Clyde vs Airdrieonians

43 minutes ago, Otis Blue said:

That's a pretty damning photo tbf.  The lino/assistant appears to be in the right place doing his job, but he doesn't.  Maybe he thinks his only task is to confirm if the ball crosses the line ... maybe the SFA need to remind him about also watching the goalie's movement.  Of course most keepers take a step forward on penalties to launch themselves into the dive ... biomechanics and all that stuff ...

The lino will be looking at the taker - it almost always happens. That's the reason most keepers at our level take steps off the line to narrow the angle, they know they won't get caught because the focus will be on the taker and making sure there's no encroachment. Picking a team at random, I typed 'Stirling Albion penalty' into YouTube and sure enough the first video that popped up (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxs-wET5c1c) shows the Stirling keeper taking a blatant step off the line, just to demonstrate my point.

Should be noted too, Sula and Gallagher (I think) were having a bit of a shoving match on the edge of the box which the ref spoke to them about, so that takes focus further away from the keeper.

If the assistant isn't looking at the penalty taker then how would he know how to judge whether the goalkeeper was off his line when it was taken? Caring deeply about small bits of encroachment at penalties, especially when the rebound is scored anyway, is very small time, I'm afraid.

15 minutes ago, craigkillie said:

If the assistant isn't looking at the penalty taker then how would he know how to judge whether the goalkeeper was off his line when it was taken? Caring deeply about small bits of encroachment at penalties, especially when the rebound is scored anyway, is very small time, I'm afraid.

Suppose so, and in the end it's difficult for one official to watch both the goalie and the taker at the same time. In retrospect, it looks a clear encroachment by the goalie so you'd still want the officials to spot it, but I can't say I noticed the keeper coming off his line at the time so was surprised seeing the still image (this might have something to do with watching it through my fingers in the stand). 

Not seeing anyone caring deeply, for what it's worth. It was simply a game in which there's very little else to talk about. 

1 hour ago, craigkillie said:

Might as well lean in to being small time at this point. Arguing over wee bits of encroachment is almost all we have. Return to your Rugby Park palace, hope you feel like a big cool guy.

The perfect linesman would look like this84bd0aaff7929089e5aff4f03a193951.jpg

1 hour ago, Caro-Kann said:

That was the very definition of grinding out a result. Euan was our standout player today.

I'm wondering if there are still folk left queuing to get out of the car park.

I hope the person who tooted their horn for about two solid minutes when I got back into my car is having a terrible day.

On 05/11/2022 at 22:09, Mr November said:

Not an experienced option but Scott Agnew was there as well. 

A poor game overall and if it wasn't for the penalty I think a 0-0 was a certainty. Clyde defended pretty well and made sure there wasn't big gaps for Jamieson to exploit. Cunningham and Roberts were lively but the lack of any physicality up there, or even beyond the defence, meant we were largely untroubled. I thought Fordyce had a few dodgy moments (again!) but we got away with them. Euan Deveney was the best player on the park, he has his moments defensively at times but I think he's worth persevering with, as while he's still raw and inexperienced you can never fault his commitment and attitude. 

We got away with it today but the lack of subs was a concern again today. We have plenty of numbers there with the young boys padding out the bench but even Clyde had better options today in Jordan Allan, whereas with ATS ostensibly not fully fit our only senior option was Dean McMaster. Still, a very good three points given the performance and it was important to keep another clean sheet and grind out a win.

Scott Agnew on his way back us as a coach 🤞🏻

5 hours ago, Brian Carrigan said:

The lino will be looking at the taker - it almost always happens ...

Well, maybe - but surely the linos job at a penalty is to: (1) watch the line (that's one of their main tasks during a game anyway) to see if the ball crosses it, and (2) watch the keeper's movement (if any) away from the goal line prior to the kick.  The Ref will be watching the taker, won't he?

Just speculation as I've absolutely no idea what instructions the SFA gives to officials for their roles during spot kicks though.  Maybe someone can shed a light on this.