🦁Raith Rovers V Queen’s Park🕷

On 18/11/2022 at 16:57, Scary Bear said:

If we don’t score 3 goals and win, then it’ll be a disappointing day. A couple of pals who haven’t been for a while are coming, so I’m hoping they don’t jinx it. We’ve got a good thing going here.

My last four trips to Stark’s Park:

Rovers 3 v 2 Ayr United

Rovers 3 v 0 Cove Rangers

Rovers 3 v 0 Partick Thistle

Rovers 3 v 1 Hamilton Accies 

Tell them to stay at home next time...

Piss poor today. Such a soft centre at the heart of our midfield. Opposition players just allowed to run and run with zero pressure. That decent spell of results had me thinking we might do something but now back to ‘just avoid relegation’ mode after the last two Saturdays. At least results elsewhere keeps us clear of that. But have now got the absolute fear about an Auchinleck Talbot side next week that’s going to get in our faces. 

46 minutes ago, Brashy's Boots said:

What happened to the first guy called Ethan Ross we had?

Few pass marks for any though, except maybe Connolly for his goals. Not to be confused with Connell, who is simply abject pish.

Vaughan not fit enough yet - need him on the bench a wee while longer or a half at a time, but given IMs penchant for getting all the forwards on, apart from comedy John, he'll get the game time.

QP best side I've seen us play. 

Exactly a year ago he was putting Morton to the sword and looked like a world beater. Now he’s looking lost. Hopefully he can get back on form with us.

Vaughan looked like he was knackered and should have been subbed early second half.

Edited by Scary Bear

2 minutes ago, roverthemoon said:

Ross currently looking like Zanatta. Fading away to nothing. 

Zanatta at least had a few goals in his game last season. Ross is just a diddy this time around. Slow as a weekend in jail, poor control of a ball and fails most times he's trying to take someone on. You can see why he didn't get a club in England after his Aberdeen contract ended 

I listened to someone, forget who, in an interview at the beginning of the season saying Ross is one of the quickest players we've had for a while, yet every game he looks like he's just trundling along, struggling to catch up with the player who has inevitably just dispossessed him and fades out of games far too easily and frequently. 

Bizarre game of football, we were good for the first half an hour. Great free kick from Murray changes the game and we were poor after that till half time.

Start of the second half, Dick missed a good chance at the back post to level it and QP go straight up the park to make it 3-1. Queens Park were the best team I’ve seen at Stark’s this season, excellent on the counter attack and pretty clinical.

We had countless chances and I think 5-2 flattered QP but they were worthy winners. We were far too open in midfield, weak at the back and missed too many chances up front, all in all not a good mix. I think Ngwenya has done well since he came in but he was dreadful today. Final ball let him down every time he got into a good position and defensively he was all over the place and Thomas really brutally exposed that second half.

A lot to learn for us. Quite a few changes will be made but the biggest concern is how badly going a goal behind affects us. We’re a decent side when we’re on top and have things going our way but dropping behind has way more impact than it should. Think the players and manager need to share responsibility for that.

Stanton or Ross are not Easton, that’s become clear. I’m worried that Matthews days as an effective midfielder for us are threatened or done. We are not as strong as we believed in midfield, and recently our defending has been sub-par.

Dick was unlucky today, but I’d still start Nolan at CB next week, and keep Ngwenya at LB, sorry Liam.

If Easton will miss a couple of games, I’m not sure how we play this. Perhaps Gullan behind Vaughan; Stanton, Spencer and Connolly with Brown deep and the four across.

I wouldn't be happy singling out any individual player for today. I thought first half was quite cagey with 3 good goals for different reasons. Good strike from Connolly, good run to draw the foul for the well struck fk and decent play for Thomas to get his goal, albeit it was deflected. Once we lost the third early in the second half we where never getting back in to it. I think Murray got his tactics completely wrong today. We didn't have an out ball with Vaughan playing as a lone striker, so resorted to passing it across the back line looking for spaces which qp where quick to fill with a body or two. Once we went two up top we lost organisation in midfield and where cut open far too easy for the rest of the goals. Qp have got alot of quality in their side and a good manager so I'd expect them to be in the playoffs. I was really impressed with boateng today. Always there to break the play up or receive a pass. Essentially the role we have Spencer doing. We also weren't allowed to push our fullbacks on today which really limited our threat going forward as well.

1 hour ago, embow said:

A huge wake up call for those who think we have something about us. 

Absolute nonsense.

Poor today though.  Good for 30 mins, but totally folded after 1-1.  I like Murray and can see what he's trying to do, but his approach to games after we go behind really has to change.

I dread to think how much we actually paid for Ross, but it's proving to be an awful piece of business by Mcglynn.

41 minutes ago, R.R.FC said:

Bizarre game of football, we were good for the first half an hour. Great free kick from Murray changes the game and we were poor after that till half time.

Start of the second half, Dick missed a good chance at the back post to level it and QP go straight up the park to make it 3-1. Queens Park were the best team I’ve seen at Stark’s this season, excellent on the counter attack and pretty clinical.

We had countless chances and I think 5-2 flattered QP but they were worthy winners. We were far too open in midfield, weak at the back and missed too many chances up front, all in all not a good mix. I think Ngwenya has done well since he came in but he was dreadful today. Final ball let him down every time he got into a good position and defensively he was all over the place and Thomas really brutally exposed that second half.

A lot to learn for us. Quite a few changes will be made but the biggest concern is how badly going a goal behind affects us. We’re a decent side when we’re on top and have things going our way but dropping behind has way more impact than it should. Think the players and manager need to share responsibility for that.

Yeah agree with all of this. The players need to be tougher mentally and Murray needs to be way smarter tactically. He'll never get on his managerial career if he keeps up with this nonsense. That resembled a schoolboy match for most of the second half. Absolutely ridiculous stuff from a professional football team.

I was never a fan of this 4-3-2-1 system and it would seem the players we have ain't much good at it either, Mathews by the sound of it may require another op or a longer period of recovery either way he wont be back anytime soon mores the pity, 

I still cant get my head round conceding 5 goals at home, with 2 matches to go till the halfway point Ayr the Arbroath I hope we can achieve at least 4 points from it,.................. but

Football is about defending too and whilst Rovers had about ten decent chances in a couple of madcap minutes, we kept them out and if one of them had gone in, they wouldn't have had the other nine or so.

Anyway, everything worked for us today and Murray certainly earned his corn with two goals and two assists. Great performances throughout the team with the midfield outstanding on the counter.

First half I noticed Thomson was man marking Spencer. He just followed him about the pitch. On a few occasions he was our most forward player as he tracked Spencer right up to the Raith box. This is most unusual for someone that usually plays defensive mid. It seemed strange to see him so far ahead of Jarrett. Second half Thomson reverted to a more usual role (and played the pass of the game leading to the 5th goal) and Spencer was substituted. No mention of Spencer at all from the Raith fans here. What had Owen Coyle seen that prompted this? Did any other QP fans notice Thomson's disciplined dogged compliance?

I think Murray made the wrong call to start Vaughan and Ethan Ross. Vaughan looked well off the pace and clearly isn’t ready to start again. Ross was just awful but then so was most of the team. Also It’s seem that he really doesn’t rate Frederiksen as if there was ever a game to punt the ball long for the last 15 mins or so and hope to get a lucky break, this was it.

47 minutes ago, Tangled web said:

First half I noticed Thomson was man marking Spencer. He just followed him about the pitch. On a few occasions he was our most forward player as he tracked Spencer right up to the Raith box. This is most unusual for someone that usually plays defensive mid. It seemed strange to see him so far ahead of Jarrett. Second half Thomson reverted to a more usual role (and played the pass of the game leading to the 4th goal) and Spencer was substituted. No mention of Spencer at all from the Raith fans here. What had Owen Coyle seen that prompted this? Did any other QP fans notice Thomson's disciplined dogged compliance?

The only time I noticed Spencer was when he cost us the 3rd goal. 

Good bodies on the line defending by Queens, that was the difference. On another day deflections go different but today no. Queens more clinical and worthy winners but could have been different.

Murray is a massive p***k though!