Livi v the Dons

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Martindale is the perfect fit for Livi. Supposedly he was pulling the strings when Holt was in charge. Remarkable job. They play some really nice football and are a tough team beat.

It'll be a very sad day when Duk is sold. I wonder how much he's realistically worth? 4 million? Possibly more? He's arguably our most valuable asset.

He's been head of recruitment at Livi since we were in League 1, I think that's where people got the 'pulling the strings' line from. He's very successful in identifying players.

1 hour ago, Bogbrush1903 said:

I only listened to the match on the radio and it sounded very entertaining.

The application of VAR is shambolic at the moment, and it's inevitable that the one team is going to score and it's going to be ruled out because of a positive penalty check at the other end.

However, I suspect that VAR is making the games more exciting at present because of its tendancy to give penalties every 20 minutes at either end.

Can you imagine a Celtic v Rangers game if one team scores only for VAR to rule a penalty for the other team? 

No me either.

Nick Walsh had a nightmare tonight. He is an atrocious ref.

We left ourselves too much to do by our woeful first 25 but Livi were probably fortunate to win. 

Martingale is doing a fine job though. To be ahead of Hearts and Hibs is good going.

Still find it crazy we are 3rd as we are a really naive team at times.

Very frustrating. Defending like amateur twats for half an hour will lose you most games. Especially if you also miss penalties. Livi played pretty good stuff going forward in the first half and were annoyingly tenacious throughout. We could do with a bit more of that. 

Thought all three pens were stonewallers given the stupid rule.

Unsurprised to see the least self aware fans in the league unironically whining about gamesmanship, again. 

We were very lucky to come away with 3 points last night.  The defence was a shambles for pretty much the entire game.  Speaking of shambles, VAR is going to absolutely ruin our game.  The amount of time it took the VAR to decide to check an incident a minute or so after play has resumed was embarrassing.  

Got to say, the treatment of Goncalves has to stop.  I appreciate that he's overweight and not up to Premiership standards, but the negativity in the stands towards him is reminiscent of the John McGlynn era which was absolutely toxic.  The club has done fantastically to create a positive atmosphere around the place in the last few years, abusing our own players is really setting us back.  We already know that Martindale doesn't cave in to fan pressure, so spewing negativity at our own players achieves nothing.

8 hours ago, LIVIFOREVER said:

Yeah because he was trying to stay on his feet when off balance, nae chance Duk would do that, he'd be straight onto the deck like a sack of spuds being dropped. Seriously, Nouble could get 10 times the fouls he gets if he would just go down on the deck, but because of his strength he usually powers on while towing a couple of opposition players. Anybody that has watched him regularly will tell you the same.

He falls to the ground under minimal contact. I'm sorry but that's the reality.

We were very lucky to come away with 3 points last night.  The defence was a shambles for pretty much the entire game.  Speaking of shambles, VAR is going to absolutely ruin our game.  The amount of time it took the VAR to decide to check an incident a minute or so after play has resumed was embarrassing.  
Got to say, the treatment of Goncalves has to stop.  I appreciate that he's overweight and not up to Premiership standards, but the negativity in the stands towards him is reminiscent of the John McGlynn era which was absolutely toxic.  The club has done fantastically to create a positive atmosphere around the place in the last few years, abusing our own players is really setting us back.  We already know that Martindale doesn't cave in to fan pressure, so spewing negativity at our own players achieves nothing.
I don't think Goncalves even makes the bench last night if Guthrie is fit. His introduction was one of necessity rather than desire by the looks of it. Bruce probably doesn't have 90 minutes in him yet and we needed some sort of outball. Goncalves was a gamble that didn't pay off last night. Reminiscent of Chukwuemeka from last season in that he doesn't look suited to our style or Scottish football. Not nice to see the negativity against the guy but he doesn't help himself with his fitness or lack thereof

A very weird game - Livi looked very good for the first 30 minutes, Aberdeen bossed the last 60

It was clear from the first minute how much more aggressive Livi were, with Pittman playing closer to Anderson in a 4231 formation. Our set plays seem to cause a few issues, and McCrorie in particular struggled. Bahamboula was excellent, which took the pressure off Nouble to create, and Anderson links the play up front well. After about 30 minutes Barron, who played very well, started dropping deep to get the ball which caused major problems. It's a bit strange that Aberdeen play 3 at the back, yet nobody seems capable of switching the ball quickly

Second half was all Aberdeen. Holt's earlier booking limited his influence, and the midfield was pretty non-existent. I'd disagree that the defence was a shambles - Obileye, Fitzwater and George were all fantastic. The subs for both teams didn't make much difference, although it's always funny to see a team end a match with 5 strikers, plus Matty Kennedy . One thing I would add is that Aberdeen didn't really create that many clear cut chances given the possession they had in our half, bar the Duk chance and Obileye clearance. Duk was good, however it's clear his reputation precedes him. There was a few fouls that Walsh ignored

In terms of VAR, it caught the 3 missed penalties but it definitely needs sped up. A VAR referee taking 2-3 minutes to check something, only for a referee to take another 1-2 minutes is fairly tedious, especially in games where the play has moved on. I'd also agree that the announcer may benefit from telling us what's being looked at for who.

5 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

In terms of VAR, it caught the 3 missed penalties but it definitely needs sped up. A VAR referee taking 2-3 minutes to check something, only for a referee to take another 1-2 minutes is fairly tedious, especially in games where the play has moved on. I'd also agree that the announcer may benefit from telling us what's being looked at for who.

They maybe don't know either.

1 hour ago, ol1vercloff said:

Goncalves done ok last night, given our formation was basically 5-4---------------1 by the time he came onto the pitch, however I understand fans' frustration when a sub brought on to be an out ball in a defensive situation doesn't sprint about. It's a lazy criticism, granted, however something you just need a player to put pressure on the ball to stop it being fired back. He's nowhere near as bad as Chukwumenka, or as headless in play as Soto. He's just a 3rd choice striker at a mid table Premiership side

6 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

Goncalves done ok last night, given our formation was basically 5-4---------------1 by the time he came onto the pitch, however I understand fans' frustration when a sub brought on to be an out ball in a defensive situation doesn't sprint about. It's a lazy criticism, granted, however something you just need a player to put pressure on the ball to stop it being fired back. He's nowhere near as bad as Chukwumenka, or as headless in play as Soto. He's just a 3rd choice striker at a mid table Premiership side

Always though Goncalves does far better on the right wing rather than in the centre; where he can battle and run rather than being closed down every two seconds. For me we would have been better moving Nouble into the centre and have Goncalves in his position.

TBH he does seem to struggle with acceleration from a standing start but is better once moving but in a straight line.

34 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

A very weird game - Livi looked very good for the first 30 minutes, Aberdeen bossed the last 60

It was clear from the first minute how much more aggressive Livi were, with Pittman playing closer to Anderson in a 4231 formation. Our set plays seem to cause a few issues, and McCrorie in particular struggled. Bahamboula was excellent, which took the pressure off Nouble to create, and Anderson links the play up front well. After about 30 minutes Barron, who played very well, started dropping deep to get the ball which caused major problems. It's a bit strange that Aberdeen play 3 at the back, yet nobody seems capable of switching the ball quickly

Second half was all Aberdeen. Holt's earlier booking limited his influence, and the midfield was pretty non-existent. I'd disagree that the defence was a shambles - Obileye, Fitzwater and George were all fantastic. The subs for both teams didn't make much difference, although it's always funny to see a team end a match with 5 strikers, plus Matty Kennedy . One thing I would add is that Aberdeen didn't really create that many clear cut chances given the possession they had in our half, bar the Duk chance and Obileye clearance. Duk was good, however it's clear his reputation precedes him. There was a few fouls that Walsh ignored

Indeed. Devlin got a needless booking during the period of play prior to our VAR penalty. 

Contrary to the majority I actually though Walsh had an okay game last night.

On the wider VAR question I would obviously like to see the matter speeded up and better communication over what is being looked at - the first "possible handball" review; the announcer didn't say what end it was at and, as the game had recently been in both penalty areas, you were holding your breath to see which way the ref turned as he left the screen.

Also I would like to see the on-field referee viewing VAR as an "assistant" rather than the be all and end all. There have been a number of decisions that could have gone either way over the past couple of weeks yet I've yet to see a referee overrule VAR (I know it rarely actually seems to happen in England but it does happen).

55 minutes ago, The Wrong Car said:

49 minutes ago, Jacksgranda said:

They maybe don't know either.

This is correct, their screen just shows "Penalty Review" or something as vague as that. Would be nice if the VAR/Hawkeye could stick the team on the screen.

Absolute nonsense last night that Walsh stopped an Aberdeen corner being taken so he could check for a penalty; waved them to take the corner, then a couple minutes later he's at the screen to review it again and give it? Get VAR in the bin.

Anyway, great first half hour but my god was the rest of it stressful. As soon as I saw us come out in the second half as deep as we were I knew it was going to be a long 45 (52 by the time VAR had its way I think), massive credit to the defence, specifically George, for getting us the 3 points. I imagine Martindale will be praying he can get through Hearts on Saturday and his injury clears up by the time the break's over; having CBs taking goal kicks makes me far too uncomfortable with how the attacker can sit quite a bit closer to the goal knowing they won't be offside if they win the ball from the goal kick.

Thought Aberdeen looked good, better finishing and they were taking 1 or 3 points last night and the only complaint would be that our sitting back never worked. I'll stick my neck out and say they won't be relegated.

That's the first time I think I've seen Goncalves sprint, and he slipped at the end of it. Hoping he eventually becomes a decent player for us but I won't hold my breath, would rather have Jack Hamilton coming off the bench tbh.

Never seen a good game on plastic.

We were doing a lot of sliced clearances from our box, but for the pressure Aberdeen put us under we defended pretty well. The result makes up for a couple of games we were in control and came away with nothing too, St Mirren away and County home, esp the County one, where they scored with their only shot on target after getting pummeled all game.

On Gancalves, his inability to trap the ball and hold onto it, and lack of effort running to put pressure on Aberdeen players was frustrating, Martindale was giving him a rollicking for the latter too at one point, funnily enough (iirc) it was against Aberdeen when we were holding onto a lead that Chuky came on and did the same thing, then got subbed back off again (the game Montano got sent off). He still looks very unfit too, breathing out of his arse after only being on the pitch a few minutes.

Anyway, great 3 pts, putting us on 22pts, 9pts more than we were at this stage last season.

Another win and another non appearance from Scrutinizor. Sorry Don's fans,this is a guy who habitually comes on our thread every time we lose.Hes been conspicuous by his absence the last couple of weeks. No doubt he'll crawl back out next time we lose.💩👎.