Ben Doak

Gordopolis

The Performance Schools sound nice, but without knowing exactly what attending or graduating through the SFA Performance School entails it's hard to attach much value to the program and even harder to compare to other Academies across the country. I think you would have to have involved with your own son or daughter to get even some idea of that.

I don't think you can just say X and Y graduated through the SFA performance school therefore because Z also graduated through the SFA's Performance School he will also be a good player.

Cheers.
On an unrelated note, Alex Lowry - is there anything to read into the fact he is in this squad but hasn't even been on Rangers' bench this season? I know he was injured until recently, but if he's been named in the u21s then he's surely for again.
Apparently he had a worst of all time game against us on Tuesday. I've still not seen him (hopefully make it to the upcoming u21 friendly) but it doesn't sound like Van Bronckhorst has a high opinion of him atm and I'm not sure it's to do with his ability.

44 minutes ago, accies1874 said:
12 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
Cheers.
On an unrelated note, Alex Lowry - is there anything to read into the fact he is in this squad but hasn't even been on Rangers' bench this season? I know he was injured until recently, but if he's been named in the u21s then he's surely for again.

Apparently he had a worst of all time game against us on Tuesday. I've still not seen him (hopefully make it to the upcoming u21 friendly) but it doesn't sound like Van Bronckhorst has a high opinion of him atm and I'm not sure it's to do with his ability.

Lowry was injured FFS and Man City wanted him Gio made him sign the new deal  holly Mother off f**k

On 11/11/2022 at 12:34, DAFC. said:

And? He is 16. Yes, he is doing well, but c'mon we have regulars in that position playing well. He has literally only came on to the scene. Give it time. This is what we do to ourselves: hype boys up way too soon, and they end up playing League 1 football by the time they hit 24. 

Every fanbase in the world gets excited about young players breaking into or being on the periphery of the first team. Fan's hopes and aspirations for these players has no bearing on their ultimate career trajectory. They are either good enough and 1. go on to fulfil that (purported) potential or at least some of that potential, or 2. are not good enough.

If they fall into that middle ground of "believing the hype" and that adversely impacts on their development due to poor attitude and thinking they have already made it, then that hype is generated by agents, those close to the player, and newspapers - not a collection of oddballs on football forums debating the merits of the player. 

Also the word "kid" and "the boy" should be banned from these types of threads - to me, sounds like an over clingy coach who is also a "close" family friend commenting 😄 

Edited by KingRocketman II
spelling

1 hour ago, accies1874 said:
13 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
Cheers.

I dont know the guy or have any first hand information or anything  but I think we have both read the same information. Allegations of him acting not quite the concerned professional.

Which if true is not a great start for a young guy starting out tbh

17 hours ago, Gordopolis said:
18 hours ago, Tartan Blood said:
Well we could use the Gilmour and Patterson model. Neither were regulars for their clubs when they first got called up. However, their talent was just too high to ignore and it wasn't worth waiting for them to get more minutes. 
Doak just turned 17. I'd say it's almost certainly still too soon for him. But if he gets similar game time to what Gilmour got at Chelsea, I don't see why he shouldn't be fast-tracked to the seniors. Probably in a year or 2.
Also, for every Islam Feruz and Calvin Miller, there is a Kieran Tierney and Aaron Hickey. Some of our youths do turn into stars.

The Gilmour and Patterson *is* the PS model (both were both PS students). I don't know enough about the set-up to know if there is any clear yardstick of "this guy is going to make it to at least a level where he'll be useful at international level" or not. It'd be a brilliant - but maybe impossible - objective for the performance schools to have.

Sorry, by "model" I was referring to how we call up players in general, not specifically because they were performance schoolers. If any 18/19 year old shows the abilities of, say, Patterson, then I think there is no reason to wait for him to be older.

As someone else said, Doak did go to the Celtic version of a performance school. It's another good endorsement of the approach. It's something like an extra 800 hours of football per year and involves a lot more tactical awareness and psychology. 

Obviously there will be successes and failures, but essentially it is preparing these players to the highest possible standard. It means that they are mentally prepared for senior football, without necessarily needing the years of experience to go with it.

21 hours ago, accies1874 said:

The chat from after their game with us where Lowry was brutally murdered was that Lowry was giving it billy big baws chat to a few of our players (as Rangers ran out winners by 7) and eventually Ally Love took the opportunity presented to him to punt him into next week. Wouldn't shock me if he had an attitude issue.