Welcome to Wrexham TV Series on FX

TxRover

Finished watching the first season, quite an enjoyable watch. Found it quite amusing that FX subtitled a whole lot of it so the poor viewers in the U.S. could understand it. I was actually impressed with the way they gave insight into the issues of running a team, and how a slug of money can’t solve everything. Most interesting comment made was that if they gained promotion into League Two, their salary costs would actually reduce because they were currently paying a premium to get a few players to drop down to the National League.

Amusingly, this series got a local sports radio station to talk about promotion/relegation in a positive way when an off the wall idea for promotion/relegation from the NBA to/from the NBA G League was mooted.

It's an an entertaining watch.

Its weird that I end up liking Reynolds and MacElheny, the players, (some of) the fans and still wanting them to utterly fail.

Ultimately I can't buy into the fallacy that Wrexham as a club and town are some sort of special case who deserve success any more than Grimsby or Dagenham.

2 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Gretna with better PR

I've  not watched it yet. There must be a "Gretna" element, but to counter that Wrexham do have a bit more history and potential at a higher level.

Paying big money is trying to take a short cut, rather than a slow rebuild (Who'd watch that?).

A programme about how they landed in such a shite position would be interesting.

4 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

It's an an entertaining watch.

Its weird that I end up liking Reynolds and MacElheny, the players, (some of) the fans and still wanting them to utterly fail.

Ultimately I can't buy into the fallacy that Wrexham as a club and town are some sort of special case who deserve success any more than Grimsby or Dagenham.

They stated in the first couple of episodes they were drawn to it as it was the oldest club in the UK or something along those lines.

In the same division Notts County are older.

I think there is a lot of attaching a narrative retrospectively. 

I've no problem with Wrexham and I like the idea a club at the heart of the community where a town has been shat on from great height doing well and giving the community something to coalesce around.

However, that would also apply to dozens of clubs across the country. 

They have crafted a great story but as a football fan I can't buy into the idea that someone coming in and blowing equally worthy clubs out of the water is something to celebrate.

That said they have said they aim to become sustainable but they have also said they are aiming for Wrexham in the EPL and I dont see how those two things marry up.

I say that as someone with absolutely no truck with my own clubs business model.

Edited by invergowrie arab

@gav-ffc, that post reminded me of this series, hence the post.

8 hours ago, craigkillie said:

Gretna with better PR

And shallower pockets…

7 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

No, I suspect that’s nearly an automatic fitba response to anyone getting a leg up. At least the involved individuals come across as genuine people, enjoying what they are doing, and learning how to suffer. I didn’t get the idea that they were promoting Wrexham as a special case, more that…

3 hours ago, KD1711 said:

They stated in the first couple of episodes they were drawn to it as it was the oldest club in the UK or something along those lines.

…they were drawn to the oldest international stadium in the world,,I think it was.

6 hours ago, Sergeant Wilson said:

I've  not watched it yet. There must be a "Gretna" element, but to counter that Wrexham do have a bit more history and potential at a higher level.

Paying big money is trying to take a short cut, rather than a slow rebuild (Who'd watch that?).

A programme about how they landed in such a shite position would be interesting.

The short cut is decidedly not present, as the result showed. There was a decent discussion in the first episode or two of how a Wrexham was facing the wall and how.

2 hours ago, invergowrie arab said:

I think there is a lot of attaching a narrative retrospectively. 

I've no problem with Wrexham and I like the idea a club at the heart of the community where a town has been shat on from great height doing well and giving the community something to coalesce around.

However, that would also apply to dozens of clubs across the country. 

They have crafted a great story but as a football fan I can't buy into the idea that someone coming in and blowing equally worthy clubs out of the water is something to celebrate.

That said they have said they aim to become sustainable but they have also said they are aiming for Wrexham in the EPL and I dont see how those two things marry up.

I say that as someone with absolutely no truck with my own clubs business model.

I think there is an element of aspiration from the show, and there is the possibility that some other individuals with decent wallets might decide to get involved in similarity shat upon teams…yes, that also distributes the s**ting upon around a bit, but interest and investment in the game is not a bad thing overall.

As for the EPL idea, I suspect that Rob and Ryan now fully understand the magnitude of that idea, and probably discount it quite a bit. Coming from ‘Murica, where there is no concept of relegation and promotion, the idea of saddling up a minnow and riding it into the shark tank (to mix metaphors badly) was probably quite appealing to a couple of guys who are a bit outside the stereotypical wealthy guy mould. Having now banged their heads on the first attempt, I expect they have doubled down, but also have begun to understand the harsh reality of the situation.

Regardless, it’s a nice boost for a depressed area and there is a bit of a warm fuzzy that someone outside the normal few caught a break…until you think about why it wasn’t your team.

Strangely I had not watched it but my wife was hooked and had watched about 12 episodes before I watched the last few although i forgot she didn't know how it ended up and I was going look what a difference a year makes Hayden has scored the winner against Maidenhead tonight which was screamed at as a spolier LOL

Everyone would enjoy the kind of interest in their club that Ryan and Rob generated and related merch and ticket sales. They come across well in the show and the reality of being a fan v an owner is shown and the shock at the wage budget. 

I know from being involved in fundraising for a league of Ireland club and for a GAA county team it can be a thankless task going back to the same well time after time to get more money with little to show for it at times. 

• 3 months later...

Just finished watching this. Being a very petty football fan, the main appeal for me was knowing that they ended up blowing it. Not so sure I would bother watching if they ever actually get out of the league. 

The smart money is on them blowing it again this season. 

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed the first series. I like Ryan Reynolds and Rob McIlhenny but I cannot tolerate that wee rat-faced supporter who fucked off to the pub because he was too nervous during their biggest game last season. He comes across as an absolute tosspot.