Ben Doak

Gordopolis

5 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The bold Jack was on the scoresheet in the Copa Del Rey last weekend, I bet Clarke didn't even know that.

Complete negligence from Clarke as usual - typical Scotland. If we were a serious footballing nation we'd be using our limited time together to call up uncapped 26 year olds to get a look at them

Anyway, check out my Twitter account @ScotsAbroadPod 

Italy capped a 16 year old, Simone Pafundi, yesterday who only has one senior club appearance (and youth appearances only up to U17 international level).

Not saying we should necessarily replicate it but capping Doak, at this stage, wouldn't be outrageous or unprecedented.

Sure the SFA will make the right call either way.

4 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Italy capped a 16 year old, Simone Pafundi, yesterday who only has one senior club appearance (and youth appearances only up to U17 international level).

Not saying we should necessarily replicate it but capping Doak, at this stage, wouldn't be outrageous or unprecedented.

Sure the SFA will make the right call either way.

As has already been pointed out, he only qualifies for Scotland so there really isn't any rush. He's had one senior game, let him develop and see where he is in a year or two. 

37 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

The SFA don't make the calls, Steve Clarke makes the calls.

I imagine in this situation it would be a discussion within the SFA as to which age group is best for him for his development (and for the development of others in that age group).

I would be surprised if Clarke can make such calls in a vacuum without consultation of age group managers. Might be wrong though, I don't know. Would be strange were he to call him up and not play him, rather than have him play a crucial u21 qualifier, for example.

7 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

As has already been pointed out, he only qualifies for Scotland so there really isn't any rush. He's had one senior game, let him develop and see where he is in a year or two. 

Yep, that's a perfectly fair perspective.

16 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Does Steve Clarke strike you as the sort of person who would appreciate being told who he could and couldn't pick?

Not particularly, but it probably isn't as black and white as you think. Say Steve Clarke hated Billy Stark (they were team mates for a year at St. Mirren), do you think he would be able to call up the entire U19 squad for a senior training camp (or fixture) and force Stark to select a new squad?

For players like Doak elligable for a number of squads it would be a discussion within the SFA, if Clarke wanted to select him and not play him, and the U21s had a crucial qualifier that could benefit that whole age group, it's hardly outwith the bounds of possibility that the SFA would want Doak to play in the latter.

This certainly doesn't just apply to Scotland, you may think that managers have totally free reign to select whoever they want, but do you really think the England manager could drop Kane for the world cup, or the Brazilian manager drop Neymar? If they make any batshit calls they would be telt I'm sure.

8 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Not particularly, but it probably isn't as black and white as you think. Say Steve Clarke hated Billy Stark (they were team mates for a year at St. Mirren), do you think he would be able to call up the entire U19 squad for a senior training camp (or fixture) and force Stark to select a new squad?

For players like Doak elligable for a number of squads it would be a discussion within the SFA, if Clarke wanted to select him and not play him, and the U21s had a crucial qualifier that could benefit that whole age group, it's hardly outwith the bounds of possibility that the SFA would want Doak to play in the latter.

This certainly doesn't just apply to Scotland, you may think that managers have totally free reign to select whoever they want, but do you really think the England manager could drop Kane for the world cup, or the Brazilian manager drop Neymar? If they make any batshit calls they would be telt I'm sure.

Wish the sfa would stick with 4 at the back going forward.

BBC gossip column so not the most reliable of sources maybe but apparently Nottingham Forest are looking at taking him on loan. Not sure he's ready for premier league football yet but would be quite a rarity for a just turned 17 year old Scottish player to be playing regularly at that sort of level.

• 4 weeks later...