⚪ ⚫ 🕷 Queen's Park v The Caley 🔵 🔴

20 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

What’ll really rip my knitting is if he goes to a back five just to accommodate Eze. Just getting that one in early.

...or a three at the back: Eze/ Kilday / Fox. We have been less than convincing at the back with 2 CB. Three may prove more solid. My issue is the number of crosses we allow into the box in the first place. Two from the left against Cove and the one from the centre circle against ICT.  

I would not write any player off; all are learning and shown improved performances as the season progresses; we will need them all and the options they provide for the second half of the season. 

15 hours ago, Spiders67 said:

Apart from a few stormers chucked in there for good measure (Arbroath away esp.) I'd argue we have won some of those games in spite of having that big cabbage at the back 

Aye, nae bother. So we all know the big man has had a few dodgy moments. Erratic would be the best word to describe his time in the team. Ayr away was a shocker for him but he wasn't the only one that day. But do you not think he then had a really good game at Firhill, for example? Made a goal saving block tackle first half and scored a fine header. A pretty much faultless display tbf. I've not got a problem with constructive criticism but you should also dish out praise when it's deserved. If you don't then you just create a scapegoat.

For what it's worth, I also think Fox is a better player and it should be him and Kilday for the foreseeable future.      

On 13/11/2022 at 00:46, bridgeofweirdo said:

Had to miss the game due to clash with Book of Mormon in Glasgow. Can the complete game be watched on catch up as the game was streamed ?

Assuming it can, I tried, but couldn't even log in to my own account. You may have to request access to the saved stream?:

On this occasion, any Queen’s Park member or season ticket holder who cannot attend Saturday’s match can receive a complimentary stream.  To do so, please contact tickets@queensparkfc.co.uk or phone the club office on 0141 632 1275.  To allow arrangements to be set up, requests must be received no later than 4pm on Friday afternoon.

1 hour ago, CathcartSkins said:

...or a three at the back: Eze/ Kilday / Fox. We have been less than convincing at the back with 2 CB. Three may prove more solid. My issue is the number of crosses we allow into the box in the first place. Two from the left against Cove and the one from the centre circle against ICT.  

I would not write any player off; all are learning and shown improved performances as the season progresses; we will need them all and the options they provide for the second half of the season. 

I’d rather two up front. We’re full of talent and skill, it’s the finishing we need to improve on. The best defensive tactic is to keep the ball as far away from your goal as possible, Defend from the front.

We lose most of our goals from individual errors, in and around the 12 yard area. Three at the back won’t stop that.

15 hours ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

This one’s interesting but I confess I don’t know where they get the “market value” from but logically this would intimate what we paid for him? Happy to be corrected on this. The figure is two hundred thousand euro €200k. 

The 'market value' figure given on that website is a valuation. I'm not sure exactly how it's calculated, but it isn't based on actual transfer fees. We signed him on a free transfer.

20 minutes ago, Bring Your Own Socks said:

The best defensive tactic is to keep the ball as far away from your goal as possible, Defend from the front.

We lose most of our goals from individual errors, in and around the 12 yard area. Three at the back won’t stop that.

Correct, we should be keeping the ball away from our box.

Most goals are being lost from crosses out wide. Those playing in wide positions should be stopping the ball being so easily crossed into the box in first place.

If they are unable to prevent this, having three at CB may tip the odds in our favour.  

38 minutes ago, Skeletar Spider said:

The 'market value' figure given on that website is a valuation. I'm not sure exactly how it's calculated, but it isn't based on actual transfer fees. We signed him on a free transfer.

That might explain Coyle’s zealous defence(s) of Eze then. I have to keep reminding myself that our professional managers (aided by the DoF) are charged with balancing the books as well as a winning team. He won’t be highly valued for the transfer market sitting on the bench.

3 hours ago, an86 said:

I absolutely think there are questions around him, but no more than I think there are questions around the right back position. Kilday’s come onto a game, but we know he has nonsense in his locker as well. Big Charlie as a good player, but not a silver bullet. As I said, if Eze plays McKay on side on Saturday, he’s getting it tight.

Nothing would give me more pleasure than having the big fella prove me wrong though I suppose the difference in critique between him playing McKay on-side and Fox doing so would be that Fox has been out for a fair bit and probably not completely match sharp?  

To be fair on OC, the recruitment so far this year has been sound and the way he has the team playing in general is a pleasure to watch, (when we're not shipping cheap goals).  I do worry about the inability sometimes to convert all the midfield creativity into some sort of meaningful end product, (hark the increasing shouts of 'shoot FFS' the longer the game went on).

Davidson had as solid a game as I've seen in a while on Saturday but agree completely with the RB situation.  

2 hours ago, Velvet Donkey said:

Assuming it can, I tried, but couldn't even log in to my own account. You may have to request access to the saved stream?:

On this occasion, any Queen’s Park member or season ticket holder who cannot attend Saturday’s match can receive a complimentary stream.  To do so, please contact tickets@queensparkfc.co.uk or phone the club office on 0141 632 1275.  To allow arrangements to be set up, requests must be received no later than 4pm on Friday afternoon.

Thanks ---I've tried to watch the game on the supposed 'full game ' stream but there are only a couple of snippits ---oh well !

9 hours ago, SandyCromarty said:

Yes and we're still in the Championship.

Unless you know of some major competition win?

Fact is if we had at least halved that losing streak we would have been playing PL football this season.

Let me know if you want to extend this conversation to the realms of gender identity with respect to your auntie 

On 13/11/2022 at 15:37, Bring Your Own Socks said:

Wasn’t just about individualism though, although I’m obliged to point out the obvious that Fox has been out for 10 weeks. I’d say Eze was given a lot of grace in his early period.

But the stark difference was much more about how everyone around Charlie reacted. Despite no armband, he could be heard coaching his mates all through the game.  Fox/Kilday is a stick on. Until one of them has a run of poor games, it should be just that. And whilst he kept his ground last night we also know Charlie can drag a defence to bits when he has a gallop.

What’ll really rip my knitting is if he goes to a back five just to accommodate Eze. Just getting that one in early.

The old addage is don't change a winning team. With regrds to Fox via Eze, Fox only had 45mins under his belt before Saturday, but he shouted and urged his team on for the full 90mins and was understandably knackered at the end. Check his goal out, Eze would never have out battled and out jumped that defender to score.

6 minutes ago, Dooflick said:

The old addage is don't change a winning team. With regrds to Fox via Eze, Fox only had 45mins under his belt before Saturday, but he shouted and urged his team on for the full 90mins and was understandably knackered at the end. Check his goal out, Eze would never have out battled and out jumped that defender to score.

Eze has two headed goals from corners already this season. I’d say he did a pretty good job out battling the Partick Thistle defender at Firhill.

Just now, Spider Rico said:

Eze has two headed goals from corners already this season. I’d say he did a pretty good job out battling the Partick Thistle defender at Firhill.

These hypothetical Eze scenarios are quite something. We’d definitely have won at Arbroath anyway with an 18 year old kid at a tough venue in his place. He definitely wouldn’t have won a header during a specific piece of play against Inverness. Constructive criticism is fine, but these fantasy situations are clear scapegoat territory. I’m not entirely sure what we even really require a scapegoat for, when we’re sitting 4th in the Championship.

It’s the wild inconsistency that frustrates me with Eze. He’s pulled off some terrific performances only to look incredibly uncomfortable at the back the following week. As a centre back, I’d rather just have a consistent 6/10 each week, knowing more or less what type of performance you’re gonna get from them. Kilday has been exactly that this season and yes he’s had 1 or 2 stinkers himself but he’s considerably more consistent at this stage 

I think there’s fairly justified arguments on both sides when it’s came to people’s  views on Eze’s performances so far. I genuinely don’t think he’s been a scapegoat on here. The only thing I’ve really disagreed with were the claims that his involvement for Arbroath’s equaliser a few weeks back was viewed as being the main cause of their goal

Over the piece, Eze will end up being fine for us but at this stage, you can’t look past Kilday and Fox being the starting pair at the back

Edited by qpfc

Eze looks awkward. Sure he's scored a couple of headers but given the extra height you might well expect that.

The difference (for my money) between Eze and Fox is distribution of the ball. Eze tends to get rid whereas Fox has a more intelligent delivery plus his occasional shimmy up the park is a joy.

If its a case of Eze vs Fox scenario then a fully fit Fox every time imo.

Honestly don’t know how to rate Eze’s time here so far. He’s been brilliant in games away to Thistle, Raith and Arbroath but he’s also at least been shaky in the majority of games he’s played this season. The ability is there but he just hasn’t shown it week in week out. I think Coyle will sooner or later play Fox and Eze to see if they play well together. We’ve only seen them play together against Ayr for 20 mins when Eze only joined and who knows, playing with Fox might help him improve Eze’s performance on the pitch. But for the foreseeable future, it’s going to be Kilday and Fox as our starting CBs

2 hours ago, h_w7864 said:

Honestly don’t know how to rate Eze’s time here so far. He’s been brilliant in games away to Thistle, Raith and Arbroath but he’s also at least been shaky in the majority of games he’s played this season. The ability is there but he just hasn’t shown it week in week out. I think Coyle will sooner or later play Fox and Eze to see if they play well together. We’ve only seen them play together against Ayr for 20 mins when Eze only joined and who knows, playing with Fox might help him improve Eze’s performance on the pitch. But for the foreseeable future, it’s going to be Kilday and Fox as our starting CBs

Aye, there’s no reason to change anything on Saturday, other than maybe Savoury in for McPake. I’m not even arguing that Eze should start, because I don’t think he should, it’s just that folk seem to be dying to jump on him for anything. The good things he’s done don’t count, the bad things he’s done are amplified and we’re even creating fantasy situations in which his presence is a negative! He obviously has horror shows in his locker, but it’s way over the top, as far as I’m concerned. 

39 minutes ago, an86 said:

Aye, there’s no reason to change anything on Saturday, other than maybe Savoury in for McPake. I’m not even arguing that Eze should start, because I don’t think he should, it’s just that folk seem to be dying to jump on him for anything. The good things he’s done don’t count, the bad things he’s done are amplified and we’re even creating fantasy situations in which his presence is a negative! He obviously has horror shows in his locker, but it’s way over the top, as far as I’m concerned. 

Suppose it’s all down to the eye of the believer. Maybe the long-awaited-announcement showbiz pish before he came has added to the disappointment. For me, he’s just an average big-lump centre-half, not an intelligent reader of the game or one who tries to play out of defence. If the international press reports are anywhere near correct and he’s came to Europe to get into the Nigerian national team at the age of 28, shacking up in the Scottish Championship is well off the path. Time for a new agent.

Ultimately though, and not too far in the future, if the comments passed to me which I reported earlier are true, and I believe them to be, Coyle is going to have the Indian sign over his head and that’s a credibility issue much bigger than who’s playing centre-back on a Saturday.

There’s no great mystery, or sinister plot. He’s just not every good, not even for this league.