Elgin City vs Dumbarton

Ooft. First half was probably edged by Elgin outside of the goal. Hester had a great chance early on which was probably our only real chance in the game to make it 1-0 and he only managed a weak attempt. McHardy was brought down in the box and probably should have been given a penalty, Draper was definitely brought down in the box not long after and somehow managed to get booked for simulation. Referee totally fucking shat it.

Second half was an embarrassment and Dumbarton were fully deserving of the win. I'd prefer to just forget about that one.

5 minutes ago, WeAreElgin said:

Ooft. First half was probably edged by Elgin outside of the goal. Hester had a great chance early on which was probably our only real chance in the game to make it 1-0 and he only managed a weak attempt. McHardy was brought down in the box and probably should have been given a penalty, Draper was definitely brought down in the box not long after and somehow managed to get booked for simulation. Referee totally fucking shat it.

Second half was an embarrassment and Dumbarton were fully deserving of the win. I'd prefer to just forget about that one.

What he said. The only bright spot was a 700+ crowd, but I don't think they'll all be back.

Dumbarton exposed the limitations of this Elgin side. They sat in deep even early on and like the Forfar game Elgin had no idea how to break down their defence. Dumbarton were impressive attacking with pace on the counterattack and our defenders struggled. Hopefully Nicholson will be back for the next game  as our left back struggled today. Elgin are better away from home on the counter attack. Will be surprised if Dumbarton do not win the league. Pity about the performance given the bigger crowd

1 minute ago, elginer said:

Dumbarton exposed the limitations of this Elgin side. They sat in deep even early on and like the Forfar game Elgin had no idea how to break down their defence. Dumbarton were impressive attacking with pace on the counterattack and our defenders struggled. Hopefully Nicholson will be back for the next game  as our left back struggled today. Elgin are better away from home on the counter attack. Will be surprised if Dumbarton do not win the league. Pity about the performance given the bigger crowd

That's a very Aberdeenesque trait.

I thought we were absolutely excellent today. In the first-half it was similar to most other games - we were clinical when the chance came our way and defended well - restricting Elgin (and Hester especially) to only one or two clearcut chances. But certainly didn't dominate.

From the moment Gregg Wylde doubled the lead in the second-half we saw a completely different side to this squad. We played with a real style and flair; Orsi and Div Wilson especially, and scored two really terrific goals.

It was the most I've enjoyed an away game in a very long time. Obviously it helped that it was at a terrific ground and a result that we didn't see coming. But we genuinely looked like scoring every time we crossed the half-way line, and (second-half especially) didn't really look under too much threat. The players looked like they were enjoying it as much as the fans too.

Div Wilson caught my eye in the second-half. He's such an odd player, but when he's on form he's really got a bit of magic about him. He was spreading some sensational balls across the park, helped break up play and generally looked a class act.

Aron Lynas' goal was an absolute screamer. And I'm so pleased for him. He's such a likable player; all heart, bravery and effort. But he's proving to be quite a threat going forward with the ball at his feet too. He did a great job at dealing with Elgin's diagonals to Darryl McHardy tactic - especially given the height difference in the players, and I cannot wait to see his goal again. It was a gorgeous hit.

Gregg Wylde continued his decent form, his goal was well taken too - and I thought Ross MacLean led the line well. I'm glad to see him off the mark in the league too, he strikes me as a confidence player and that should give him a real boost.

It goes without saying that we were defensively solid. Carsy, Bucky and Brett Long all turned in their trademark 8/10 performances, whilst Martin McNiff used all his experience to make sure Elgin didn't get too much of a sniff down the left.

It was good to see Ryan Wallace off the bench and getting the goal his performances since that daft red card against Albion Rovers have deserved. It was a superb clinical finish, right into the bottom corner. The sort of finish you don't see often from a Sons player.

All that being said, I thought one player stood out as being the best on the park. Kalvin Orsi. Since Cumnock he's looked a totally different player, and today he was absolutely superb. It was a great run for the first goal, and the sort of thing you wouldn't have seen from him last season, and he never stopped being a threat. He was taking players on and beating them for fun, he whipped in some outstanding deliveries - and he must've covered more ground than anyone else on the park. If he'd scored rather than duff up a good chance from a counter-attack in the first-half I genuinely think it would've been a 10/10 performance. 

I really couldn't fault a single person today though. The players were excellent, the coaching staff got their tactics spot on and there was a cracking away following. It was one of those days that keeps you hooked as a fan.

As for Elgin? Well they could've had a penalty in the first-half, and Hester tried to be too cute at beating Long early on. When he really should've just stuck it away. But I thought they looked really low on ideas, and seemed to chuck it as soon as we went 2-0 to the good. If they score first then it's maybe a different game, but they didn't look anywhere near as good as they did in August.

Fair play to their fan who came past our support and said we were the best side in the league. I don't know if I believe him or not...but the table doesn't lie I suppose. And a big GIRUY to the old boy rambling about 13 men (can only assume one of the linesmen was alright) and 'central belt bias' as he went away home :lol:

I can't make the game in April, but I'm already looking forward to my next trip to Borough Briggs. It's taken a long time for me to tick it off, but what a terrific wee ground. I know I'm late to the party here, but it's absolutely superb. With Brechin out the SPFL it's probably my favourite in the 42 now...Although the result may have influenced that.

Better team won. Score line maybe flatters a little but not the result! We just look really short of an attacking threat at home! Should have taken the lead but after that we didn’t create to much. Thought we probably should have had penalty but it was not for the Draper incident. Blatant dive - although not quite as bad as Sons no. 11 in the second half (he made a miraculous recovery after not getting the foul!). Really poor defending for 3 of the goals but an excellent strike for the 3rd goal! Just a really poor performance all round from us and we got what we deserved from the game! Good vocal away support so fair play to those that travelled up!

Results like this and Dumbarton once again clear on top of the league makes that 6-0 drubbing a few weeks back all the more bizarre. Wrong place, wrong time I assume in that case as it's felt like their league to win so far this season, though I'm sure Sons fans would be happy to insist otherwise.

6 hours ago, WeAreElgin said:

Draper was definitely a dive and fully deserved booking.
If Dingwall had scored it might have been a different game. It might have encouraged Dumbarton to be a bit more expansive and opened up the game a bit, however Dumbarton sat in, defended well and hit us on the break and eventually dominated the game. Elgin as with Forfar a couple of weeks ago, cannot break down a team who sit in and the only tactic seems to be a few passes then launch it to Mchardy to knock down to Hester. The other go too is launch it over the top for Hester but not an option against a deep lying defence. We had nothing out wide to get behind their defence. As I have stated before our main concern is avoiding the relegation play off. Good crowd, good atmosphere, que Elgin not turning up.

6 hours ago, RossBFaeDundee said:

Results like this and Dumbarton once again clear on top of the league makes that 6-0 drubbing a few weeks back all the more bizarre. Wrong place, wrong time I assume in that case as it's felt like their league to win so far this season, though I'm sure Sons fans would be happy to insist otherwise.

Faz got the tactics wrong at Stirling, he played with 2 strikers and two high wingers and we got ripped apart. He admitted it himself after the game. When we've played our usual system we've been very solid. Still a long way to go, we don't have a lot of depth in the squad.

11 hours ago, Briggsy's Ghost said:

Not biased against us!!!! Did you miss that bit.? It means that I don’t think the referee was biased against Elgin! He was was still rubbish though - as is the case most weeks now! How low do we have to set the bar on here!?

In your opinion..........

Here's an idea, go take a referees course and show everyone how it's done. There is a chronic shortage in the game (mainly due to clowns like yourself who criticise without any actual knowledge!) so they would be delighted to have another 'expert' on the books.