Red Litchies vs Toonsers

Crunch match this weekend as Cove make the relatively short journey down to Gayfield. With so many games still to go it's likely too early to say 3 points either way will be season defining but psychologically a win for either team will be momentous.

Since the reverse fixture at Balmoral, Arbroath have played 6 (won 1, lost 2, drawn 3) for 6 points from a possible 18, scoring 4 goals and conceding 6. Last game was an admirable away point to Caley and by all accounts the away side had the best of the last 15 minutes. As is well versed Arbroath are struggling to score goals with only 9 in 14, the lowest in the league by 5 and joint lowest in the SPFL with Peterhead, but their known strength of being tight at the back has held relatively true with only conceding 18 for joint 4th best in the Championship

Cove come into this match off the back of a strong 2-0 home win against the Spiders. We look potent in attack especially since our change to 4-4-2, have some pace and creativity in midfield and although our defence and defensive shape is improving we still have to prove consistency in this department. Sanders and Johnston have helped. McClleland will be an improvement over Reynolds but the former isn't likely to be back in the side for another 1-2 weeks.

Cove's last 6 since has yielded 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses for 8 points from a possible 18, scoring 11 goals and conceding 11. Our goals for of 22 in 14 is 4th best but our 24 conceded is only good enough for 3rd worst behind Thistle and Accies with 27.

As for the match itself, there is word of Mitch missing this due to an accumulation of yellows. He received his 6th on Saturday just passed so by my understanding of the rules it's 14 days thereafter that the suspension kicks in and therefore he will miss the Morton game on 19th. Fyvie looked sharp when coming off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes and will be staking a claim for a place in the side. After McKenzie's clean sheet he will no doubt get the nod between the sticks, a blessing to all Cove fans.

Will Arbroath have ToB and Bitsindou back for this one? Will bunnet play a striker or even two? Both Shanks and Hilson have certainly shown endeavor in their spurts of game time. Do they both justify a start?

We've only taken 3 points from 7 away games. A stat we very much need to improve on. Suspect it will be much closer than the game between the sides at Balmoral. Arbroath with the home advantage are narrow favourites. 

Screenshot_2022-11-07-11-44-10-96_875a1ca781d4e761f0c51523b2fb9a8d.jpg

Edited by CoveRangers1922

7 hours ago, CoveRangers1922 said:

Crunch match this weekend as Cove make the relatively short journey down to Gayfield. With so many games still to go it's likely too early to say 3 points either way will be season defining but psychologically a win for either team will be momentous.

Since the reverse fixture at Balmoral, Arbroath have played 6 (won 1, lost 2, drawn 3) for 6 points from a possible 18, scoring 4 goals and conceding 6. Last game was an admirable away point to Caley and by all accounts the away side had the best of the last 15 minutes. As is well versed Arbroath are struggling to score goals with only 9 in 14, the lowest in the league by 5 and joint lowest in the SPFL with Peterhead, but their known strength of being tight at the back has held relatively true with only conceding 18 for joint 4th best in the Championship

Cove come into this match off the back of a strong 2-0 home win against the Spiders. We look potent in attack especially since our change to 4-4-2, have some pace and creativity in midfield and although our defence and defensive shape is improving we still have to prove consistency in this department. Sanders and Johnston have helped. McClleland will be an improvement over Reynolds but the former isn't likely to be back in the side for another 1-2 weeks.

Cove's last 6 since has yielded 2 wins, 2 draws and 2 losses for 8 points from a possible 18, scoring 11 goals and conceding 11. Our goals for of 22 in 14 is 4th best but our 24 conceded is only good enough for 3rd worst behind Thistle and Accies with 27.

As for the match itself, there is word of Mitch missing this due to an accumulation of yellows. He received his 6th on Saturday just passed so by my understanding of the rules it's 14 days thereafter that the suspension kicks in and therefore he will miss the Morton game on 19th. Fyvie looked sharp when coming off the bench for the last 15-20 minutes and will be staking a claim for a place in the side. After McKenzie's clean sheet he will no doubt get the nod between the sticks, a blessing to all Cove fans.

Will Arbroath have ToB and Bitsindou back for this one? Will bunnet play a striker or even two? Both Shanks and Hilson have certainly shown endeavor in their spurts of game time. Do they both justify a start?

We've only taken 3 points from 7 away games. A stat we very much need to improve on. Suspect it will be much closer than the game between the sides at Balmoral. Arbroath with the home advantage are narrow favourites. 

Screenshot_2022-11-07-11-44-10-96_875a1ca781d4e761f0c51523b2fb9a8d.jpg

Think this’ll be another close game and would like to see us start Shanks again.

Not really that surprised at the discrepancy between Cove’s home and away form. The pitch at Balmoral, while a pretty decent artificial surface, is a very different proposition to grass. The first game v us, Cove used the pitch’s properties to their advantage playing a wide, fast and direct game, just like how they played v QP.

I’ve been impressed by this way of playing when I’ve seen it but obviously that style doesn’t necessarily work on a narrower, slower, bumpier grass pitch.

Assuming its the same squad…
Gaston
Oakley little hammy hancock
Gold jacobs
Tait allan linn
Shanks
Im not convinced mckenna is fully fit, he was poor on saturday so would sit him out. Good to have hilson back as an option and fosu has looked better in the last couple of games he’s come on. Massive game we cant afford to loose if we’re going to stay in touch with the pack.

Shanks deserves another start after Saturday.

We seriously miss Scott Stewart but feel this week will come just a bit soon for him. 

Also add that our performance at Balmoral was probably the worst Iv seen this season so we can only improve from that. Megginson being out would be great for us 

Edited by lichtie23

11 minutes ago, lichtie23 said:

What’s Cove’s travelling support like? Any chance we can put them in the stand and give the home support all the terracing? 

I would imagine they’ll bring 80-100 max. Dons are also at home on Saturday evening.

Would like to see it as they could easily be accommodated in the stand. We did it last season v Hamilton.

On 07/11/2022 at 19:24, Tattie36 said:

Think this’ll be another close game and would like to see us start Shanks again.

Not really that surprised at the discrepancy between Cove’s home and away form. The pitch at Balmoral, while a pretty decent artificial surface, is a very different proposition to grass. The first game v us, Cove used the pitch’s properties to their advantage playing a wide, fast and direct game, just like how they played v QP.

I’ve been impressed by this way of playing when I’ve seen it but obviously that style doesn’t necessarily work on a narrower, slower, bumpier grass pitch.

Definitely agree that it wil be harder to emulate the style of play we prefer; quick, high and wide, at Gayfield. At the least weather is looking favourable for this time of the year.

Our start of season form and first XI is quite different to now so I expect our away form to improve but that's easy to say and only positive results will enforce that statement.

I feel Arbroath's low was at Balmoral and there have been better performances since. Should make for a interesting and hopefully competitive game.

Courier have some pre-game thoughts. https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/sport/football/3867739/arbroath-cove-rangers-season-defining-stats/?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social

Not sure I agree with first goal wins it this time around although stats suggest this is often the case. Didn't realise we have the best shots to goals ratio.

8 hours ago, Tattie36 said:

I would imagine they’ll bring 80-100 max. Dons are also at home on Saturday evening.

Would like to see it as they could easily be accommodated in the stand. We did it last season v Hamilton.

Think we took 85 to Stark's Park a few weeks back. I'd say between 100-150 on Saturday. We're very early days in truely trying to grow our fan base. Getting more fans to come to Balmoral will be the starting focus. Unfortunately trying to get new fans with a Dons allegiance/tinge to come to away games is tough. Trying to find people new to football in the city or shire with no association or favouritism to AFC is near on impossible.

Edited by CoveRangers1922

32 minutes ago, timlichtie said:

Pleasantly surprised to see Scott Bitsindou and ToB both back in the squad. That should beef up the centre of the team.

Yes, but I never want to see Bitsindou at CH, ever again

From the podcast and some talk here, too much stress (,both useages) on Arbroath getting a positive result.  It makes me nervous let alone the players.  Long way to go  etc  every game important etc.  I would merely suggest we do our best.

Edited by farflung lichtie