Referee's

59 minutes ago, Crfc1990 said:

From the start of the season I've attended a games in the league n Cups they all have been good games spoilt by the standard of officials which I find shocking to be polite about them does anyone think the same or us it just me ...

Spoilt in what way?

This is the 6/7/8/9/10th tier of Scottish football, so the clubs basically get level of referee they deserve after the higher leagues have been allocated the better quality ones. There's not hundreds of quality refs waiting in the wings ready to take over if you wanted to replace the WOS-level refs, so not sure what can be done apart from increasing the pool of referees to choose from. Suggestions on how to do that?, 

I will say what I always do - we all see WAY more mistakes from our own players that cost us goals, points and games than we do from referees.  It has always been thus.  Look to your own team and individual players first and foremost 

About 1 game in 10 I leave thinking the ref has had a had a bad game, and even fewer where I think it has impacted the result of the match. Any error isn't ideal but it's at a tollerable level. Given the weekly VAR controversies I'm not sure that would change much if I was watching Premier League football. 

Also, a lot of fans are confused about certian aspects of rules like offside and handball (myself included) and end up berating officials for technically sound decisions. 

19 minutes ago, Shanner said:

About 1 game in 10 I leave thinking the ref has had a had a bad game, and even fewer where I think it has impacted the result of the match. Any error isn't ideal but it's at a tollerable level. Given the weekly VAR controversies I'm not sure that would change much if I was watching Premier League football. 

Also, a lot of fans are confused about certian aspects of rules like offside and handball (myself included) and end up berating officials for technically sound decisions. 

Especially when at most games they are on their todd. Mistakes are part of the game, it doesn't stop me shouting or laughing at the time, but there's no point in getting your knickers in a twist.

The rogue apostrophe in the title has annoyed me more 

12 hours ago, Shanner said:

I have to disagree with this,  I don’t think I have seen very few games this season where I have thought the ref did not have any impact on the outcome of a game.  It’s not the aspects of the game which you have mentioned handball and offside it’s  sending offs that are not sending offs and vice versa players getting booked when it’s a red card, it’s giving a throw in to the wrong team and then that team scoring from the throw in. The standard is getting worse as the SFA fast track refs up the levels and they are not ready,  I mean 4 years ago I was watching Kevin Clancy, Andrew Dallas and and Don Robertson refereeing junior games now they are doing rangers and Celtic games and they are not good enough.  

14 minutes ago, beithboy said:

I have to disagree with this,  I don’t think I have seen very few games this season where I have thought the ref did not have any impact on the outcome of a game.  It’s not the aspects of the game which you have mentioned handball and offside it’s  sending offs that are not sending offs and vice versa players getting booked when it’s a red card, it’s giving a throw in to the wrong team and then that team scoring from the throw in. The standard is getting worse as the SFA fast track refs up the levels and they are not ready,  I mean 4 years ago I was watching Kevin Clancy, Andrew Dallas and and Don Robertson refereeing junior games now they are doing rangers and Celtic games and they are not good enough.  

Who would you have refereeing top level games ahead of Clancy etc?

Refs certainly influence games and make errors, but if we’re talking of wrongly given throws then it’s ridiculous.   The number of goals scored from throws that were because of mishit passes,  shanked clearences or a poor first touch is much higher than those wrongly given.   You are watching pish poor footballers for the most part, how you can hold referees to a standard many tiers higher i don’t know.

40 minutes ago, beithboy said:

Wish it had been only 4 years - maybe 8-10 years ago.  Dallas lied about Kenny Shiels 9/10 seasons ago when he accused him of foul language, which Kilmarnock/Shiels proved was not the case as there was a camera filming behind the dug outs that Dallas never knew about. 

https://www.pressreader.com/uk/scottish-daily-mail/20121215/283519383198682

Clancy has been on the international list of FIFA referees since January 2012.  

Edited by paul wright scores
Typos

22 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

That's where the argument fell down. You can't slag off refs when you're throwing apostrophes into plurals... 

Anyway, I bet the OP would be better than Collina if he ever bothered to try

It's far too easy to blame referees and I reckon  players will make far more mistakes per game than the man in the middle,  if players stopped cheating non stop ( let's be honest football must be the only sport that you're a cheat from your first kick of a ball  ) then it would make a ref's job that whole lot easier   . 

Whether It's stealing 5 yards with a throw in, taking a corner an inch outside the D   , surrounding ref's in packs trying to get guys sent off , diving and feigning injury or any other form of cheating it all makes the ref's job all the harder , if players improved their conduct then ref's would at least have half a chance and instead they're on the proverbial hiding to nothing. 

Its too easy to slate ref's and they've got a really horrendous job and I don't think the standard is any worse than before,  quite often fans are blinkered and use the ref to deflect their own teams inadequacies,  if the same fans took in a game as a neutral with impartial viewing then they would probably leave the game not even thinking of the ref's performance.  

15 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Also worth remembering that there's a good chance that the referee is only person on the pitch, and perhaps in the ground, who has passed an exam on the laws of the game. 

Indeed, probably the only one who has even read the laws.

On 13/11/2022 at 09:56, Sergeant Wilson said:

Especially when at most games they are on their todd. Mistakes are part of the game, it doesn't stop me shouting or laughing at the time, but there's no point in getting your knickers in a twist.

Hate it when poster's do that

The drop off in referees is alaming. Apparently they are leaving the game in droves because of coach and spectator abuse. If fewer are going to courses then the pool of talent is going to become shallower and the shallower it becomes the more often you're going to see referees of lower ability taking matches. Football only has itself to blame for this and everyone involved should reflect on this question: What happens when there are no more referees left?

On 14/11/2022 at 09:37, Thejackdaw said:

It's far too easy to blame referees and I reckon  players will make far more mistakes per game than the man in the middle,  if players stopped cheating non stop ( let's be honest football must be the only sport that you're a cheat from your first kick of a ball  ) then it would make a ref's job that whole lot easier   . 

Whether It's stealing 5 yards with a throw in, taking a corner an inch outside the D   , surrounding ref's in packs trying to get guys sent off , diving and feigning injury or any other form of cheating it all makes the ref's job all the harder , if players improved their conduct then ref's would at least have half a chance and instead they're on the proverbial hiding to nothing. 

Its too easy to slate ref's and they've got a really horrendous job and I don't think the standard is any worse than before,  quite often fans are blinkered and use the ref to deflect their own teams inadequacies,  if the same fans took in a game as a neutral with impartial viewing then they would probably leave the game not even thinking of the ref's performance.  

I agree with this, however some of the mistakes they make are horrendous and they don't help themselves.

Like the one near the end of the game on Saturday when the referee (who I thought had an okay game apart from far too many bookings) blew for a free kick to Beith instead of letting the game play on, as there was a Beith forward with the ball in the box about 12 yards out from goal with a clear shot at goal.   He actually apologised to the Beith players, which is big of him but effectively cost them the chance to equalise.

1 minute ago, paul wright scores said:

I agree with this, however some of the mistakes they make are horrendous and they don't help themselves.

Like the one near the end of the game on Saturday when the referee (who I thought had an okay game apart from far too many bookings) blew for a free kick to Beith instead of letting the game play on, as there was a Beith forward with the ball in the box about 12 yards out from goal with a clear shot at goal.   He actually apologised to the Beith players, which is big of him but effectively cost them the chance to equalise.

I know and I actually couldn't believe it either when he pulled that one back,  as said I don't like blaming ref's as it can often be used as deflection when our teams don't play so well , credit to him though for admitting the howler...

Out of interest what were your thoughts on the beith red card ? At the time I thought it was a huge over reaction from the ref and I've watched it back a few times and I'm just not feeling it at all but lots of people see things differently. 

1 hour ago, Thejackdaw said:

I know and I actually couldn't believe it either when he pulled that one back,  as said I don't like blaming ref's as it can often be used as deflection when our teams don't play so well , credit to him though for admitting the howler...

Out of interest what were your thoughts on the beith red card ? At the time I thought it was a huge over reaction from the ref and I've watched it back a few times and I'm just not feeling it at all but lots of people see things differently. 

TBH I was standing in line with the 18 yard line where Arthurlie scored from when the sending off occurred and didn't get the best of views but from where I was it looked like his foot had gone in on the Arthurlie player.    

I moved back round to the other end just after Beith equalised so saw the foul I referred to clearly.