Calvin Ramsay

After his first call up to the National Team I think it's correct to start a thread on him as I think he could become an important player for us in the future. I thought I'd start with with my trademark of a few quotes to mark the occasion.

On achieving another dream by receiving his first call-up to the senior Scotland national side…

• It has been amazing. Obviously first coming to Liverpool and making my debut. Then getting the Scotland call-up as well for the first team, it has been amazing. I think I’ve been in all the Scotland age groups coming up. Now to make the final step and get into the first team, it’s a special moment. I can’t wait – hopefully I get on the pitch and make my debut for Scotland as well. 
  • It’s some team, to be fair. With the full-backs, there’s a lot of young full-backs coming up and the full-backs we’ve got in the first team – Robertson, Kieran Tierney and that – they’re top players. There’s competition for every place. I’ve just to go there, train well and hopefully catch the manager’s eye and get a few minutes on the pitch. I’m just buzzing to be called up to Scotland, it’s what you dream of as a kid. To actually be there now and doing it is a dream come true.

On following advice from Robertson with club and country…

• Obviously it has been good because I almost know what it’s going to take when I go away there, I know what it’s going to be like. He’ll obviously help me and coach me at different points when he can. I’ve just got to listen to him, take his advice and hopefully try to follow in his footsteps.

Calvin Ramsay

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/calvin-ramsay-first-lfc-start-scotland-call-and-robertson-advice

I want to have a look at Calvin. I know what he did at Aberdeen, he got a fantastic move to Liverpool and he made his debut at Anfield in the Champions League, which is not a bad start. He had an interrupted start to his Liverpool career because they found an injury but they've treated it well and he's had time to come through it. I'm missing a couple of players in that position anyway, so it's a chance to get Calvin in and have a look.

Steve Clarke

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.com/sport/football/we-have-to-take-it-on-the-chin-steve-clarke-reaction-as-celtic-refuse-to-release-players-for-scotland-duty-3912358

I think he's a quality player but hopefully there isn't much pressure on him as we've still got two class right-backs and Ralston's a fine option. He should be able to progress at his own pace until we get to another Robertson/Tierney debate.

10 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I think he's a quality player but hopefully there isn't much pressure on him as we've still got two class right-backs and Ralston's a fine option. He should be able to progress at his own pace until we get to another Robertson/Tierney debate.

I wonder how easy it’ll be for Ralston and maybe some of the other Celtic players, to get back in after not being able to come away with the squad this time. You’d have to think that with both Patterson and Hickey doing well down south, his place in the squad might have been in danger anyway.

Good player, hoping to see him get some action in this game.  Does anyone know if he has ever played a competitive game as a wing back? If we go with wing backs then the other options in the squad might include Ryan Fraser or dare I say it Andy Robertson....😁 

I don't think it's a big issue to be honest and from what I've read in the paper it seems more likely we'll be using full-backs for this game, but you never know.

From what I remember of Aberdeen at the start of last season, they tended to be in a back three in possession as Scott Brown would spend most of the game between the two CBs. Ramsay would essentially be a wing-back in that situation. 

Aberdeen mainly played a four last season but as accies says, Brown would be very deep and there were certain games where we switched to a back 5. Ramsay probably spent more time in the opposition half than his own whilst he was there so playing as a wing back shouldn’t be an issue.

• 1 year later...

The intention is for Calvin Ramsay to go on loan again for the second half of the season. Hopefully wherever he goes it works out better than it did at Preston North End.

If he has a good loan then I think he has a small chance of making it to Euro 2024 depending on our injury situation, but I'm not going to focus much on that. If he can get solid minutes on the pitch and stay injury free then that would be positive. 

Him (Calvin Ramsay) and Nat [Phillips], good examples. There's interest – [which] is good. We have to find – with the agent, with himself, with the clubs – the right decision for the player. He needs to have game time, needs to play, have a lot of success.

That's why I like the move of Fabio [Carvalho], for example. He plays a lot, is straight away decisive – together with Tyler [Morton]. Matt Newberry, our head of loans, he's full of business this winter. He needs a holiday after this for sure! These boys all have potential, otherwise they would not be with us. But they need as well the right pathway. What you said, a good loan can do wonders.

Pep Lijnders

https://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/pep-lijnders-discusses-loan-plan-calvin-ramsay

• 1 month later...

Had a look to see how Ramsay is doing, appears he’s not even making the bench for Bolton currently ?? 
Unless he is injured again ( unable to find out ) but he’s had a Terrible time of it since joining Liverpool 

Becoming a real frustration with all the talented youngsters at various clubs in scotland heading south at the first opportunity rather than staying short term, becoming mainstays in their respective teams then going as far more rounded players. Doesn't seem to work out for 90% of them.

5 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Becoming a real frustration with all the talented youngsters at various clubs in scotland heading south at the first opportunity rather than staying short term, becoming mainstays in their respective teams then going as far more rounded players. Doesn't seem to work out for 90% of them.

I don’t think anyone could blame him for leaving to be part of the Liverpool first team squad. Injuries have been a huge issue for him. Had he stayed fit, he would’ve had plenty of opportunities particularly in the cups.

20 hours ago, Self-raising Lazarus said:

Sadly there is no obvious route for success. It has worked out okay for Gilmour and may end up working out for Doak but maybe not for Ramsay. 

It is not a guarantee that had he stayed another year at Aberdeen then maybe he would have followed Hickey's career path and still ended up at the top level. 

It is incredibly hard and rare to make it at the top level so going for it and falling short doesn't necessarily doesn't mean you won't be a professional footballer, just maybe not at the top level. 

Injuries at at this developmental stage may end up being very unfortunate for him.

On 17/03/2024 at 16:25, Self-raising Lazarus said:

With the exception of Gilmour, the best of them all had 2 or 3 seasons of regular first team football under their belt before making the move.