St Johnstone vs Motherwell - 12th November 2022

So the last game for both teams before the winter shut down. Both teams in that large hunch in the middle, looking to pull away as much as possible. Saints unbeaten in 4, Motherwell almost the opposite. Still these are always tightly contested games and usually end 2-1 so that’s probably the result one way or another. 

Got to get the right team on the park here. For me that is:

Matthews

Wright McGowan Gordon Considine Montgomery

Wotherspoon Hallberg Carey

May Clark

Still lacking a bit of presence in front of the defence but given Mitchell’s suspension McGowan is needed further back and we don’t have anyone else better than the other three.

Last game before the break and an opportunity to pull away from the bottom and give ourselves a position to build from after the World Cup.

Interested to see how Motherwell line up given their apparent injury issues. Always seems like players magically become fit at the last second in these circumstances.

Wonder whether Parish will be back in goal for this one. He was limping for large parts of the game from moments in the first half onwards on Wednesday. I also noticed him taking a goal kick on his left foot as well and regularly avoiding using his right leg when he could. 

Can see Davidson sticking with Brown if he's fit.

0-0. 

Edited by SJFCtheTeamForMe

21 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

Wonder whether Parish will be back in goal for this one. He was limping for large parts of the game from moments in the first half onwards on Wednesday. I also noticed him taking a goal kick on his left foot as well and regularly avoiding using his right leg when he could. 

0-0. 

I noticed that and also noticed the fact that Remi's left footed kicks were barely any different to his right. It's actually impressive that in 3 months of a season I don't flinch every time a ball goes back towards our goalkeeper now. Clark was notoriously poor from the ground at times!

15 minutes ago, SJFCtheTeamForMe said:

0-0. 

I'd play Remi even if his leg's been amputated. 

Expect that CD will indeed go with Jamie's team but with Brown instead of Monty. Not what I or most fans would do but there you go. 

With Motherwell seemingly having a lot of injuries all over the park including KVV, hard to see where their goals come from against that back 3. Sean Goss possibly the biggest threat?

Must be the fact it's a Friday but despite the fact they seemed to do well against Celtic I'm feeling fairly confident that a draw would be a bad result for us here. 

2-1, and Saints to head to the WC break with 13 points from 15 under VAR.

We will play well despite extensive injury list.  And will contrive to miss 3 open goals and 2 penalties. St Johnstone to have 1, 2 or 3 shots on target which will mean 1, 2 or 3 goals. 

Poor run but caveat that with games played. Celtic x 2, Hearts x 2, Aberdeen, Rangers and Hibs.  DDee Utd x 2 in there also. But we at least picked up 4 points from those two games. Unless you count United as a diddy club - these days yes.  Then not a diddy in sight last 10 games.  In fact St Johnstone are 1st real diddy we will have faced in past 2 months !!  Just when u r coming good 🙂

St Johnstone by 1 goal. It was ever thus.....

St Johnstone win. 2-1 probably as that seems to have been the way things have been going for us this season and we've a fairly shite record in Perth generally.

2 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Interested to see how Motherwell line up given their apparent injury issues. Always seems like players magically become fit at the last second in these circumstances.

Tbh, it'll be the same line up we've been playing for weeks. It seems we've been asking players to play through injury and that was another few went off the other night.

It's very much a case of us just wanting this game done and everyone can take a beat. We've a first team squad of 20 outfield players and 4 have long term injuries, we can only get 30 mins at best out of Moult - it was known that we'd be having to manage his minutes when we signed him (and he apparently had an operation on his ankle a couple of weeks ago). That's before you even get to the various players who are probably 75% fit or whatever.

Plus Connor Shields...

That's not an excuse as such - every team gets injuries but we've basically been having to run with the same 16 players through our toughest run of fixtures of the season. We've played well in fits and starts this season and everything 'clicked' against County in Dingwall but right now we just look absolutely knackered.

I think when the fixture list was announced most of us looked at the October - November period as...tough. The way things shook out we had most of the fixtures we'd hope/expect to get something from front loaded so the feeling was that when Stevie May prodded that winner at Fir Park and we contrived to lose having been 1 up at Killie, it'd come back to bite us on the arse.

And it has.

Edited by capt_oats

3 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Matthews

May Clark

Still lacking a bit of presence in front of the defence but given Mitchell’s suspension McGowan is needed further back and we don’t have anyone else better than the other three.

Last game before the break and an opportunity to pull away from the bottom and give ourselves a position to build from after the World Cup.

Brown could play CB,and let Skippy into midfield,he’s done ok there before

32 minutes ago, glenrothes 1884 saint said:

Brown could play CB,and let Skippy into midfield,he’s done ok there before

Tbh I’d play Brown at CB instead of LWB every day. If we go with Brown on the left again I’d love to hear the explanation as to why. 

4 hours ago, Jamie_Beatson said:

Matthews

May Clark

Agree with all of this. 

12 minutes ago, Valentino Bolognese said:

Hold on, let's back up minute here.

Hibs aren't diddies?

When they play against us? Yes. Every other time? No.

This is what I feel is a must win game. If we win, we have a recover period of 4+weeks, go I  with a high and close the gap between those above. Lose and we fall in the Killie, Utd and county relegation group.

While I would say we haven't been bad, we keep losing easily defendable goals and it's costing us points left, right and centre.

Edited by Phillips455