Staggies v Buddies - 05/11/22

FT 3-2
Yep no complaints well beaten. Probably should have lost by more on the balance of play. Our woeful form on the road shows no sign of turning around.
It was yet another ineffectual performance from the Main/Ayunga partnership, they were both very poor today. Baccus and the rest of the midfield also went missing and we got the usual defensive calamity you expect from us at away games. Somehow go in at halftime ahead and if we can produce a remotely decent defensive performance second half we don’t lose the game. Too much to ask
Said it last week and I’ll say it again. Start the captain Joe Shaughnessy and we will concede less goals.
We did improve when Brophy and Grieve came on and the Kiwi could have grabbed a late equaliser when the ball bounced to him but it was well saved. Like to see both of them start on Wednesday.
Two home games before the World Cup break in the next seven days, St Johnstone and Rangers. That midweek game against the fakes looks pretty important IMO, need to stop the rot.

Big 3 points today, well deserved. Felt a bit deflated at HT being behind, but turned it around well second half.

Nice to see us trying to pass the ball about rather than route one, hoping that's the default game plan moving forward.

Hope Baldwin is just a niggle and nothing more, but thought Watson did well when he came on.

Edited by central staggie

1 minute ago, central staggie said:

Big 3 points today, well deserved. Felt a bit deflated at HT being behind, but turned it around well second half.

Nice to see us trying to pass the ball about rather than route one, hoping that's the default gameplay moving forward.

Hope Baldwin is just a niggle and nothing more, but thought Watson did well when he came on.

I was quite impressed.  St Mirren seemed strangely bereft of ideas in the final third. Dhanda strolled it.   The real concern for County is wide left.  Harmon was effectively playing left back and left wing.   

Akio could be something else. 

HT: Well, I'll not lie, I'm surprised we are ahead.

FT: Well, I'll not lie, I'm not surprised we lost.

Really can't get my head around our away performances. You don't expect 100% consistency when supporting St Mirren, so even if the home form is good you can accept the odd bump on the road, but we just don't seem the same team away and I can't see a reason for it. Perhaps we shouldn't rely on teams to come onto us like we do at home, but the actual performances from the same players (albeit a shake up in defence this time round) is markedly different.

5 minutes ago, Ric said:

HT: Well, I'll not lie, I'm surprised we are ahead.

FT: Well, I'll not lie, I'm not surprised we lost.

Really can't get my head around our away performances. You don't expect 100% consistency when supporting St Mirren, so even if the home form is good you can accept the odd bump on the road, but we just don't seem the same team away and I can't see a reason for it. Perhaps we shouldn't rely on teams to come onto us like we do at home, but the actual performances from the same players (albeit a shake up in defence this time round) is markedly different.

You're getting consistency.......just it's not the kind you want!

Our best performance of the season by an absolute mile today. Thought that the shape really suited us. Johnson looks so good in that wide centre half role because it provides out central defence with some much, much needed pace. Absolutely scandalous that Dhanda hasn’t been first name on the team sheet up until now. Man of the Match today, however, was Loturi by a long way. All energy, kept it simple, literally dictated the game along side Dhanda. I think once Callachan is fit, that midfield three could be brilliant. I’d still go and sign a proper dominator in January, but that is a solid 3 if we persist with this shape IMO.

Also, special mention for Erhahon trying to bend it up the Jailend after going 2-1 up. Hope he sleeps well tonight - Riddy!

10 minutes ago, Matty-RCFC said:

Our best performance of the season by an absolute mile today. Thought that the shape really suited us. Johnson looks so good in that wide centre half role because it provides out central defence with some much, much needed pace. Absolutely scandalous that Dhanda hasn’t been first name on the team sheet up until now. Man of the Match today, however, was Loturi by a long way. All energy, kept it simple, literally dictated the game along side Dhanda. I think once Callachan is fit, that midfield three could be brilliant. I’d still go and sign a proper dominator in January, but that is a solid 3 if we persist with this shape IMO.

Also, special mention for Erhahon trying to bend it up the Jailend after going 2-1 up. Hope he sleeps well tonight - Riddy!

Interesting how County kept switching between 3 and 4 at the back.  

Edit: two proper full backs.  Bless.  

Edited by Savage Henry

Shout out to Keith Watson, came on having not played any serious game time and replaced Baldwin magnificently.
Remember when Malky was talking up Laidlaw for a Scotland call up. Embarrassing min!

Was worried when Watson came on but to be fair playing against Ayunga and Main probably suits him down to the ground because the whole game is in front of him.

Interesting how County kept switching between 3 and 4 at the back.  

Edit: two proper full backs.  Bless.  

I don’t think we started with the 3 but I definitely noticed the switch when we did make the move. Thought it suited us down to the ground.

ETA: Purrington and Harmon are two excellent options at left back. Have we ever had two good options at left back before? Ever?

1 hour ago, Savage Henry said:

I was quite impressed.  St Mirren seemed strangely bereft of ideas in the final third. Dhanda strolled it.   The real concern for County is wide left.  Harmon was effectively playing left back and left wing.   

Akio could be something else

I'd agree with all of that, maybe with the exception of the bold. A very, very rough diamond there but I've been more impressed with Victor tbh. As has already been mentioned today he likes to keep it simple, and recycles the possession well. 

Defo encouraging, but 2 very tough games coming up before the break.

8 minutes ago, central staggie said:

I'd agree with all of that, maybe with the exception of the bold. A very, very rough diamond there but I've been more impressed with Victor tbh. As has already been mentioned today he likes to keep it simple, and recycles the possession well. 

Defo encouraging, but 2 very tough games coming up before the break.

He allowed Tillson to be a bit more box-to-box.   He should be starting most games at this point.