Pan-Great Britain Cups On Top Of Domestic Leagues - Women's football. 

JOEY VIMSANTE

Pan-Great Britain Cups On Top Of Domestic Leagues. - Women's football. 

I do not support merging the Scottish, English and Welsh women's leagues as everyone would think Scotland was part of England. And that the British league was a continuation of the English league. 

So all the Scottish trophies would be seen as non-league trophies.

I want the best of both worlds where we keep our own leagues  but also have more cross border cups,  

But I do support Pan-Great Britain Cups on top of domestic and European football. 

It is a not widely known that Scottish clubs were runners-up three times in the original Women's FA Cup.

My idea to help women's football in Scotland and Wales. Would be to have a Pan-Great Britain Cups or invite Scottish and Welsh sides as guests in the English domestic cups. 

Like in Scottish men's football, the Northern Irish and Welsh enter club sides in the Scottish Challenge Cup. 

How about England let Glasgow City, Glasgow Celtic and Glasgow Rangers play sides as guests in the Women's FA Cup, or FA Women's League Cup.

Or invite all Scottish tier one sides and selected Welsh tier one sides as guests in the FA Women's National League Cup  or FA Women's National League Plate.

Or just have a Women's Anglo-Scottish Cup, or Women's Great Britain Club Cup, taking all the leading Scottish sides plus perhaps second tier English sides and the leading tier one Welsh league sides.

A Celtic Women's Club Cup could also happen. Taking Scottish, Welsh, Northern Irish and Irish Republic club sides, 

I think this would help women's football in Scotland and Wales.

Imagine games like Glasgow City v Man Utd, Glasgow City v Liverpool, and Glasgow Rangers v Man City at women's football.

Travel would be no tougher than it is in European games.

I do not think there would be crowd trouble in women's football.  

The Celtic and Rangers fans would turn up in big numbers for such games.  So it would be self-financing,  

It would be great fun for Scotland v England banter, 

What does everyone think of this idea? 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/11/2022 at 17:23, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

Imagine games like Glasgow City v Man Utd, Glasgow City v Liverpool, and Glasgow Rangers v Man City at women's football.

The Celtic and Rangers fans would turn up in big numbers for such games.  So it would be self-financing,  

What does everyone think of this idea? 

A few thousand at Ibrox for Rangers vs Benfica in the Women's CL suggests your 'turn up in big numbers' idea is wildly optimistic.  There is very little appetite for wifey fitba in Scotland - as the tiny number of posters on this sub-forum shows.  Plus Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal et al would absolutely batter us.

Some of the posters on here - who go to games regularly - are welcome to correct me but  I think we're miles off the pace compared to even some of the English Championship teams.  But with only us, them and G City being FT it's no surprise.

So, donning my Rangers bunnet, we've played 9 games, scored 47 goals and conceded nil.  This may well change on the two following Sundays but it shows just how shallow the competition is.

So I'd prefer us to invest money - and the SFA has to play a part here - in developing the woman's game here so we can have - at least - eight FT professional teams. Then we can think of cross-Britain competitions.

18 hours ago, The_Kincardine said:

A few thousand at Ibrox for Rangers vs Benfica in the Women's CL suggests your 'turn up in big numbers' idea is wildly optimistic.  There is very little appetite for wifey fitba in Scotland - as the tiny number of posters on this sub-forum shows.  Plus Man U, Chelsea, Arsenal et al would absolutely batter us.

Some of the posters on here - who go to games regularly - are welcome to correct me but  I think we're miles off the pace compared to even some of the English Championship teams.  But with only us, them and G City being FT it's no surprise.

So, donning my Rangers bunnet, we've played 9 games, scored 47 goals and conceded nil.  This may well change on the two following Sundays but it shows just how shallow the competition is.

So I'd prefer us to invest money - and the SFA has to play a part here - in developing the woman's game here so we can have - at least - eight FT professional teams. Then we can think of cross-Britain competitions.

I agree with you, I go to games regularly but crowds here are still well behind England and so is the development of the domestic game. Although things are also moving in the right direction, the game is definitely on the up here in Scotland too, let's not try to run before we can walk over here. Even just the fact that you got a few thousand at Ibrox shows a real improvement, a few years ago those numbers would have been much lower. The game here will improve in both quality and popularity, but it does need time.

On 15/11/2022 at 09:23, Marten said:

I agree with you, I go to games regularly but crowds here are still well behind England and so is the development of the domestic game. Although things are also moving in the right direction, the game is definitely on the up here in Scotland too, let's not try to run before we can walk over here. Even just the fact that you got a few thousand at Ibrox shows a real improvement, a few years ago those numbers would have been much lower. The game here will improve in both quality and popularity, but it does need time.

Yes - you are absolutely right and I'm not as negative as my post suggests.  This is my third season of watching games regularly and there has been a  big improvement all round.