Hearts vs Motherwell 6th November

54 minutes ago, Thenorthernlight said:

It’s not a red for that reason… but it’s a clear, stonewall yellow.

Clancy shat the bed 

Hearts should’ve been playing with 9. 

Should've....

Don't think grant should've been sent off and Gordon looks to have got the ball.

Thought Hearts were the better team today, Motherwell had 60 minutes with an extra man. Their 433 is far to easy to play through the middle of. Van veen is a top player at this level,  that finish was first rate.

Hearts dug in though , cochrane my motm but snodgrass and Shankland both put shifts in too.

Huge result. Made things ridiculously difficult for ourselves after dominating the first half hour but to score 3 while down to 10 men and have so many big incidents in the game go against us it's a massive 3 points. Cochrane and Halliday were absolutely immense and we've got huge unity in the squad which has seen the support really get behind the players in recent weeks. The catalyst for that was Florence which is strange given we got pumped but it's created a brilliant atmosphere around the club again.

Aberdeen are our only true threats for 3rd and they've not built up the sort of lead they needed to whilst we were in Europe. Out with the big 2 we've by far the strongest squad, if it is ever close to fit, which will hopefully be the case post World Cup. Still no Halkett, Kingsley, Rowles (only 5 mins), Haring, Beningame, Boyce, GMS, Humphrys today and I fully expect us to bring in at least 2 additions in January. 

Aberdeen return with home games v Celtic and Rangers whilst we play Killie and St Mirren at Tynecastle so any lead could be wiped out quickly by Christmas. Hibs are lucky to even have the 20 points they do, won most of their points against 10 men and we only had ourselves to blame or not being 3 or 4 up Easter Road - we'll empty them at Tynie at New Year. Actually think that Motherwell team are better than them and they'll be touch and go for top 6 by April. In short to be 3rd you'll definitely need to finish above us.

Not much been said about the Goss incident, I think he beat the offside trap, made his way into the box and was then pulled down, the ref seemed to blow for a hand ball against him on the ground then the linesman flagged for a late offside.  I didn’t see it again on Sportscene so I guess I will never know.

28 minutes ago, Hendricks said:

Motherwell team are better than them and they'll be touch and go for top 6 by April. In short to be 3rd you'll definitely need to finish above us.

Need a lot to change if we are even to threaten top 6. We do have some decent footballers in our squad. I have seen that myself in a few games this season. Good to watch and a threat going forwards. But our defending from midfield back is often amateur at best. 

I said at the start of the season we needed another starting centre back or even two. We got none. And it shows. For 80-90% of the time in games they do OK or even have a good game. But there are far too many errors happening game in game out. 

I was scunnered today. More than any other result this season apart from maybe St Johnstone at home when we again lost a last minute goal to lose. I have watched Motherwell for 40+ seasons and as years go by you think you deal with defeat better. Mostly I do but when you get back to 2-2 having being 2-0 down v 10 men. To actually lose is quite honestly bordering on the unacceptable.

Hearts have by far and away the 3rd best squad especially when everyone is fit. You can talk about VAR and Refs decisions but if you defend like the 1st and 3rd goals conceded today you don’t really deserve much out of the game 🤷‍♂️

Feel that today was a fantastic win for us, we dug deep and grinded out the win. Well done to everyone on the pitch.

On the Grant red card - I feel like it should have been a yellow at worst, its not a dangerous tackle at all and his studs are facing down, just imo, the fact that we are down to 10 men and still go in front shows alot of character.

On the Gordon yellow card debate - I feel Gordon gets the slightest something of a touch on the ball and don't feel he should have been carded, so correct decision for me - it is a penalty though as he takes the player down.

Btw I felt motherwell were decent today and will push for top six imo, I wouldn't mind hearts having a look at van veen in the January window as he looks a real handful.

12 minutes ago, RudiSkacel51 said:

Feel that today was a fantastic win for us, we dug deep and grinded out the win. Well done to everyone on the pitch.

On the Grant red card - I feel like it should have been a yellow at worst, its not a dangerous tackle at all and his studs are facing down, just imo, the fact that we are down to 10 men and still go in front shows alot of character.

On the Gordon yellow card debate - I feel Gordon gets the slightest something of a touch on the ball and don't feel he should have been carded, so correct decision for me - it is a penalty though as he takes the player down.

Btw I felt motherwell were decent today and will push for top six imo, I wouldn't mind hearts having a look at van veen in the January window as he looks a real handful.

On Grant, and on similar tackles, I look at where they land. In this case a yard beyond the player. I.e. he didn’t tackle him and contact his foot at the end of the move, he went through the player.  I have seen nothing awarded, yellows awarded, and also reds.  I suspect there was no intent but it was dangerous.

5 hours ago, the jambo-rocker said:

Games like that are why we should feel entitled to finish 3rd again. I honestly expected us to crumble after the red.

Huge result that.

I wouldn't worry about it. We will finish third again. The fact Aberdeen and Hibs couldn't put any distance between themselves and us despite us playing in Europe until now and having so many key players out injured, particularly at the back, will be bitterly disappointing for them. We also played both of them away in the first round of fixtures and are about to play the Old Firm for a fourth time. They have only played them twice.

Rowles is an absolute Rolls Royce of a centre back. Him and Halkett back together after the World Cup break. Halliday and Cochrane are playing fantastically at the moment, yet Kingsley will come back in as well. Then Beni and Snoddy pulling strings in the middle with Devlin nipping every c**t's heels.

If we get the 'luxury' of a mostly fit squad for the second half of the season, nobody outside of the Old Firm will trouble us. That's just a fact.

35 minutes ago, ropy said:

On Grant, and on similar tackles, I look at where they land. In this case a yard beyond the player. I.e. he didn’t tackle him and contact his foot at the end of the move, he went through the player.  I have seen nothing awarded, yellows awarded, and also reds.  I suspect there was no intent but it was dangerous.

I thought he deserved to go for sheer stupidity alone especially given he's already been involved in a very costly (in respect to that individual game) high profile incident already this season. It was needlessly reckless given we were dominating and someone needs to be having a word because he is getting a rep as a liability. Ironically he had one of his best half hours in maroon before then. For me it's one of those if it's your team it looks soft if you are the other team you are screaming for it. I always thought that VAR would become a big thing at Tynecastle, more so than many grounds as the tightness of the pitch to the stands and regularity of fairly hectic matches, pressure on the ref etc. was always going to lead to loads of incidents. Since VAR arrived we've had an action packed 3-4 v Celtic and now a cracking 3-2 win today. I suspect that theme will continue. 

Edited by Hendricks

3 hours ago, ropy said:

Not much been said about the Goss incident, I think he beat the offside trap, made his way into the box and was then pulled down, the ref seemed to blow for a hand ball against him on the ground then the linesman flagged for a late offside.  I didn’t see it again on Sportscene so I guess I will never know.

If its the one I'm thinking of it was offside by a distance.

5 hours ago, Aylo vanal said:

If it's the same one he was definitely on, three or four other players coming back were off. Don't think much of any penalty claim after it though. 

6 hours ago, Aylo vanal said:

You must be thinking of the wrong incident because the one @ropy is talking about, Goss was well onside. The Hearts player closest to the touchline/right back area was playing him on by a good yard or two. A couple of other Motherwell players were offside but not interfering with play.