Rangers' Next Permanent Manager Thread - 2022/2023 Edition

Who will be Rangers next permanent manager?  

177 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

19 minutes ago, gannonball said:

What? :lol: Of course it does if you are given a budget but sell some of your assets then of course that is factored Both logically and financially ffs. I’m out :lol:

Read what I'm actually typing.

The more you spend on a player, the better they are likely to be. Do you agree?

Regardless if Celtic bring in more money when selling players, they still spend more on the players they bring in than Rangers do. Meaning their squad will always be filled with players that cost more than Rangers players do. I don't know how you can dispute that?

Edited by AJF

14 minutes ago, VictorOnopko said:

I mean, he's recently been sacked and knows the Scottish league inside out.   All Rangers would need to do would be to redesign their badge to include a shamrock.  It would also be a gesture of peace and bring an end to sectarianism IMO.

image.png.ec82bdc8f7a14740d717faa7a1e573f6.png

I remember some newspaper article genuinely talking Lennon up as a candidate for the Sevco job when Caixinha was sacked.

4 hours ago, ahemps said:

3 hours ago, AJF said:

I did wonder this myself. The source is probably a Celtic blog account he is using.

No nothing Celtic minded and from a simple google search of a site that pulls data across many sports.  We have took a lot of big earners off our wage bill in that time such as Scott Brown, Edouard etc etc which the above Swiss Ramble snapshot being 2-3 seasons out of date doesn’t capture.

What they were suggesting was without bonuses Rangers spent circa 24 million a year on basic player salaries and Celtic 20 million. Bonuses will obviously change that depending on their relative successes may see the numbers tilt more in favour of Celtic being the more successful last season? However I imagine Rangers may paid out some lucrative Euro bonuses too

I don’t know how accurate it is tbf however it’s the 1st one that comes up so I imagine it’s hit quite regularly. I suppose you can look for yourself to determine that but I did say reported I’m not passing it off as absolute fact and just suggesting if that is the case Rangers model isn’t working

Edited by Jinky67

2 hours ago, AJF said:

No, we were discussing player wages and then transfer outlay. How much you bring in for player sales does not negate the amount spent on players coming in.

The more you spend on a player (wages and transfer fee), the better they are likely to be. I don’t think that can be debated at all?

And the basic fact is Celtic spend more on their players than Rangers do.

Morelos earns more than both Kyogo and GG combined apparently, Is that an indicator of him being the better player currently?

Could probably say the same about Kent, I think he cost more and gets paid more than any Celtic winger outwith Forrest but let’s be honest he isn’t close to their level or numbers.

Transfer fee is impacted by things such as length of contract outstanding also so there are a shitload of moving parts here that make it impossible to apply a single piece of logic but the fact is like us 2 seasons ago are paying a shit load of wages to players who aren’t justifying it

Edited by Jinky67

11 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

No nothing Celtic minded and from a simple google search of a site that pulls data across many sports.  We have took a lot of big earners off our wage bill in that time such as Scott Brown, Edouard etc etc which the above Swiss Ramble snapshot being 2-3 seasons out of date doesn’t capture.

What they were suggesting was without bonuses Rangers spent circa 24 million a year on basic player salaries and Celtic 20 million. Bonuses will obviously change that depending on their relative successes may see the numbers tilt more in favour of Celtic being the more successful last season? However I imagine Rangers may paid out some lucrative Euro bonuses too

I don’t know how accurate it is tbf however it’s the 1st one that comes up so I imagine it’s hit quite regularly. I suppose you can look for yourself to determine that but I did say reported I’m not passing it off as absolute fact and just suggesting if that is the case Rangers model isn’t working

There is a more recent set of figures that the Swiss Ramble has studied than the one's noted previously. That was from 2021 showing there is still a £4m gap from Celtic to Rangers in terms of wages. We will always be working historically given the amount of time companies are offered to submit their year end accounts.

9 minutes ago, AJF said:

There is a more recent set of figures that the Swiss Ramble has studied than the one's noted previously. That was from 2021 showing there is still a £4m gap from Celtic to Rangers in terms of wages. We will always be working historically given the amount of time companies are offered to submit their year end accounts.

2021 accounts would be for the season Rangers won the league 20/21 which won’t factor in a few things? 

Rangers players wage increases for winning the league, i imagine many of the bigger earners have that clause and that Celtic have gotten rid of many big earners such as Edouard, Ajer, Biton, Rogic, Christie, Julien who were all on a tidy wedge.

So aye I wouldn’t be that surprised if there is a swing so I guess we will see December 23 🤷‍♂️

Edited by Jinky67

2 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Morelos earns more than both Kyogo and GG combined. Is that an indicator of him being the better player currently?

Could probably say the same about Kent, I think he cost more and gets paid more than any Celtic winger outwith Forrest but let’s be honest he isn’t close to their level or numbers.

Transfer fee is impacted by things such as length of contract outstanding also.

There are a shitload of moving parts here that make it impossible to apply a single piece of logic but the fact is like us 2 seasons ago are paying a shit load of wages to players who aren’t justifying it

If a team spends more on players in both wages and transfer outlay, it is safe to assume the calibre of player they can attract is higher. I don't know how else I can put that across as it is just simple logic I'd imagine.

Your question regarding Morelos is a bit of a false equivalence. Morelos at his peak when he signed his last contract was a better player than either Kyogo or GG are now. Hence why he is currently paid more than them. They may go on to improve beyond that level, and their contracts will no doubt reflect that. Morelos has also dropped below his level, but you can't just reduce a players salary to reflect their form.

Again though, I am unsure how anyone can argue against the fact that paying more money on transfer fees and wages means 9 times out of 10 you are getting a better player. In the last 2 seasons Celtic have spent 50 million euros on incoming transfers in comparison to Rangers' 18 million euros. They will be paying more than us in wages as well I'd imagine so it's no surprise a Rangers squad that is stale and desperately needed investment has fallen behind.

(figures taken from Transfermarkt for both teams)

18 minutes ago, AJF said:

If a team spends more on players in both wages and transfer outlay, it is safe to assume the calibre of player they can attract is higher. I don't know how else I can put that across as it is just simple logic I'd imagine.

Your question regarding Morelos is a bit of a false equivalence. Morelos at his peak when he signed his last contract was a better player than either Kyogo or GG are now. Hence why he is currently paid more than them. They may go on to improve beyond that level, and their contracts will no doubt reflect that. Morelos has also dropped below his level, but you can't just reduce a players salary to reflect their form.

Again though, I am unsure how anyone can argue against the fact that paying more money on transfer fees and wages means 9 times out of 10 you are getting a better player. In the last 2 seasons Celtic have spent 50 million euros on incoming transfers in comparison to Rangers' 18 million euros. They will be paying more than us in wages as well I'd imagine so it's no surprise a Rangers squad that is stale and desperately needed investment has fallen behind.

(figures taken from Transfermarkt for both teams)

Ajeti and Barkas reasonable argument? 

4 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

Ajeti and Barkas reasonable argument? 

I'm not sure what your argument is here. Are you implying that spending more money on wages and transfer fees doesn't tend to get you better players the majority of the time?

22 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I remember reading that Bielsa isn't swayed by cash. Its more do to with the city/culture/project. I'm not sure if any of them would be enough to attract them. If anyone is made for the Glasgow goldfish bowl it's him, sure there was a story about ultras showing up to his front door and he had a grenade in his hand 😂.

Would absolutely hate it if he ended up at Ibrox. The style of football would shred this league apart. Even Celtic. 

Why would he want to enter the cesspit culture at that club? 

39 minutes ago, AJF said:

I'm not sure what your argument is here. Are you implying that spending more money on wages and transfer fees doesn't tend to get you better players the majority of the time?

For the last few seasons we have been told by the Rangers fans on here that to a man Rangers players are better than ours yet you have spent so much less.

Now that doesn’t seem to be the case when the wheels have fallen off.

48 minutes ago, Jinky67 said:

For the last few seasons we have been told by the Rangers fans on here that to a man Rangers players are better than ours yet you have spent so much less.

Now that doesn’t seem to be the case when the wheels have fallen off.

"The last few seasons" equating to the season we won the league?

Celtic have since spent €32m more than us...

2 hours ago, Rugbypark said:

Why would he want to enter the cesspit culture at that club? 

No chance he would tbh. My original point was though, he isn't motivated by money.

The managerial positions should be attractive to a lot of managers tbh. Near enough a 50% chance of winning the league, facing teams with a tiny fraction of your budget most weeks, European football, 50k/60k home fans every other week, stepping stone into the English Premiership. 

There's no excuse why the likes of Lennon, Gerrard, GVB can't produce exciting attacking football on a weekly basis. Should be thumping teams.

Rangers and Celtic should only be losing to each other. 

2 hours ago, AJF said:

"The last few seasons" equating to the season we won the league?

Celtic have since spent €32m more than us...

No last season and pre season too, probably due to the run in Europe where we have been told many times by you lot that despite our higher spending our players to a man aren’t as good as what Rangers have or recruited but now since the wheels have come off it’s just because we spend more? 

Mind how you were all giving it the Ben Davies said no to Celtic to come to Rangers and how CCV isn’t in his class etc? The higher fee didn’t matter as you had the better player? The season you won the league the net spend was a thing you were proud but now it’s the thing that holds you back?

I mocked your financial position last season and that those bankrolling Rangers via soft loans would at the first opportunity look to get that back and you would find yourself further behind Celtic. You found that very funny then, it seems to be less funny to you today now that it seems you can’t even afford to sack your manager .