'd probably rate Stanger as the Player of the Season so far has a niggle too so there's not much you can do about that.

As entertainment goes you get your money's worth.

Edited by LeodhasXD

On 18/11/2022 at 23:28, Waspie said:

First time at the new Meadowbank for Alloa tomorrow. Can recall a few visits there back in the Meadowbank Thistle days, most memorably a hat-trick from the late Mungo McCallum in a 3-1 win in the First Division early in 89/90 season. Also mind a midweek visit a few years later when I think Lee Bailey scored 3 against us. Clearly a different viewing experience awaits the travelling support tomorrow. 

I was at that McCallum hat-trick game :(

It was John McGachie's last game for Meadowbank too- he got a consolation goal via his bollocks, groining in a cross at the back post. I kid you not. 

In answer to @Newbigging pen the return fixture at the Recs on 30th December that season was one of the coldest I've been at a game- I even spent money buying a set of gloves from the Alloa shop that day it was that cold. (won 1-0, Brian McNaughton scored. get it up ye)