Greenock Morton ⚪️🔵 vs Patrick Thistle 🔴🟡

2 minutes ago, virginton said:

What brand of paint-stripper has McCall been tanning in order to describe the first half as an even game? 

Just a proportional dialling back of his usual 'should've scored 3/4/5/6 goals before half time, they couldn't live with Tiff and Banzo', etc

If total dung teams like Hamilton could stop making him look like Didier Drogba by not marking him every other week then that'd be great. Needless to say that Sir Efe kept him under wraps last weekend. 
We absolutely have to strengthen our attacking options and midfield depth to sustain this run though. We are already capable of making a run at the play-offs, but there's not much at all beneath the starting eleven. The January window will be crucial, but Sir Douglas' record of strengthening is impeccable. 

Thank f**k opposition defenders just decide to stay away from Dipo and that’s the only reason he scores. Was beginning to worry we might actually lose him at some point but if that’s the case I can’t see why anyone would be interested.

Just now, D'Jaffo said:

Thank f**k opposition defenders just decide to stay away from Dipo and that’s the only reason he scores. Was beginning to worry we might actually lose him at some point but if that’s the case I can’t see why anyone would be interested.

Well that's literally what Hamilton did for your second goal last night - in fact, they did it for all four of your attacking players. We cannot account for that level of amateur-hour incompetence from other sides.

That they provided 5 goals to us and made Muirhead look like Zlatan just last month is of course unconnected.

Our fixtures to complete the first half set are now Cove and Arbroath away and Queens' Park at home. Three very tricky fixtures if we were playing poorly, but on the basis of the past few weeks performances, we should realistically be targeting 7 points from them. 

If we are getting above 30 points from 18 games then it's an exceptional return, not least given that we only had 8 from the first 8 games. 

We were not at our best today but the fight in this team (compared to the last couple of seasons) is unreal. Thought Partick were quicker off the blocks but, like last week, scoring saw us move up a gear and control the rest of the half. Jai was frustrating in that he put in a shift but his decision making was poor. Ironic that on the one occasion he didn’t foul the defender, he got him sent off. 
The equaliser was poorly defended and they squandered a great chance on the break. Just before we took the lead I had started to wonder if a point wouldn’t be a bad result. Some finish by Blues and great to see the emotion in a few of the players, punching the air on hearing the full time whistle.

Gotta love Dougie.

I think that we were near our best today. After the opener we could easily have gone 3-0 up by half time just like the Inverness match - in which case there wouldn't be such a discussion. The game should have been dead and buried.

Quitongo's miss, the loss of focus at the equalising goal and the breakaway that Partick squandered were the only three obvious errors in the game from the entire team today. Under a different official and run of events, we would have been rewarded with a far more comfortable scoreline. 

Partick caused us some genuine problems - particularly from set pieces - but our overall level of performance was very good IMO. Ambrose wanting to play the ball out (alongside Gillespie's role) gives us an element of control over possession that we haven't had before. That's far more valuable overall than the inevitable Efe error that will ship a goal or two. 

Edited by vikingTON

Bit trickier than I would’ve liked, but I’d say we were well worth the win in the end. As someone above has said, Partick still knock the ball about well, there’s just no confidence/little quality in that team at the minute. 

Playoffs are absolutely achievable this season, we just need a bit if depth. We’re never going to carry a massive squad, but a couple of injuries and we’re really struggling - especially up top.

We could sign Darren Mackie at this point and I’d be relatively confident of Imrie still getting a tune out of him.

Missed yesterday, was down at City v Brentford for a 40th so just watched highlights. 

It looks like a very good performance and on another day, we could have scored 4/5. Muirhead, Jai, McGrattan and Crawford all with really good chances, McGrattan and Jai need to be doing better.

Not a pen on Jai for me but looks like Crawford was clipped.

Shame Jai was brought down at end, would have been icing on cake if he went through and scored.

Thistle didn't really threaten at all unless Morton have missed some chances.  

Good to see a decent home crowd at Cappielow supported by Dalrada again. Numbers up around 600 in space of a  few weeks, really encouraging. Will have been awhile since we last had 2k+ home fans. Guessing it could have been The Return of the Snake 4 years ago, Oct 18 or even Jan 18 v St Mirren. Hopefully we can stay around that moving forward.

Dougie Imrie man!

I enjoyed the match even though I was quite nervy about the outcome, especially after Thistle scored then they were through on goal 3 v 1, and unbelievably the player with the ball (Lawless?) decided to try to bend it round the Morton defender from around 25 yards, and managed to hit the defender with the ball. I had two cousins visiting for the game, one used to live in Garscube Road looking into Firhill. We all agreed Thistle were the better passing team but Morton had more fight and more pressure/chances on goal. Ambrose is a class above and is developing a great partnership with Baird, who just clears his lines and lets Efe do the bollwork!