Motherwell v Celtic

5 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

LOTG say "All opponents must stand at least 2 m (2 yds) from the point on the touchline where the throw-in is to be taken." nothing about being on the field of play or what happens if it hits an opponent before being in play. 

Even if you said his foot was on the line when it hit him, making him in play, he's not the requisite distance away and deliberately blocking the throw so an indirect free kick? If he's not on the park then the ball isn't even in play when the incident occurs so a retaken throw? I'm not entirety sure, but one thing I do know is the decision Collum and var made was the wrong one. 

So was the Celtic player on or off the field when the throw in was taken? If he’s on the field he’s with two yards, therefore, encroaching on the Motherwell player taking the throw, or, if he’s off the field the Motherwell player has thrown the ball out of play, so it’s a throw in to Celtic. 
Doesn’t matter in the end but it’s a bit of a weird one

2 hours ago, Clown Job said:

6E24877A-5B03-41C2-8302-E9665060C962.jpeg

98665CBB-5CA3-4D56-867F-B98E3CCCDE13.jpeg

That VAR angle is one of the most tinpot things I've ever seen - that would be embarrassing on Sportscene and surely that is a worse angle than the linesman would have?

FWIW, from my position in the East that is more inline than that camera, he looked onside and I was genuinely surprised when it was chalked off.

12 minutes ago, boozyBJ said:

So was the Celtic player on or off the field when the throw in was taken? If he’s on the field he’s with two yards, therefore, encroaching on the Motherwell player taking the throw, or, if he’s off the field the Motherwell player has thrown the ball out of play, so it’s a throw in to Celtic. 
Doesn’t matter in the end but it’s a bit of a weird one

"VAR gets all the big decisions right"

40 minutes ago, 'WellDel said:

Even if you said his foot was on the line when it hit him, making him in play, he's not the requisite distance away and deliberately blocking the throw so an indirect free kick? If he's not on the park then the ball isn't even in play when the incident occurs so a retaken throw? I'm not entirety sure, but one thing I do know is the decision Collum and var made was the wrong one. 

I genuinely don’t think Callum saw it, he seemed to be looking round a player when the reaction to the incident was made.  Then it comes down to VAR, was that the start of the attacking phase?  VAR didn’t care that Hearts scored on Sunday from an incorrectly awarded corner, why should it care about Celtic taking possession from a player impeding a throw in?

27 minutes ago, eliphas said:

If that throw in is legal then what's to stop any player standing off the field and getting in the way of every single throw in. Would certainly make defending the Delap style throw ins easier

Two things - one you cannot "unfairly distract or impede the thrower (including moving closer than 2 m (2 yds) to the place where the throw-in is to be taken)" and two you cannot deliberately leave the field of play without the referee's permission (the Celtic player here was off the field of play legally as part of "playing movement").

1 hour ago, 'WellDel said:

Thing is there's nothing in law 15 which really covers this scenario - if you have a correctly taken throw-in, the opposition player is hypothetically 3 yards away and the ball doesn't touch the ground before entering the field of play then what would stop play from continuing? 

There's also the question of VAR intervening on restarts, this article saying that it can only check what happens after a restart with the example being an out of position ball at a corner, so once the ball is in play from the throw-in does mean nothing can be checked? What about if someone took a throw-in but had a foot off the ground before a goal was scored, would that be overturned?

Edited by Ginaro

Our passing was pretty shocking at times yesterday and overall thought we were a bit disjointed. Jotas goal looked onside for me which was a shame as it was a great ball through and finish. I love Hatate but could do with a rest tbh and would like to see Turnbull given more game time going ahead. Albilgard looked alright coming on too.

Edited by gannonball

I’m not sure you can moan too much about the throw in when it looks like the Motherwell player has gone out of his way to bounce it off him. He could easily have thrown it over him and the way he takes a little pace off it seems deliberate.

9 hours ago, Swello said:

"VAR gets all the big decisions right"

This not exactly the type of incident that VAR was brought in to help resolve, immaterial now but what is the feckin point of it. If they are unsure retake it or award the indiret free kick.

Some pass for the goal though, inch perfect, we taught the boy well...unfortunately.

11 hours ago, S7C said:

Thought Motherwell played well. Would like another look at the Jota goal as the line they drew was on a camera angle from the end of the opposite half. Shambles.

I don’t know on what planet this isn’t a red either.

For all the benefits that VAR brings it’s still the same incompetent bunch in charge.

😳

After Grant’s red card at the weekend this is deemed only a yellow. 
Shambles.

1 hour ago, Dosser1886 said:

If he didn't he's got a whole feckin VAR team that did.

It’s not a decision var can change, if it was intentional then it’s a free kick and a yellow card, var can’t intervene in those decisions. Just gonna have to suck it up like we’re doing with the fact Motherwell should’ve been down to 10 men at that point. 🥲

Edited by Drew Brees

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

It’s not a decision var can change, if it was intentional then it’s a free kick and a yellow card, var can’t intervene in those decisions. Just gonna have to suck it up like we’re doing with the fact Motherwell should’ve been fine to 10 men at that point. 🥲

Afraid so, also can't believe it wasn't a straight red.

1 hour ago, Drew Brees said:

It’s not a decision var can change, if it was intentional then it’s a free kick and a yellow card, var can’t intervene in those decisions. Just gonna have to suck it up like we’re doing with the fact Motherwell should’ve been down to 10 men at that point. 🥲

Depends if that incident was deemed to be an error in the attacking phase of play leading to a goal. VAR can pull back the most innocuous fouls, the rules aren’t too clear about this scenario though. 

We were lucky with Morris’ yellow card, I’ll give you that. 

3 minutes ago, Dosser1886 said:

Afraid so, also can't believe it wasn't a straight red.

Everyone around me was on at him to get a fucking tackle in and then he did that. Maybe he shouldn't bother in future.

We weren't hard done to last night - it could have been worse in fact - it was our own mistakes that were to blame on a night where Celtic were pretty flat (similar to the recent Rangers game in that regard).

35 minutes ago, Swello said:

Everyone around me was on at him to get a fucking tackle in and then he did that. Maybe he shouldn't bother in future.

We weren't hard done to last night - it could have been worse in fact - it was our own mistakes that were to blame on a night where Celtic were pretty flat (similar to the recent Rangers game in that regard).

Think we are all looking for opposing players being tracked, tackled, blocked, players taking one for the team, especially the ones that are being allowed to gallop right through our midfield on a regular basis, but fck me that was just stupid.