Longest losing run

ScottR96

Clyde have lost 11 league matches in a row which is apparently our worst run since the 70s. It got me wondering who holds the record for the most consecutive losses? I immediately thought Brechin City, who in 2017/18 went an entire season without recording a win - but according to Wikipedia their longest losing run that season was 16 matches. Clyde’s next 3 league fixtures are against Dunfermline (A), Falkirk (H), and Edinburgh (H) who currently occupy the top 3 spots followed by Peterhead (A) where we generally lose, then Alloa (H) so I reckon there’s a good chance we’ll at least match Brechin’s run. 

Are there any examples of teams beating Brechin’s losing streak? East Stirlingshire in the early 2000s perhaps? 

2 hours ago, ScottR96 said:

Clyde have lost 11 league matches in a row which is apparently our worst run since the 70s. It got me wondering who holds the record for the most consecutive losses? I immediately thought Brechin City, who in 2017/18 went an entire season without recording a win - but according to Wikipedia their longest losing run that season was 16 matches. Clyde’s next 3 league fixtures are against Dunfermline (A), Falkirk (H), and Edinburgh (H) who currently occupy the top 3 spots followed by Peterhead (A) where we generally lose, then Alloa (H) so I reckon there’s a good chance we’ll at least match Brechin’s run. 

Are there any examples of teams beating Brechin’s losing streak? East Stirlingshire in the early 2000s perhaps? 

The longest losing streak was indeed set by the Shire in the early 2000s - they lost 24 league games in row in the 2003/04 season. They beat Elgin at home in October 2003, then didn't win again until the final day of the season in May 2004, also at home to Elgin. Those were their only two wins all season.

Next up was Third Lanark, who lost 23 in a row between October 1964 and September 1965. They lost their last 21 games of the 1964/65 top flight season and then the first two in the 1965/66 second tier.

The only other side to lose over 20 league games in a row was Brechin City, in 1961/62 - they lost 22 consecutive matches between October 1961 and April 1962

Clyde's club record for consecutive league defeats is 18, set between November 1898 and November 1899, which was slightly more than a year of only ever losing league games.

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

The longest losing streak was indeed set by the Shire in the early 2000s - they lost 24 league games in row in the 2003/04 season. They beat Elgin at home in October 2003, then didn't win again until the final day of the season in May 2004, also at home to Elgin. Those were their only two wins all season.

I believe the bookies had more than a passing interest in the second result.