What will you do during the World Cup break?

2 hours ago, A96 said:

That’s  not the Highland League.  Think it’s maybe under-18’s.

Unless Stonehaven and Hermes (Evri) have been parachuted into the Highland League mid-season.

It's the GPH Builders Merchants Aberdeenshire League, whatever that is. I thought folk were looking for non 3.00 Saturday matches on during the World Cup, so there's a few.

15 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's their U20s league: not traditionally an obvious go-to for spectators although in that competition and Lowland/East/West equivalent you can usually get into ground and watch. Latter play on Friday nights.

Obviously the whole gamut of youth, womens and amateur football will be continuing like the lower leagues and the pyramid.

Cheers for that HJ.

On 13/11/2022 at 11:07, VincentGuerin said:

I'll be watching my local non-league heroes Coalville Town, plus some other Midlands/north of England non-League stuff.

I'll probably go to Burton Albion at some point too, since I've completely neglected them this season.

Beer paradise. 

I'll just keep ticking off some Tier 5 and under grounds...and it's Scottish Cup business next Saturday, although jury is still out on where the Jolly Boys will end up. Linlithgow v Sauchie is current favourite...

I won't be watching that FIFA clusterfuck on tv, anyway.

Qatar !! Jesus....

image.jpeg.b51f1c4b68933c39dec58622287fe2bc.jpeg

On 15/11/2022 at 14:56, kingjoey said:

Cheers for that HJ.

It's a long story but basically pre-WWII the Aberdeenshire League was the eastern equivalent of the Highland League. Gradually clubs moved from AL to HL - hence why its name doesn't make sense - IIRC.

Then after WWII competition was revived as a reserve league which didn't last beyond early 1950s.

Then when HL clubs began an U21s league in 1990s they gave it this name.

Edited by HibeeJibee

I've been ploughing through the 'FIFA Uncovered' documentary on Netflix.  Suffice to say that hardly anyone emerges with integrity, whether it be FIFA high heid-yins, politicians, Government officials or narcissistic grifters like Beckham.

I'm sure there has been corruption of some sort around the World Cup since it's inception but the level of it nowadays is off the scale.  Well worth a watch though, and some very brave contributions too.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

I've been ploughing through the 'FIFA Uncovered' documentary on Netflix.  Suffice to say that hardly anyone emerges with integrity, whether it be FIFA high heid-yins, politicians, Government officials or narcissistic grifters like Beckham.

I'm sure there has been corruption of some sort around the World Cup since it's inception but the level of it nowadays is off the scale.  Well worth a watch though, and some very brave contributions too.

Blatter giving interviews saying none of the corruption and bribes etc were anything to do with him.

Aye okay mate 🤦‍♂️😂

17 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Blatter giving interviews saying none of the corruption and bribes etc were anything to do with him.

Aye okay mate 🤦‍♂️😂

Same as the Qataris continually pointing out they've never been convicted of paying bribes.

So, all those FIFA lads who got done for receiving bribes, were they just bribed by themselves? 😀

This is a good idea. I'm going to see if there's any way I can bribe myself a million quid or so. Will report back.

Edited by VincentGuerin

1 hour ago, VincentGuerin said:

Same as the Qataris continually pointing out they've never been convicted of paying bribes.

So, all those FIFA lads who got done for receiving bribes, were they just bribed by themselves? 😀

This is a good idea. I'm going to see if there's any way I can bribe myself a million quid or so. Will report back.

Mohammed Bin Hamman trying to bring in a new regime at FIFA to put an end to Blatter's shady deals by gifting all the CONCAF delegates a brown envelope with forty thousand dollars in it just before he stood for election against him was a topper in fairness. 

8 minutes ago, Flybhoy said:

Mohammed Bin Hamman trying to bring in a new regime at FIFA to put an end to Blatter's shady deals by gifting all the CONCAF delegates a brown envelope with forty thousand dollars in it just before he stood for election against him was a topper in fairness. 

And let us not forget the disgraceful treatment John McBeth received as he attempted to blow the whistle on malpractice at FIFA.

1 hour ago, O'Kelly Isley III said:

And let us not forget the disgraceful treatment John McBeth received as he attempted to blow the whistle on malpractice at FIFA.

I have very vague recollections of this, rings a bell now you bring this up, can you expand a bit more?