Doonhamers vs. Gable Endies

I agree with your first paragraph but not the reasoning for playing three at the back.

I do agree that we are weak in central defence (all across the back line really). However, I don't think that throwing in another weak central defender is the correct approach and it certainly isn't making the most of the talent in our squad which, as illustrated by your post, lies in the midfield, with some attacking options.

In a broad over simplification, there are two main ways of making a team like ours harder to beat. Play more defenders to try and cover for their lack of ability or, alternatively, play more technically proficient players resulting in the team having much more possession and so reducing the burden on the defence.

I would play 4-3-3 with Todd and McGrory either side of Wilson. I'd have Lewis Gibson and Paton in more advanced roles either side of Reilly up front. LG would hold the width on the right wing getting crosses into the box, whereas Paton would more likely be cutting in from the left. I realise that it's not perfectly balanced but I think it would be a productive system.

Just my opinion, of course, but that's what a fans' chat is all about.

1 hour ago, Riviera711 said:

I agree with your first paragraph but not the reasoning for playing three at the back.

I do agree that we are weak in central defence (all across the back line really). However, I don't think that throwing in another weak central defender is the correct approach and it certainly isn't making the most of the talent in our squad which, as illustrated by your post, lies in the midfield, with some attacking options.

In a broad over simplification, there are two main ways of making a team like ours harder to beat. Play more defenders to try and cover for their lack of ability or, alternatively, play more technically proficient players resulting in the team having much more possession and so reducing the burden on the defence.

I would play 4-3-3 with Todd and McGrory either side of Wilson. I'd have Lewis Gibson and Paton in more advanced roles either side of Reilly up front. LG would hold the width on the right wing getting crosses into the box, whereas Paton would more likely be cutting in from the left. I realise that it's not perfectly balanced but I think it would be a productive system.

I think you are spot on about the back 3 - it is pointless shoehorning under-performing CBs into your line up just to try and limit the impending threat from the opposition. The two McKays, McKenna and Morrison (when he played)have generally been awful this season. East is the exception. We had 3 CBs at Alloa and lost 5 goals out of “nothing”. When you include players who arguably don't deserve to be picked you exclude much more valuable players further forward. If the Manager doesn’t trust any permutation of his 6 potential CBs (if you include McKenna and Hendrie) to form a CB partnership then it doesn’t say much about the quality of the signings he made?

I think there is much to agree with in your suggested team line up. Doesn’t make sense to burden Lewis with defensive responsibilities. The problem emerges of course, when Wilson and Todd aren’t fit for action.

A back 4 of WG, P McKay East Hendrix/Quitongo would be fine but Wullie continues to defy logic and handicap us week after week.

2 hours ago, Riviera711 said:

I think you should listen to Patons interview ;)

I mean everyone should listen to Patons interview anyway but he talks about playing through the middle with Gav

12 minutes ago, Homer Thompson said:

I think you should listen to Patons interview ;)

I mean everyone should listen to Patons interview anyway but he talks about playing through the middle with Gav

If he (they) consistently scores enough goals to make up for the number we concede, then fair enough.

1 hour ago, Rjc-1988 said:

I think you are spot on about the back 3 - it is pointless shoehorning under-performing CBs into your line up just to try and limit the impending threat from the opposition. The two McKays, McKenna and Morrison (when he played)have generally been awful this season. East is the exception. We had 3 CBs at Alloa and lost 5 goals out of “nothing”. When you include players who arguably don't deserve to be picked you exclude much more valuable players further forward. If the Manager doesn’t trust any permutation of his 6 potential CBs (if you include McKenna and Hendrie) to form a CB partnership then it doesn’t say much about the quality of the signings he made?

I think there is much to agree with in your suggested team line up. Doesn’t make sense to burden Lewis with defensive responsibilities. The problem emerges of course, when Wilson and Todd aren’t fit for action.

A back 4 of WG, P McKay East Hendrix/Quitongo would be fine but Wullie continues to defy logic and handicap us week after week.

As much as I'd like to see Wullie play more I think its about time to park the idea of him playing regularly, if at all. He's made it pretty clear in a few interviews that he'd rather concentrate on the Management side now (whether by personal choice or otherwise). If he's going to flit in and out of the team every couple of months or so then it's really a waste of time, and he hardly covered himself in glory in his last appearance, okay maybe not playing in his best position. It would maybe be a start to update his profile on the OS to just Manager instead of Player/Manager if he really is only wanting to concentrate on that side of things.

4 hours ago, Otis Blue said:

Not sure why, it's clearly visible ... All Along The Watchtower ... 😐

With the cost of living crisis and rising energy prices, a trip to electric lady land is going to set you back, that's for sure and judging by the album cover, they certainly need to wrap up warmer against the cold or they'll either catch their death or be facing very large fuel bills i.m.o.

27 minutes ago, Brummo said:

... a trip to electric lady land is going to set you back, that's for sure and judging by the album cover, they certainly need to wrap up warmer against the cold or they'll either catch their death or be facing very large fuel bills i.m.o.

Indeed ... I forgot (how could I forget) about that album cover ... tbf those young ladies were clearly unfamiliar with the delights of a freezing cold damp Scottish winter... although I'm sure they would have appreciated the government's energy voucher scheme as a useful contribution towards mitigation of said ambient conditions ...