🦁Raith Rovers V Queen’s Park🕷

The energy our midfield has is incredible. Boateng and Thomson mop up everything, and with the (massive amount of) space afforded to them, McPake and Thomas, we only had to worry about taking the chances that would inevitably come our way. Even without his goals, Simon Murray is so important to how we play. His movement it top notch and his running is non stop. Love the guy. 

Some tremendous last ditch defending helped too 😁

I couldn’t really care less about how many or few support Queen’s Park, they beat us fair and square, and I’m sure their fans are having the time of the life at the moment having effectively won the football lottery of having a rich sugar daddy bankroll their club. Fair play.

6 hours ago, Craigus said:

As soon as we concede we absolutely lose any structure and heads go down, whether its the first goal in a game or we've been in front.

There are some shockers in the goals, the third probably the worst with Ross just giving up and Spencer following no-one. 

It is interesting to see QP doing so well with a handful of fans and a weird little tinpot newbuild stadium on the way. Probably unsustainable, but sure they are enjoying their days in the sun playing against the big boys. 

Fair comment. I'm particularly worried about the capacity of Lesser Hampden. The Club will clearly be doing everything they can to increase the number of home fans but I think that our ambition has outgrown Lesser.

This league is insane. We were good yesterday, but felt we were actually better in a game we won narrowly last week! Love the way Coyle has us playing. Thomson goes from strength to strength every week, Thomas is one of the best players in the league for me, and the shift Murray is putting in on a weekly basis is tremendous. 

So sharp and clinical in front of goal. If the Thomas one had gone in at the end, I’d have expired on the spot. A brilliant day out, for which I’m paying back with interest today.

Edited by an86

Left after the 4th goal went in. Actually don't think we played 'that' badly, I've certainly seen us play worse. Of the top of my head Stanton should have been screaming at Ross to leave it when Vaughan cuts it back in the 1st half (why Ross tried some weird backheel is beyond me), decent strike from (can't remember who) where QP keeper tips it over the bar, Dick perhaps should have done better with his chance before QP broke away and scored their 3rd, Gullan and Vaughan then all missed decent chances and it was clearly not going to be our day. Thought QP looked a decent team, quick precise passing with good control and clearly very clinical when chances came their way. Certainly looked better than the likes of Ayr, Morton and Dundee. Not quite sure why Murray insists on goading the opposition fans, he wasn't getting any treatment from us throughout the game or has any history with us however from watching most teams highlights this season it seems this isn't uncommon behaviour from him. Just a pity QP were romping it when he decided to sclaff a couple of chances and get it tight from our supporters. 

6 minutes ago, Raithie said:

Left after the 4th goal went in. Actually don't think we played 'that' badly, I've certainly seen us play worse. Of the top of my head Stanton should have been screaming at Ross to leave it when Vaughan cuts it back in the 1st half (why Ross tried some weird backheel is beyond me), decent strike from (can't remember who) where QP keeper tips it over the bar, Dick perhaps should have done better with his chance before QP broke away and scored their 3rd, Gullan and Vaughan then all missed decent chances and it was clearly not going to be our day. Thought QP looked a decent team, quick precise passing with good control and clearly very clinical when chances came their way. Certainly looked better than the likes of Ayr, Morton and Dundee. Not quite sure why Murray insists on goading the opposition fans, he wasn't getting any treatment from us throughout the game or has any history with us however from watching most teams highlights this season it seems this isn't uncommon behaviour from him. Just a pity QP were romping it when he decided to sclaff a couple of chances and get it tight from our supporters. 

Also Ethan Ross.

On 19/11/2022 at 20:16, Arachnophile said:

Bizarre game - who would see a 5-2 to QP frim these stats?

great to see us taking our chances though :)

image.png.a6b455cac4f550042766f1092d083735.png

The 53% possession stat is a bit misleading, as Rovers spent a fair while in the first half passing the ball sideways in and around their 18 yard box, which probably says a lot about QP's forward line, (especially Murray) that prevented them playing out. 

Edited by Spider1975
typo

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

The 53% possession stat is a bit misleading, as Rovers spent a fair while in the first half passing the ball sideways in and around their 18 yard box, which probably says a lot about QP's forward line, (especially Murray) that prevented them playing out. 

I also noticed at Raith’s bye-kicks we had four sitting very high ready to pounce on the defenders sitting around the box. Would be interested to here from any Raith fans whether or not Murray is coaching them to play it on the ground out of the box?

Edited by Bring Your Own Socks

2 hours ago, Raithie said:

Same

5 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Would be interested to here from any Raith fans whether or not Murray is coaching them to play it on the ground out of the box?

That's not a new thing for us, McGlynn had us playing that way the last couple of seasons as well and it's filtered into this season as well. 

The development in Simon Murray’s game this season has been mental when you think of it. Of course avoiding injuries has helped his cause but his link up play and overall game intelligence has improved immeasurably since Coyle’s arrival. He’s playing like the Simon Murray I had hoped we had signed back in 2020. 20 games in all competitions this season, 11 goals and 6 assists. 17 goal contributions in 20 games speaks volumes for how good he’s been this season. Obviously it’s clear that Akinyemi is the number 1 striker in the league but I wouldn’t have anyone else other than him ahead of murray in my team in this league. Realistically, Murray should be aiming to get 20 before the season ends 

Cheers. Definitely looked like something our coaches had spotted and worked on in training. 
In fairness its not something we've been doing as much this season but with Vaughan, Connolly, Ross and stanton to aim at, it made sense for us to not just lump the ball forward from goal kicks. You where set up to counter it tactically so it was maybe just something coyle picked up on before the game.