150th Anniversary Heritage Match - Scotland vs England

jagfox

Hard to believe there used to be people who pined for the return of the Home Internationals. I could quite happily go the rest of my life without us playing England again, especially in meaningless friendlies.

I'm only watching this one with the assurance that, if England half-arse it and we win, I get to see a full-blown uber-entitled head's gone from Ian Wright to rival his reaction to the Northern Ireland shiteastrophy.

What the heck is wrong with some people? Why the heck do you not see Scotland v England as our biggest match?  It is what Scottish football is all about.

This is not the Scotland I grew up in, when people do not care about Scotland v England. 

Too me, Scotland v England is the biggest match in football. 

What the heck is wrong with some people? Why the heck do you not see Scotland v England as our biggest match?  It is what Scottish football is all about.
This is not the Scotland I grew up in, when people do not care about Scotland v England. 

It’s by far our least significant match of 2023.

2 hours ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

England vs Scotland in a qualifier is a big deal.  England vs Scotland in the Nations League would be a big deal (if they get back to our level).  England vs Scotland at a major tournament is massive.

England vs Scotland in a friendly on a Tuesday night with the nights starting to draw in, where we'll probably see a million subs on both sides, is not particularly big.  It was big when we played them at Wembley in 2013, when it had been nearly 14 years since the last match.  We then played them another 3 times in 4 years.  

When I was growing up  I was  taught Scots would be desperate for a Scotland v England win at fiddly winks let alone an international match at our national sport.

For me Scotland v England 2023 Is the biggest game of the year. Just like in rugby, cricket, snooker, golf and even fiddly winks. 

Edited by JOEY VIMSANTE

When I was growing up  I was  taught Scots would be desperate for a Scotland v England win at fiddly winks let alone an international match at our national sport.
For me Scotland v England 2023 Is the biggest game of the year. Just like in rugby, cricket, snooker, golf and even fiddly winks. 

c66795cb90cd3f5df02970e07ac15da7.jpg

10 hours ago, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

This is the attitude that keeps Gregor Townsend in his job. Beat England and that is all the rugby fans worry about for the year.

Be clear, this is our least important game of 2023 at present. We have a qualifier in Cyprus four days before this that is infinitely more important due to the implications of qualifying for the Euros to the coffers of the SFA.

Will still go to this probably but absolutely cannot be arsed with it.

Weird one, normally be buzzing about a potential england game but a friendly on a tuesday night is a bit meh. Especially as the last 3 games were competitive.

2013 was first in a long time and there was a real buzz for that game. Since then we've played them another 4 times and it's kind of lost it's aura imo. 

Will no doubt still go and will 100% be up for it on the night but we've more important games in the qualifiers.

On 03/11/2022 at 11:10, JOEY VIMSANTE said:

They are young... they know not of the ways of old. It certainly was the biggest match in the Scottish football calendar when I was growing up but id say the 1977 Wembley game was the last time that was true. 

Edited by kennie makevin
Typo

Though the game itself may be no big deal I do feel the occasion, the anniversary is a massive thing. We don't tend to celebrate history very well in regards to football, indeed there's very little sense of the history of the game. Too much fixation on the SPFL / Premiership etc. The fact that all international football flows from that game in Glasgow in 1873 is mind-blowing. FIFA really should be getting behind this and flying over all the true greats of international football that are still alive to parade before the game to tell the world that Scotland gave international football to the world. 'Birthday Caird Pish' it may be, but when you consider how many people throughout the globe will, for good or ill, be touched by international football over the next few weeks I think that's something our wee country should be proud of.

3 hours ago, kennie makevin said:

Though the game itself may be no big deal I do feel the occasion, the anniversary is a massive thing. We don't tend to celebrate history very well in regards to football, indeed there's very little sense of the history of the game. Too much fixation on the SPFL / Premiership etc. The fact that all international football flows from that game in Glasgow in 1873 is mind-blowing. FIFA really should be getting behind this and flying over all the true greats of international football that are still alive to parade before the game to tell the world that Scotland gave international football to the world. 'Birthday Caird Pish' it may be, but when you consider how many people throughout the globe will, for good or ill, be touched by international football over the next few weeks I think that's something our wee country should be proud of.

It's passed most people by due to the way they've marketed it, but the game will actually be 10 months 'late': the first ever international was 30th November 1872 so it should really be next week... 1873 was first under SFA auspices, at The Oval.

• 1 year later...

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so this one seems the most appropriate. 

Would anyone be interested in buying one of the 150 year anniversary tops in an XL ahead of the Euros? Tags still on and never worn. 

My mate picked it up for me during the first release but it’s miles too big and has been sitting in my wardrobe since. They’re currently going for £90 at JD, but I’d take £70 if anyone is interested. Can PM over pictures etc if anyone wants a look. 

Edited by dezz

15 hours ago, dezz said:

Didn’t want to start a new thread, so this one seems the most appropriate. 

Would anyone be interested in buying one of the 150 year anniversary tops in an XL ahead of the Euros? Tags still on and never worn. 

My mate picked it up for me during the first release but it’s miles too big and has been sitting in my wardrobe since. They’re currently going for £90 at JD, but I’d take £70 if anyone is interested. Can PM over pictures etc if anyone wants a look. 

Hit the pies and fill it out - get your money's worth! 😄

8 hours ago, Gordopolis said:

Hit the pies and fill it out - get your money's worth! 😄

2 weeks on the Pilsner and Bratwurst and I’ll be wishing I still had the XL 😁

On 17/01/2024 at 21:53, dezz said:

Would anyone be interested in buying one of the 150 year anniversary tops in an XL ahead of the Euros? It's miles too wee.

Fixed. Fooling naebdy fatty.

9 hours ago, velo army said:

Fixed. Fooling naebdy fatty.

Brutal message to wake up to on a Friday morning. Saying that, I’m out for dinner tonight and tomorrow then lunch on Sunday so harsh but fair. 

Edit: Top now sold. 

Edited by dezz