Friday night fever: Cove vs Queen's Park

Can't be fucked reading the last 4 pages. Hoping they all say we were honking jobbies tonight because even that is being polite.

Missed my last train home so £65 in a taxi home. Last fucking time I take that chance with this team.

8 hours ago, D'Jaffo said:

is the only striker this season to give Frankie Musonda a proper game.

I assume you weren’t at Stark’s Park in September? I know Kyle Connell isn’t actually very good but he gave Ayr and Frankie the runaround that day.

13 minutes ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Dreadful game. Cove were rank but we were ranker. We obviously missed Thomas but there's a terrible inconsistency about us.

Move on.

The cons of having talented but young players. Savoury, Jarrett, Boateng, Thomson, McPake and Bannon are all aged between 19 and 22. When they’re on it, it’s a joy to watch but inconsistency is inevitable at that age. Despite the inconsistency, I’ve really enjoyed this season so far and it’s far more refreshing than last season 

Im more concerned about Robson being injured. David Boateng fills me with zero confidence as his replacement 

We need another right back. Bannon is a good centre back but need another Robson on that side. Coyle must not think very highly of Davidson or loanee Boateng. 

Jarrett has scored a couple but doesn’t generally offer much, hardly impacts the game for my liking. 

Jack Thomson was outstanding again yesterday, MOTM performance. 

I expect the fans to turn on Coyle if he plays Eze over Charlie Fox in the future, which he inevitably will. 

Edited by QPSpider1867

David Boateng hasn’t really shown much in the games I’ve seen and Eze has been a disappointment but I still hope he’ll come good. It will be good to have Charlie back and Kilday has improved a lot. Not sure what happened last night as we had some good possession but we didn’t really test their keeper.

This is a strange league!

Also, we miss Dom Thomas when he’s out. Some players have their best game when they don’t play. 

I’m a big Savoury fan so I’d have him starting every week with Dom, McPake and Murray in that system Coyle likes. 

We’ll see if he drops Savoury or Jarrett when Dom returns. 

18 minutes ago, QPSpider1867 said:

Also, we miss Dom Thomas when he’s out. Some players have their best game when they don’t play. 

I’m a big Savoury fan so I’d have him starting every week with Dom, McPake and Murray in that system Coyle likes. 

We’ll see if he drops Savoury or Jarrett when Dom returns. 

I wouldn't be dropping Jarrett, personally. I don't think he stood out as offering less of a threat than anyone else last night, and since he started getting a game recently he's been one of our better players going forward (especially considering his lack of experience at this level).

My preference, assuming Coyle wants to stick with this formation, would be to leave McPake out of the starting eleven. That would allow us to play Thomas and Savoury out wide, and Jarrett through the middle behind Murray.

1 hour ago, QPSpider1867 said:

I expect the fans to turn on Coyle if he plays Eze over Charlie Fox in the future, which he inevitably will. 

There's no way Coyle will leave Fox on the bench once he's back fit. The question is whether he'll play Eze or Kilday alongside him.

2 minutes ago, Zanetti said:

I wouldn't be dropping Jarrett, personally. I don't think he stood out as offering less of a threat than anyone else last night, and since he started getting a game recently he's been one of our better players going forward (especially considering his lack of experience at this level).

My preference, assuming Coyle wants to stick with this formation, would be to leave McPake out of the starting eleven. That would allow us to play Thomas and Savoury out wide, and Jarrett through the middle behind Murray.

I think Jarrett's been disappointing in the past couple of games. I'd keep McPake in the team with him and Thomas out wide and Savoury playing through the middle.

My worry is that we don't really have a striker on the bench we can turn to to change a game for us. It's not an easy commodity to come by, but it's definitely an area we should be looking to strengthen in January if at all possible.

Edited by Skeletar Spider

Due work didn't make it to the game but watched on the BBC, (QPFC on the box, who'd have thunk it!) Is Coyle trying to morph into a pound-shop Guardiola in that any goal scored must be rolled in from half a yard and come from a minimum of 26 passes?, all very pretty but I'm surprised Murray has any hair left given the amount of times he looked like he was tearing it out with what was going on around him.  Cove always looked comfortable in defence and it was maybe indicative given the age of the QPFC team that we seemed to get caught so easily on the counter.

Given his size Eze can neither use his head, nor seems to be able to run - all fine if he's positionally sound but that seems errant too.  Hope he's ok, but Fox and Kilday must be the preference in the centre.  I worry that given our issues hanging onto leads, (see all of last season) and a potential inability to get back into games if we go behind, it's maybe time to go five at the back.  Can't see relegation being an issue with Accies being so dreadful but it's such a tight league that we could head south rapidly if we don't shore up the defence.

2 hours ago, Hampden Diehard said:

Dreadful game. Cove were rank but we were ranker. We obviously missed Thomas but there's a terrible inconsistency about us.

Move on.

There have been much worse games on the Friday night BBC YTS trainee programme. (that woman interviewing at the end was horrendous)

Cove were quite good actually . Solid at the back and efficient on the break.

Queens had a lot of the play and might have scored 3 or 4 on another night , but for the last ditch Cove defending . 

1 hour ago, Skeletar Spider said:

There's no way Coyle will leave Fox on the bench once he's back fit. The question is whether he'll play Eze or Kilday alongside him.

Leaving Eze out will be a massive dunt for Coyle. He’s brought him and family from Africa, work visa, somewhere to live, and whatever other upheaval for a man he clearly owes something to. His promotional videos for Stephen Eze, disguised as post-match commentary, are embarrassing. No other player gets anything like that level of attention. I know nothing of Indian or Nigerian football leagues but whatever was happening there seems to be different in Scotland.

1 hour ago, Spider1975 said:

it's maybe time to go five at the back. 

Not required in my opinion and will have a negative effect on the attack half of the team, but if I’m right about Eze then it will be a convenient solution for Camp Coyle. I thought Kilday was done last year but he’s been the best defender we’ve had for consistency. We’ll have to see how quickly Charlie gets up to speed but even at 80% he’ll still be more reliable than Eze. Not sure how the head-knock rule works but it might be a convenient time to “rest” Eze for Fox. But a back five still leaves a problem with the RB position. Both goals last night came from an aggressive opponent getting in front of the RB. Davidson’s been caught a few times with that, but to be fair to the lad he’s a midfielder. And where does it leave Bannon? Thought it interesting he moved into central defence when Davidson went to right-back. 

4 hours ago, GM1867 said:

Plenty nice passing but the fear of taking a shot

Wasn’t that what brought down Laurie Ellis?

Some pretty play at times but  overall we were honking. And Thistle game aside, we’re on a honking run of form. 

Sort out the centre back situation and we’ve got a chance of building some consistency. Maybe Fox comes back in and organises Eze a bit more? The big man is just chaotic at the moment and that chaos is starting to spread.   

Thought we simultaneously looked like the better technical side and the least likely to score. So much pressure on the attacking players to deliver because we simply can’t defend. I rate Fox highly, but he’s no silver bullet. We were still leaking badly when he was in the team. 

Thought it looked the ultimate “both teams will be fine” game. Neither team bothering the promotion or relegation places come the end of the season. Was interesting to watch the game with a couple of neutrals and see it through their eyes as well. They pretty much saw a tidy footballing side with no final ball and a kamikaze defence!

Ultimately, it’s going to be that sort of season. Blowing Thistle away at Firhill and losing at Cove sums it up. 30+ games in the Championship for a number of these guys will have us looking very strong for next season, I reckon. If we can somehow manage to con Boateng into signing for us, him and Thomson could be formidable.