Hearts vs Motherwell 6th November

On the potential Gordon sending off, to me it looks like he gets booked in the first instance because he came all the way from his goal to protest the Grant red card. He didn't look particularly aggressive in doing so and he pointed to his armband after the booking was given which suggests it wasn't for calling the ref a c**t. If it's how it looks then Clancy made an arse of that. I wonder if that was in the back of his mind after the penalty award.

4 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Didn't think you had any rivals for third.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Obviously that was a good win for Hearts, but some of the posts on this thread make it well worthwhile of a bookmark for later in the season.😉

2 hours ago, coprolite said:

Good to see that filthy animal Grant getting a harsh red. Karma for escaping one for his brutal assault on Barron at Pittodrie. 

Congrats to Hearts on getting third sewn up. 

Pain. 4U0m6pP_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&

The big thing is we're starting to show is a good but of grit late. We came from behind against County and today I would have been okay with a point after the red, but we are starting to show a lot of determination, and by God it is rubbing off with the fans.

That tackle Cochrane made in injury time for example. I haven't celebrated a tackle like that in a long time; it's fucking great watching players put it all out there on the line. 

11 hours ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

On the Gordon yellow card debate - I feel Gordon gets the slightest something of a touch on the ball and don't feel he should have been carded, so correct decision for me - it is a penalty though as he takes the player down.

If it's a penalty, it really has to be a yellow card (FWIW, I don't think from watching it again online that Gordon touches the ball at all). But I do wonder if Clancy (who was terrible all day) remembered his stupidity in booking the Hearts' captain for querying a sending off and balanced things out.

1 minute ago, lennyzer0 said:

If it's a penalty, it really has to be a yellow card

It doesnt, we had a penalty awarded against us on Friday and Marshall wasnt booked for that offence.

Its not that uncommon not to see yellows at a pen - outside of the (now bonkers, imo) handball rule.

Gordon quite clearly gets to that ball first, if VAR can't spot that it's useless.

Grant red is harsh, but if you dive in like that you're asking for trouble. He's had about 4 of those for us, he really needs to start staying on his feet or he simply can't be trusted.

A huge win for us given we were down to 10 for so long and even when it went to 2-2 the crowd never turned which feels like something that's shifted lately, not getting on the players backs too easily and it makes a huge difference.  Place was bouncing at the end.

The still images REALLY make it look like Gordon touched the ball, but those can be deceptive. When I saw the replays I thought it was a penalty but when I slow it down it's hard to tell. From the angles available to VAR it's inconclusive as to whether he gets a touch so I don't think you can overturn the penalty in those circumstances.

Only having a couple of angles to look at is arguably a flaw in itself of course.

Great to win with 10 men, particularly as we scored 3 goals after the red card! 

Honestly - I think Gordon should have been booked for the penalty, but Clancy bottled it as he realised he made a mistake with the first booking 🤦

I'm wondering if headers can be considered for Goal of the Month? If Halliday had volleyed either of his last 2 headers they'd be in contention! Snodgrass' corner delivery is exquisite as well, drops down and curls in with pace.

3 hours ago, Leith Green said:

Obviously that was a good win for Hearts, but some of the posts on this thread make it well worthwhile of a bookmark for later in the season.😉

If you're not concerned about being below your injury-ravaged rivals who have spent the autumn playing a game every four and a bit days without a functioning defence, and who have just won a game with ten men for the majority of the match, then you're a happy-clapper of the highest order.

What a riddy this is for Hibs.

Long season ahead, but it's hard to see where Hibs' optimism comes from.

7 minutes ago, DC92 said:

The still images REALLY make it look like Gordon touched the ball, but those can be deceptive. When I saw the replays I thought it was a penalty but when I slow it down it's hard to tell. From the angles available to VAR it's inconclusive as to whether he gets a touch so I don't think you can overturn the penalty in those circumstances.

Only having a couple of angles to look at is arguably a flaw in itself of course.

It's the point about having shite angles I'm on about. Doing VAR on the cheap is pish and never going to consistently give better decisions. I'm not overly surprised it's not turned over, but he gets to that ball first. 

And while still images can be deceptive in terms of tackles etc, I think him making contact with the ball, which is before he gets to Moult, is pretty obvious from that. But even on the replays you can see the ball change direction slightly.

Edited by Tony Wonder

19 minutes ago, Leith Green said:

It doesnt, we had a penalty awarded against us on Friday and Marshall wasnt booked for that offence.

Its not that uncommon not to see yellows at a pen - outside of the (now bonkers, imo) handball rule.

Different case there - Duk was going away from goal when Marshall brought him down (or didn't, depending on your POV).  The rule is that if the foul is denying a goal scoring opportunity, but a genuine attempt has been made to play the ball, then yellow not red. Only if the ref deems it's more stopping an attacking move than a clear DOGSO is there no requirement for even a yellow.

I'm delighted it wasn't a yellow, obviously, but if I were a Well fan I'd be wondering how that wasn't stopping a goal scoring opportunity (the ball does go to the left, of course, but only because Gordon is about to foul Moult).

It's an interesting case, and more nuanced than I thought live, now I think about it more.

5 hours ago, kingjoey said:

Didn't think you had any rivals for third.

Certainly not the view of anyone I know.

I (and others) have said since the summer that this part of the season was about being within 6 points of third by the break. If we can beat Livi next week, then whatever else happens, we'll have achieved that.

Considering all that's been going on, that would be a result. I think Hibs and Aberdeen will both be disappointed by how Hearts have coped with this spell. My guess is both clubs will have seen this spell as a chance to build up really strong leads, it's certainly how I'd have seen it in reverse. But Hearts' form has prevented that.

Edited by VincentGuerin

30 minutes ago, DC92 said:

It's as if Moult got the benefit of the doubt with regards to the penalty and Gordon got the benefit of the doubt with respect to the potential card which seems fair

21 minutes ago, VincentGuerin said:

Certainly not the view of anyone I know.

I (and others) have said since the summer that this part of the season was about being within 6 points of third by the break. If we can beat Livi next week, then whatever else happens, we'll have achieved that.

Considering all that's been going on, that would be a result. I think Hibs and Aberdeen will both be disappointed by how Hearts have coped with this spell. My guess is both clubs will have seen this spell as a chance to build up really strong leads, it's certainly how I'd have seen it in reverse. But Hearts' form has prevented that.

Hearts are currently a whisker over even money for a top three finish, Aberdeen are a shade under 2/1 and Hibs are currently available at 5/1

That seems about right

37 minutes ago, Tony Wonder said:

It's the point about having shite angles I'm on about. Doing VAR on the cheap is pish and never going to consistently give better decisions. I'm not overly surprised it's not turned over, but he gets to that ball first. 

And while still images can be deceptive in terms of tackles etc, I think him making contact with the ball, which is before he gets to Moult, is pretty obvious from that. But even on the replays you can see the ball change direction slightly.

Agreed on VAR.

On the still image, it definitely looks like Gordon's hand is touching the ball, but I suppose it's also possible that it's a bit of an optical illusion and the ball is actually a few inches in front of his hand. My instinct is that he touched it but I'd also say it's not conclusive.

I think, and it is impossible to see this conclusively from any the angles or from the still photo, that Moult gets to the ball fractionally ahead of Gordon, tries to knock it round him, Gordon gets a deflection on it which takes the ball wide then they both hit each other.  

You need slomo and a good camera angle which you don't have, so i can see why it's not been overturned but there's not much other explanation for where the ball ends up tbh.