Stranraer -vs- Stenhousemuir (Saturday 12 November 2022)

Another enormous match in the push for the play-offs take place on Saturday as Stranraer entertain Stenhousemuir at Stair Park. The last meeting between the sides was a pretty even contest, despite the Warriors winning 3-1, with only their prowess from set-pieces ultimately proving to the be the difference. Since then, Stranraer have bubbled along nicely enough, sometimes winning, sometimes losing; Stenhousemuir, meanwhile, have collected just three points from their last four matches and find themselves some distance behind the sides at the top of the table.

There have been a couple of times where it feels as though we've reached the death throes of Stephen Swift's reign (the previous one was back in August, come to think of it) but he's somehow swerved it by putting together a handful of positive results and giving the impression we're moving in the right direction. The same thing is happening again and I worry that another mediocre showing (at a ground we always seem to struggle at, no less) could be his undoing. It's been written about numerous times but we're at the stage where we need to score two goals just to take something from a game. Chuck in the fact we're losing important goals late on - Annan Athletic, Stirling Albion and East Fife all scored at the death to snatch wins and draws from us - and it's a recipe for disaster.

I'm not quite sure how I'd line up this team Dan Higgins will miss out but Sean Crighton should be back, so there's a straight swap in central defence right there. I'm not so sure what I'd do elsewhere. Maybe swap out Adam Brown for Will Swell? Get him up close to Matty Yates and running off his through balls? I don't know. I'd like to see Euan O'Reilly playing as an orthodox winger rather than some makeshift centre-forward. O'Reilly is at his best when he's hugging the touchline, taking players on and slinging in crosses. Just let him get on with it and don't be too smart about it!

- Will Sewell - Matty Yates -

- Euan O'Reilly - Nat Wedderburn - Ross Forbes - Ross Philp -

- Callum Yeats - Sean Crighton - Adam Corbett - Mikey Miller -

- Conor Brennan -

Stenhousemuir need to win the game but given our form and our recent trips to Stranraer, I think it'll be a draw. If you've got low expectations, you can't be disappointed!

The Warriors should do well if Stranraer have to complete two fixtures this weekend (according to last week's programme v East Fife), that should stretch their squad somewhat.

DSCN5020.JPG.6813c1156ae0adba0783953828b2958e.JPG

On that match, I can't understand Swift's selections at times, and am baffled at Will Sewell being kept on the bench when the side has no focus up front. But again, I'm puzzled by the decisions lots of managers make. Perhaps he feels he can't play Euan O'Reilly and Will Sewell in the same side?

But then, Swift accommodates Wedderburn and Forbes, who let the East Fife youngsters take a rise out of them last Saturday, and thought it was a good idea to remove Callum Yeats for Scott Walker at a vital stage late on. I thought, Stephen, you don't make it easy on yourself, and wonder if after the equaliser he had no regrets. 

19 minutes ago, Dundee Hibernian said:

On that match, I can't understand Swift's selections at times, and am baffled at Will Sewell being kept on the bench when the side has no focus up front. But again, I'm puzzled by the decisions lots of managers make. Perhaps he feels he can't play Euan O'Reilly and Will Sewell in the same side?

But then, Swift accommodates Wedderburn and Forbes, who let the East Fife youngsters take a rise out of them last Saturday, and thought it was a good idea to remove Callum Yeats for Scott Walker at a vital stage late on. I thought, Stephen, you don't make it easy on yourself, and wonder if after the equaliser he had no regrets. 

I'd disagree about the side lacking focus up front - Matty Yates has proven him to be a superb target man and his link-up play is often very good.

As for Callum Yeats, he'd started to cramp up towards the end of last weekend's match.

6 minutes ago, Francesc Fabregas said:

I'd disagree about the side lacking focus up front - Matty Yates has proven him to be a superb target man and his link-up play is often very good.

As for Callum Yeats, he'd started to cramp up towards the end of last weekend's match.

Never realised that about Callum Yeats, but Matty Yates, skilful and difficult to defend against on the ground, doesn't provide much of a focus when the ball is hit above waist height in my view. He needs a player closer to him, rather than many yards away, and with Wedderburn and Forbes lacking mobility and rarely supporting attacks, it's a difficult shift for Yates in games like last Saturdays.

Suppose all that means very little when the goals against almost every game means at least three goals must be scored in the opposition net.               

I suppose I've used the term "target man" in an abstract way - I wasn't referring to a big man to thump long balls up to and battle with defenders, I was mean Yates is a target man as he's very good at playing with his back to goal, taking in passes and popping them off to his team-mates. I do agree that he needs players around him, as was the case in our win over Bonnyrigg Rose where Euan O'Reilly and Adam Brown were a good foil to him.

On 08/11/2022 at 18:03, Dundee Hibernian said:

The Warriors should do well if Stranraer have to complete two fixtures this weekend (according to last week's programme v East Fife), that should stretch their squad somewhat.

DSCN5020.JPG.6813c1156ae0adba0783953828b2958e.JPG

Sewell was unwell last weekend

I'll look forward to reading the reports from those who attended the match but, for someone observing the game via social media, to watch Stranraer have a man sent off and then immediately score their third, decisive goal, sums everything up.

Stephen Swift is running out of time because this just isn't working at the moment.

I thought about posting this in the Stenhousemuir thread but here makes just as much sense. They must be an incredibly frustrating team to support. Every time it looks like Swift has them playing well, they seem to do a complete u-turn and then go on a really poor run. Equally, any time they seem to go on a poor run, they go and pick up a result. 

In terms of yesterday's game, no doubt Stranraer deserved all three points. They were well on top in the first half and probably could have been further in front. Kouider-Aissa missed the target with two chances when he should have worked the goalkeeper. In terms of the first goal, Brennan comes racing from his goal and puts his clearance straight to James Hilton. As soon as that happens, you can tell what is about to happen. Fair play to Hilton, it's a smashing finish. If he tried to drill a shot, it probably would have hit a defender. The fact he goes for the lob means Stenhousemuir's only hope is it goes wide. He can be a frustrating player but he's the one in the Stranraer team that can really do something a little bit different. The second again highlighted defensive issues when a cross into the box is not dealt with. Maybe a little bit unlucky that it falls straight to a Stranraer player but Stenhousemuir should be clearing it.

It looked like it could be game over at that point but Stenny get one back when Matty Yates beats Luke Scullion to a cross and heads home. Stenny were improved after the break but even then Scullion was hardly overworked.  The main talking point/points comes just after 70 minutes. There will be Stranraer fans that think the sending off is harsh but I don't think you can go into tackles with that much force these days and not expect to run the risk of a red card. The reaction from the two benches is typical and sure enough it is a red for Kyle Girvan. Obviously, no idea what was said on the touchline but Hamill is sent off as well. You fancy that it will be all Stenhousemuir for the remaining 20 minutes or so but immediately they concede a goal. That must be a real sickener for their fans because they seem to have the upper hand and then immediately go and concede. Tom Orr pulls one back but, outside of a couple of corners, Stenny fail to really call Scullion into action again.

For a 3-2 game there wasn’t a great deal of excitement. 
Stranraer edged it first half and felt Stenny had the second half. 

Didn’t see much wrong with the tackle from Girvan. He’s in control and wins the ball, I’m looking forward to a second look. 
Really is taking something away from the game if your not allowed to tackle.

Referee didn’t have a great game, strange that he reached in to both pockets before showing the red card. Looked like he was influenced by the Stenny players around him. 
Maybe it’s now a case of our reputation preceding us, our discipline record is horrendous this season yet, I don’t think we’re a dirty or physical side. 

10 hours ago, Mattmc said:

For a 3-2 game there wasn’t a great deal of excitement. 
Stranraer edged it first half and felt Stenny had the second half. 

Didn’t see much wrong with the tackle from Girvan. He’s in control and wins the ball, I’m looking forward to a second look. 
Really is taking something away from the game if your not allowed to tackle.

Referee didn’t have a great game, strange that he reached in to both pockets before showing the red card. Looked like he was influenced by the Stenny players around him. 
Maybe it’s now a case of our reputation preceding us, our discipline record is horrendous this season yet, I don’t think we’re a dirty or physical side. 

Kyle Girvan has got to the ball and made contact with it 2 yards before the Stenny player. 
Not a red for me. 

3 hours ago, Mattmc said:

Kyle Girvan has got to the ball and made contact with it 2 yards before the Stenny player. 
Not a red for me. 

At first viewing it looks like Girvan has his studs back but if you slow it down, at the point of contact, his foot catches the planted foot of the Stenny player with the studs out, so I'd say a red card is the right decision.

Edited by scott666

3 hours ago, scott666 said:

At first viewing it looks like Girvan has his studs back but if you slow it down, at the point of contact, his foot catches the planted foot of the Stenny player with the studs out, so I'd say a red card is the right decision.

I didn’t slow it down because I don’t want to see anything that makes it a red.