Livi v the Dons

23 minutes ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

On Gancalves, his inability to trap the ball and hold onto it, and lack of effort running to put pressure on Aberdeen players was frustrating, Martindale was giving him a rollicking for the latter too at one point, funnily enough (iirc) it was against Aberdeen when we were holding onto a lead that Chuky came on and did the same thing, then got subbed back off again (the game Montano got sent off). He still looks very unfit too, breathing out of his arse after only being on the pitch a few minutes.

Anyway, great 3 pts, putting us on 22pts, 9pts more than we were at this stage last season.

The comparison between Goncalves and Chukwuemenka is a trifle unfair; I did get the feeling that Goncalves at least did put in a bit of effort; something that was never evident with Chukwuemenka (and who I see is as effective with Crawley town as he was with us).

I do think however that Goncalves is certainly not suited to the lone striker role. Certainly when Guthrie is fit again he will really struggle to get another chance.  Really this was his big opportunity; I wont say he blew it but he certainly could have made more of an impression.

12 minutes ago, Durnford said:

The comparison between Goncalves and Chukwuemenka is a trifle unfair; I did get the feeling that Goncalves at least did put in a bit of effort; something that was never evident with Chukwuemenka (and who I see is as effective with Crawley town as he was with us).

I do think however that Goncalves is certainly not suited to the lone striker role. Certainly when Guthrie is fit again he will really struggle to get another chance.  Really this was his big opportunity; I wont say he blew it but he certainly could have made more of an impression.

He was doing the same thing Chuk was, walking slowly about the pitch when an Aberdeen player had the ball, then got shouted at to get his arse in gear and go make a challenge. Then he stood waiting on the ball that was played to him, and the Aberdeen player just came on past him and took the pass, Martindale was going apeshit at him.

When Chuk came back into the team after being dropped for a spell he was actually a lot better putting in some effort running about. For me though Goncalves has less of an excuse, it isn't the start of him playing for us, he's been here since the cup group stages and should know what is required of him, i've actually stuck up for him before, giving him the benefit of the doubt, getting fit etc, but it's no better now than when he first played for us, in fact he looks worse.

3 hours ago, Durnford said:

On the wider VAR question I would obviously like to see the matter speeded up and better communication over what is being looked at - the first "possible handball" review; the announcer didn't say what end it was at and, as the game had recently been in both penalty areas, you were holding your breath to see which way the ref turned as he left the screen.

I'm not sure I agree this is a good idea. It may put more pressure on the referee if you have a crowd that are expecting a potential penalty to go against them. 

That said I've not been in a ground yet so I may feel the same as you when I'm there.

Edited by EdinburghLivi

11 minutes ago, EdinburghLivi said:

I'm not sure I agree this is a good idea. It may put more pressure on the referee if you have a crowd that are expecting a potential penalty to go against them. 

That said I've not been in a ground yet so I may feel the same as you when I'm there.

That already happens though; the referee is barracked and booed by supporters if they think there's a chance that the decision will go against them.

Celtic Park last Saturday being a good example; thousands of boos from Celtic supporters when Dundee United were about to be awarded a penalty. Strangely they didn't seem to complain when they were awarded one against us the week before. 

Looks like Hamilton is binned anyway, with Martindale saying he took a chance playing Shamal last night when he was carrying an injury. Konovalov was ready to come on as sub last night when Shamal was down getting treatment too, with Hamilton not even on the bench.

Think Schwake could be our back up keeper next season, he's having a great season on loan to Morton. Might even need him in January if Shamal is still struggling with an injury, bit of a pisser of a position being back up keeper waiting to get his chance, when you can get regular games at a loan club, but we're in need of 2 decent keepers, and Ivan too has been a bit dodgy in goals.

I doubt Schwake will be back, given Martindale is on record saying he wants him to have roughly 100 games at a decent level before moving up

To be honest back-up keeper, like 3rd choice striker, is always going to be a problem area.You're basically looking for a player who is Premiership/Championship quality, happy to be a bench warmer with relatively little game-time and not ask for a big wage, who can also step in and perform immediately 

For what it's worth I didn't think Hamilton performed too badly, given he was up against the best team in the country. He could have cost a few goals, but got away with them. 

14 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

I doubt Schwake will be back, given Martindale is on record saying he wants him to have roughly 100 games at a decent level before moving up

To be honest back-up keeper, like 3rd choice striker, is always going to be a problem area.You're basically looking for a player who is Premiership/Championship quality, happy to be a bench warmer with relatively little game-time and not ask for a big wage, who can also step in and perform immediately 

For what it's worth I didn't think Hamilton performed too badly, given he was up against the best team in the country. He could have cost a few goals, but got away with them. 

Don't forget that clearance that went straight to a Celtic forward; didn't end up being a goal but could have been.

19 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Brian already has 60+ senior appearances in Scotland at the age of 21. By the end of the season he'll be on around 80 appearances which, given we have reserve football back, could be enough that he remains with us next season to compete for the backup role with Hamilton. He's looked pretty good any time I've seen him for Morton and earned rave reviews in his time at "FC Edinburgh City United Rovers Athletic". 

I think it would be daft to bring Schwake back too early - I can see him being our new number 1 when Shamal inevitably goes at the end of next season however.

I think Ivan is a better keeper than Hamilton, but I can see why Hamilton has had game time instead if we're still trying to ship Ivan out. 

To be fair Martindale does mention 80-100 games before he'll challenge here, however this was from before we spent money on Shamal. He has seemed very unfazed by the jump from League 2 to the Championship

https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/local-sport/livingston-keeper-brian-schwake-set-27221375

Ivan seems better than Hamilton, however it makes sense to try and work with players who may stick around longer 

3 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Just total nonsense, maybe if he picked Anderson he'd have had some credibility, he tends to drop to the ground easily, Nouble is the least likely culprit of that though, couldn't get a more honest player. 

Man Of The Match performance from Bruce Anderson last night! At least six or seven better players in the Livi side.

18 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Man Of The Match performance from Bruce Anderson last night! At least six or seven better players in the Livi side.

Seemed a bit of an odd choice to me as well but MOTM is picked by the sponsors and, as they say, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

37 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

I can only think the sponsors had indulged in some pre match bevvy and couldn't think of anyone else to pick. Shamal, Obileye, Fitzwater and Bahamboula were all definitely more impressive last night

1 hour ago, Durnford said:

Seemed a bit of an odd choice to me as well but MOTM is picked by the sponsors and, as they say, he who pays the piper calls the tune.

His family must have been in hospitality. Your number 7, Bahamboula, was sensational in the first 25 minutes or so and had Scales on toast, but he then seemed to disappear. 

25 minutes ago, kingjoey said:

Your number 7, Bahamboula, was sensational in the first 25 minutes or so and had Scales on toast, but he then seemed to disappear. 

Sounds like he had a knock and couldn't quite shake it, hence why he came off. He's looked better and better recently, been a while since we had a proper skillful player and now we've got 2 in Nouble and Bahamboula