Türkiye Vs Scotland friendly, 16th November

Gordopolis

Just now, BingMcCrosby said:

Its worrying to wonder just how bad we have to play to ditch this formation for good.

The run of recent results with the 5 as opposed to the 4 is staggering. Hopefully Steve Clarke will figure it out and get back on track.

I'm blaming you for this one. I take it you had your phone switched off today.

38 minutes ago, Jacky1990 said:

Learnt next to nothing about any of our players.

Didnt try anything new.

Wont have been much training time to implement ideas with future qualifiers in mind.

And we played shite for the majority.

What a giant waste of everyones time.

They cannot play three at the back.

Not Ramsay's, or Super's , time

Edited by Ewan8472

I think Ramsay was the 7th different player we've used at RB/RWB since the start of last season.
You've made me think and it might actually be 8:

Robertson, Fraser, Patterson, O'Donnell, McGinn, Hickey, Ralston, Ramsay
Tough watch to be fair most of the game. A good experience for the team but some of the performances were pretty dire. It reminded me a little of the Ukraine game in June but also a bit like the 2-2 friendly draw away in Austria. Glad we at least got a goal and made more of a fight of it at the end. Those kind of away games are hard and the positive for me is that we kept at it.
Purely based on the second half, it was better than Austria imo. We were awful that night.

Tonight was pretty shite in the first half then decent in the second. They looked like a side that hadn't spent much time on the training pitch, although they didn't have much time for Ukraine in September and that was class so I dunno. Turkey seemed to manipulate the shape quite well and I don't think anyone in the back five was good in the first half which might partially be due to Clarke.

I did say that I thought we'd play a half in each shape, but I didn't expect Robertson to play in the Christie role. He kinda works there, though, as his dribbling and pressing and all-around linking has improved so much over the years. We still looked a bit sloppy and some players' positioning wasn't on, but again there wasn't much time with the players. Thought Gilmour looked better than he has done recently on the ball, despite still being weak as piss, and... well, I don't really have anything else to say. Bye bye friendlies.

14 minutes ago, BingMcCrosby said:

Its worrying to wonder just how bad we have to play to ditch this formation for good.

The run of recent results with the 5 as opposed to the 4 is staggering. Hopefully Steve Clarke will figure it out and get back on track.

Brilliant post.

He went to a back four in the second half ( iirc confirmed by Super JMcG )

I am not sure what happened with AR and KT

Played ok at times in the 2nd half. A brilliant goal from McGinn. Amazing he’s on the same goals as McFadden. He’ll probably get to 24/25 and be our third top scorer ever. Superb

Did not see the point in Gordon playing at all, surely try one of the others or even a half each. Unsure on Brown also, not scored a goal in 3 months for stoke. Tierney needs games , looked a bit rusty which is understandable. 

A brilliant goal from McGinn. Amazing he’s on the same goals as McFadden. He’ll probably get to 24/25 and be our third top scorer ever. Superb

Good shout, I can see the same. 3 goals per year for the next 3/4 years before an inevitable drop off should see him get to around that mark.

He won't be 3rd top scorer though... He'll be 5th behind Doak and Rory Wilson [emoji6]

4 hours ago, accies1874 said:

I did say that I thought we'd play a half in each shape, but I didn't expect Robertson to play in the Christie role. He kinda works there, though, as his dribbling and pressing and all-around linking has improved so much over the years. We still looked a bit sloppy and some players' positioning wasn't on, but again there wasn't much time with the players. Thought Gilmour looked better than he has done recently on the ball, despite still being weak as piss, and... well, I don't really have anything else to say. Bye bye friendlies.

Yeah you did say that - spot on. I also thought Robbo was pretty good even when he played more advanced in the 2nd half and I'd agree with you on BG's performance which I thought maybe went under the radar in the first half where I thought he played quite well.

Turkey is a football mad nation 16x the size of Scotland, and although they have underperformed for decades, no big surprise that they can outplay us at home in a friendly.

Good experience for the team against tough opponents, and an excellent goal for McGinn.

Overall, a positive experience, but one that won't define us either way going forward.

2 hours ago, Satoshi said:

Turkey is a football mad nation 16x the size of Scotland, and although they have underperformed for decades, no big surprise that they can outplay us at home in a friendly.

Good experience for the team against tough opponents, and an excellent goal for McGinn.

Overall, a positive experience, but one that won't define us either way going forward.

MV5BZjZiMGJkMTgtYzUzZi00YTM1LTg3NmEtMGQ1OTUyNDk1MmQ4XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyMzM4MjM0Nzg@._V1_.jpg

Not really much to take from that. Was all a bit meh. 

Positives- Great gaol from Mcginn/Debut for Ramsay/Ferguson looked busy.

Negatives-I feel if we are to regularly start qualifying/competing at tournaments we really need to find a goalie and 2 centre backs from somewhere. Hendry/Hanley/mckenna are all championship level at best and we will keep getting found out against top teams.

Saying that, they are all we have at this moment in time and Clarke can't just magic players out of thin air. Maybe santa will deliver a couple for us!

Also, last night shows how good a player Mcgregor is for us. Makes us tick!

14 hours ago, accies1874 said:

You've made me think and it might actually be 8:

Robertson, Fraser, Patterson, O'Donnell, McGinn, Hickey, Ralston, RamsayPurely based on the second half, it was better than Austria imo. We were awful that night.

Tonight was pretty shite in the first half then decent in the second. They looked like a side that hadn't spent much time on the training pitch, although they didn't have much time for Ukraine in September and that was class so I dunno. Turkey seemed to manipulate the shape quite well and I don't think anyone in the back five was good in the first half which might partially be due to Clarke.

I've been saying for a fair while that I'd like to see Robertson ahead of Tierney. Hes an excellent player who I reckon could do it well.

It would allow up to play our best formation and get our best players on the pitch.

Theres always going to be one guy out of position, I've always thought Robertson would be the better of the 2 to move forward. Hes probably the best crosser in the squad.

On 16/11/2022 at 20:56, Smokerson said:

Played ok at times in the 2nd half. A brilliant goal from McGinn. Amazing he’s on the same goals as McFadden. He’ll probably get to 24/25 and be our third top scorer ever. Superb

Did not see the point in Gordon playing at all, surely try one of the others or even a half each. Unsure on Brown also, not scored a goal in 3 months for stoke. Tierney needs games , looked a bit rusty which is understandable. 

It seems odd that there is no other keeper in the squad that has had any ‘minutes’.

On 17/11/2022 at 08:36, KirkieRR said:

I'm in the 'What was the point of that?' camp.

Its good to test ourselves against different nations, in different locations. Clarke mentioned the impact of the long flight on the players. We've got a similar distance trip next year to Tbilisi, so defo learnings from that. 
The crowd was fairly hostile, and the conditions pretty dreadful. It rained most of the day in Diyarbakir and the pitch wasnt particularly great. 
So lots of things can be taken from it. 

But more than anything else, we were required by UEFA to play a match. and after a few of the other as pre world cup opponents fell through, there weren't many teams left available to play.