Ben Doak

Gordopolis

And? He is 16. Yes, he is doing well, but c'mon we have regulars in that position playing well. He has literally only came on to the scene. Give it time. This is what we do to ourselves: hype boys up way too soon, and they end up playing League 1 football by the time they hit 24. 
I'm excited about him but it's not a massive rush to get him involved at the moment. Fair enough if we get to March and he's played a bit more adult football (not asking him to be displacing Salah, just more evidence that he's worth calling up at such a young age) but I don't think we should rush him given how mental his year has been anyway.

I watched Doak in Liverpools League cup match and he looked promising but not more than that. Calvin Ramsay looked quality in the same game and that's the first time I've seen him so I was quite impressed. I wouldn't mind if we saw him play a part for Scotland next week. 

22 hours ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

The Welsh cap this sort of player as soon as they get a sniff of first team action at a club like Liverpool. 

And? To what end?

Am I missing something? As far as I know Doak is Scots born, to Scots parents and Scots grandparents. He's not going anywhere else. Lets cap him when he is ready to be capped. 

22 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And? To what end?

Am I missing something? As far as I know Doak is Scots born, to Scots parents and Scots grandparents. He's not going anywhere else. Let’s cap him when he is ready to be capped. 

Also Wales whilst having a decent first eleven their depth can usually be pretty bad so more likely to give younger guys a chance as they don’t have anyone else worth giving a try. Doak is an outstanding prospect but no need really to Chuck him in yet tbh.

7 hours ago, DAFC. said:

And? He is 16. Yes, he is doing well, but c'mon we have regulars in that position playing well. He has literally only came on to the scene. Give it time. This is what we do to ourselves: hype boys up way too soon, and they end up playing League 1 football by the time they hit 24. 

34 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

And? To what end?

Am I missing something? As far as I know Doak is Scots born, to Scots parents and Scots grandparents. He's not going anywhere else. Lets cap him when he is ready to be capped. 

I want really offering an opinion on whether that's right or wrong. The likes of the boy who was on loan to Hearts, Ben Woodburn, springs to mind as someone who hasn't lived up to the early hype.

I guess it comes down to whether we want to adopt the performance schools approach with Doak (is he PS? I only just thought of that there.)

As in, he's clearly a standout talent who has the potential to be a very good player, so do we nurture him carefully, with perhaps a few early "experience" call ups to the full squad without any expectations. Or do we refuse to select him until he is playing for Liverpool at least semi regularly?

1 hour ago, Ro Sham Bo said:

I want really offering an opinion on whether that's right or wrong. The likes of the boy who was on loan to Hearts, Ben Woodburn, springs to mind as someone who hasn't lived up to the early hype.

Fair enough. It read like you were suggesting we should be doing the same.

As @gannonball said, Wales have less squad depth than we do. Woodburn cant have missed the World Cup squad by all that much if the likes of Mark Harris made it in.

1 hour ago, Gordopolis said:

I guess it comes down to whether we want to adopt the performance schools approach with Doak (is he PS? I only just thought of that there.)

As in, he's clearly a standout talent who has the potential to be a very good player, so do we nurture him carefully, with perhaps a few early "experience" call ups to the full squad without any expectations. Or do we refuse to select him until he is playing for Liverpool at least semi regularly?

Well we could use the Gilmour and Patterson model. Neither were regulars for their clubs when they first got called up. However, their talent was just too high to ignore and it wasn't worth waiting for them to get more minutes. 

Doak just turned 17. I'd say it's almost certainly still too soon for him. But if he gets similar game time to what Gilmour got at Chelsea, I don't see why he shouldn't be fast-tracked to the seniors. Probably in a year or 2.

Also, for every Islam Feruz and Calvin Miller, there is a Kieran Tierney and Aaron Hickey. Some of our youths do turn into stars.

Well we could use the Gilmour and Patterson model. Neither were regulars for their clubs when they first got called up. However, their talent was just too high to ignore and it wasn't worth waiting for them to get more minutes. 
Doak just turned 17. I'd say it's almost certainly still too soon for him. But if he gets similar game time to what Gilmour got at Chelsea, I don't see why he shouldn't be fast-tracked to the seniors. Probably in a year or 2.
Also, for every Islam Feruz and Calvin Miller, there is a Kieran Tierney and Aaron Hickey. Some of our youths do turn into stars.
The Gilmour and Patterson *is* the PS model (both were both PS students). I don't know enough about the set-up to know if there is any clear yardstick of "this guy is going to make it to at least a level where he'll be useful at international level" or not. It'd be a brilliant - but maybe impossible - objective for the performance schools to have.

I don’t believe he is a PS product going by the under-21s squad announcement D0D2A94E-F202-4270-96F4-A36DEC504CE3.thumb.jpeg.c62b08ed4bc207e757ea9cdaff048786.jpeg
Cheers.
On an unrelated note, Alex Lowry - is there anything to read into the fact he is in this squad but hasn't even been on Rangers' bench this season? I know he was injured until recently, but if he's been named in the u21s then he's surely for again.

I don’t believe he is a PS product going by the under-21s squad announcement D0D2A94E-F202-4270-96F4-A36DEC504CE3.thumb.jpeg.c62b08ed4bc207e757ea9cdaff048786.jpeg

Celtic run their own academy which is similar to the performance schools but isn't officially affiliated to the SFA. Doak went to that one (as did Aaron Hickey and Kieran Tierney).

50 minutes ago, Gordopolis said:

Cheers.
On an unrelated note, Alex Lowry - is there anything to read into the fact he is in this squad but hasn't even been on Rangers' bench this season? I know he was injured until recently, but if he's been named in the u21s then he's surely for again.

Think since he got injured he’s been playing for the B team (also where he got his injury I believe) and I’m not entirely sure on the rules on going between the 2 squads. He did get 8 minutes in the home defeat to Ajax so I’d imagine after the world cup break he might get more first team minutes. 

46 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

Celtic run their own academy which is similar to the performance schools but isn't officially affiliated to the SFA. Doak went to that one (as did Aaron Hickey and Kieran Tierney).

Ah cheers, didn’t know that

11 hours ago, Central Belt Caley said:

I don’t believe he is a PS product going by the under-21s squad announcement 

Whilst as others have pointed out he went to the non-PS school Celtic are affiliated to, I wouldn't use the SFA squad announcements as any indicator of who actually went. They seem to regularly get it wrong and fail to note the kids that have been in the system. I have wondered for a while if they are only listing those who 'graduate' or something like that.